Texas Baseball 2025 - Show Me A Schloss

petscii

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum but I didn’t see much scanning the last few pages - is everything settled for who is and isn’t making it to campus from the recruiting class and do you guys feel good about that? Similarly, did we get any surprises, good or bad, from the guys already on campus who were drafted?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum but I didn’t see much scanning the last few pages - is everything settled for who is and isn’t making it to campus from the recruiting class and do you guys feel good about that? Similarly, did we get any surprises, good or bad, from the guys already on campus who were drafted?

Monday is the first day of class.  Then we'll know who has made it to campus.  Then we watch for flunk outs, or someone who gets hurt/dismissed during fall practice.

15 hours ago, torre said:

Dumb question by Joe Cook.   We did that with Baylor for a few years then changed back.   Inconvenient for fans and players.

We did it for both Baylor and A&M regularly in the 2000s, before the ags left the B12, which I'm certain is why he asked it.  I always attended the home games and never the road games.

Edited by utee94

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Of the high school recruits, Rainer (infielder), Gillen (outfielder), and Sterling (pitcher) were locks to get drafted highly so it wasn't a surprise to see them sign.

DeGroat (pitcher) was a coinflip-ish decision that didn't go our way.

I believe Jason Flores (pitcher) and Drew Rerick (pitcher) were the biggest wins in terms of keeping potential draft picks.

On the college player side, Jared Thomas was a near-lock to be a high draft pick and sign, no shock there. I thought there would be a small chance at bringing back LBJ for a ear of development under Weiner but once he was drafted in the 5th it was academic that he would sign. Getting Flores back is a win.

I didn't know what to expect with Witt but given everything he went through at Texas I wasn't surprised to see him move on.

They also lost two transfers to the pros, Eli Trop (pitcher, Penn) and Derek Vartanian (pitcher, Campbell), but I don't know enough about them to say whether that was expected or not.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Of the high school recruits, Rainer (infielder), Gillen (outfielder), and Sterling (pitcher) were locks to get drafted highly so it wasn't a surprise to see them sign.

DeGroat (pitcher) was a coinflip-ish decision that didn't go our way.

I believe Jason Flores (pitcher) and Drew Rerick (pitcher) were the biggest wins in terms of keeping potential draft picks.

On the college player side, Jared Thomas was a near-lock to be a high draft pick and sign, no shock there. I thought there would be a small chance at bringing back LBJ for a ear of development under Weiner but once he was drafted in the 5th it was academic that he would sign. Getting Flores back is a win.

I didn't know what to expect with Witt but given everything he went through at Texas I wasn't surprised to see him move on.

They also lost two transfers to the pros, Eli Trop (pitcher, Penn) and Derek Vartanian (pitcher, Campbell), but I don't know enough about them to say whether that was expected or not.

isnt there another portal period after the fall semester ?

5 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Vitello will earn $3 million annually after signing a record-setting five-year contract with UT on Friday. He is the first college baseball coach known to make $3 million annually. The deal runs through June 30, 2029.27 mins ago

Wrong UT thread. Fuck TN. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Vitello will earn $3 million annually after signing a record-setting five-year contract with UT on Friday. He is the first college baseball coach known to make $3 million annually. The deal runs through June 30, 2029.27 mins ago

You're welcome fuckhead

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

A bit off-topic, but I always wonder why HS kids who will be high draft picks commit to a school. What's the point? It's happened to us several times and it irks me. Maybe NIL will change that unless they're predicted to go in round 1.

We did get Jonah Williams, but he's the anomaly. 

Leverage against the team that drafts them

• Hook 'Em 4

On 8/23/2024 at 1:03 PM, Horny Bull said:

EDIT: I'm dumb and didn't read the whole thread. Oh well, can't figure out how to delete an embedded tweet.

Looks like his sister is one of the commits for rowing 

Edited by TheBryMan81

5 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

A bit off-topic, but I always wonder why HS kids who will be high draft picks commit to a school. What's the point? It's happened to us several times and it irks me. Maybe NIL will change that unless they're predicted to go in round 1.

They have to have something to post on their social media

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I'm getting old, and things in the past seem more recent than they are, but it didn't seem like Japorky should have a college-age kid.  He's 37, so it's kind of a near thing.

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

As a back up plan in case of injury.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 10:40 AM, petscii said:

Monday is the first day of class.  Then we'll know who has made it to campus.  Then we watch for flunk outs, or someone who gets hurt/dismissed during fall practice.

I do wish it were like this, but the main reason will be that players will get cut in the fall.  It's the ugly part of college baseball that so many tend to sweep under the rug.  Teams bring in more than they can keep and use the fall to see who to keep/cut.  It's tough because none of the players are told that they are a "bubble" player.  It's one of the many things that makes baseball the most difficult of the major sports to navigate for HS and college players.

• Hook 'Em 2