RIP Kinky Friedman

Seasick Sailor

He was 79. Irreverent, iconoclastic, but with a heart as big as Texas, he lived on his own terms. Truly one of a kind.

I'm trying to figure out what my favorite Kinky quote is. Among them:

1) "If elected, the first thing I'll do is demand a recount."

2) "A fool and his money are soon elected."

3) "There's a fine line between fiction and non-fiction, and I believe I snorted it in 1976."

4) "I believe musicians can run this state a lot better than politicians. We just won't get much done in the morning."

5) "Remember: Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural. All y'all's is plural possessive."

6) “Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.”

7) "Friedman's just another word for nothing left to lose."

Kinky was not a native Texan, but he once said that he had to come to Texas because we were the only state that would put up with his nonsense. It was here that he caught up to his future. There will never be another like him.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I loved that guy.  Only met him once -- I was at the Threadgill's just south of the river, waiting on my wife to get out of the bathroom and up walks Kinky.  I held the door open for him and said "hey, I heard you were jokingly considering a run for governor, but if you actually run, you've got my vote".  He looked at me kinda puzzled and said "really?"  "Yes sir."  "Huh, maybe I should run".  And he did.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I've known him since I was a kid, attended summer camp at Echo Hill Ranch and have been involved with them in recent years as they've transitioned to a nonprofit camp for kids of gold star families which that right there ought to tell you what kind of person he is along with his sister Marcie.  Had the true privilege of sitting around a firepit with him and a couple of guitars.  Incredible memories.  His was truly a Texas-sized personality.  What an immeasurable loss.  

• Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I ran into him on several occasions while out at bars around Austin. Ended up having at least a few beers with him each time. Always made for an entertaining evening. 

I forgot that one time I was drinking with him at the Draught House and he had some younger girl with him he said was his assistant. Called her "Sugar Bat". I went back inside at one point to get another beer and she came in and said, "We're going to the Broken Spoke to go two-stepping, and Kinky wants to know if you're coming with us?"

Fuck yes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2