do you want uruguay to win on monday?

Derka

do you want uruguay to beat the usmnt on monday?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. do you want uruguay to win

• yes, i want uruguay to win 5-0
    • sadly, yes
    • no i could never root for the usmnt to lose

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So 29 out of 35 Surly voters are idiots. 

Not surprised.

At least we know that 6 out of 35 voters will be around to make sound decisions going forward.

always amazes me when die hard sports fans place a sense of moral superiority over what’s best for the team that they live and die with. it is insane that a usmnt fan would rather get a result against uruguay in the group stage of the copa than to get rid of gregg berhalter and give this program an actual chance to being us *any* joy at the world cup. rather pat themselves on the back than have any chance at success and happiness. truly blows my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm willing to accept the loss when that result ended up with us getting rid of Gregg.

I am not willing to hope my team loses to hope we get rid of Gregg.

and that’s wildly misguided. you know you’ve got cancer, but some sense of pride or moral superiority prevents you from addressing the cancer and even attempting to get rid of it. you’d rather just *know* that the usmnt will embarrass itself in its home world cup, extending our period of abysmal failure another six years minimum (dating back to 2014, so 16 years of nothingness for the usmnt) all so you can feel good about not rooting against your team for one day. what a selfish, self important, misguided thing to believe. you’d rather see the usmnt be maddeningly irrelevant from 2014-2030 than to let go of some misguided (it really is the only word to describe this) sense of fan superiority. just insane.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Would you root openly hope for the men's basketball team to go 0-32 to fire Rodney Terry with a 40% chance we could rehire Rick Barnes?

i wrote up a long-ass post some time after shaka got fired about how, at the end of the abilene christian game andrew jones hit what looked to be a game winning three with just seconds remaining, and how my heart just sank. i was watching my favorite player for my no.1 life long favorite team (all sports) hitting a game winning three in the ncaa tourney and i was immediately crestfallen, knowing that it meant that shaka would remain at Texas going forward. that shit was beyond fucked up, and the AD at Texas was to blame. thankfully shaka’s poorly coached team fouled a guy and ACU sank two FTs and sent shaka packing.

i rooted for acu that night just like i rooted for uruguay the other night and i would 100/100 do it again. again, this isn’t remotely complicated: texas was totally fucked as long as shaka was the HC, and the usmnt was fucked as long as gregg was in charge, and that’s with *literally* the biggest sporting event in human history hanging in the balance, and being played on home soil no less. the biggest sporting event in history is coming here, and as long as gregg was in charge we were going to blow it, and be in a terrible spot afterward. absolutely, unequivocally, 1000% i will root to lose one game if it means even a chance of getting rid of the cancer which is visibly killing something that i love. absolute no-brainer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

btw i 100% agree with @Napoleon and his comments on the 29 voters not being cut out to lead. absolute best case scenario you’re all mack brown- way more concerned with your own perception of morality than with the bottom line of winning. can’t make tough calls that are better in the long run for everyone involved. this poll goes a long way to showing/explaining why so many of our fans seem to believe that Texas athletics should both be able to win at the highest levels *and* only sign coaches/players that are choir boys and christ-like men of god.

winning at this level and having moral superiority almost never go hand in hand. sometimes a HC needs to cuss a guy out and embarrass him in front of his team to get through to him and make him a better player. and sometimes you need to root for your team to lose today if it’s going to have any chance of winning tomorrow. you can pat yourself on the back and say, “well i would never do that; i’m above that.” so is mack brown and his 40 year career with very little hardware. meanwhile nick saban, urban meyer, and dan hurley are out here winning all of the titles. it doesn’t pay to be overly virtuous in the case of top level sports. there’s a certain level of ruthlessness that’s required, and even as fans, so many people here don’t have it.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

I may have missed something in someones explaination, but my choice has nothing to do with 'moral superiority'. I just enjoy pulling for a win. I understand where the others are coming from.  Hopefully more wins to come.  

• Like 1

It's important to remember that many plugged-in pundits felt that Berhalter was keeping his job regardless of the outcome of the Uruguay match.

His dismissal was far from a foregone conclusion, and even with the intensity of the blowback many like Crocker fought tooth and nail to not fire him. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Derka said:

1000% i will root to lose one game if it means even a chance of getting rid of the cancer which is visibly killing something that i love.

which is why i said this. ^^^ we *know* that we’re fucked under berhalter. he was the cancer, and he needed to be removed. i mean you’d donate a kidney to your dad if he needed one, right? even if it’s not a sure thing, it’s the only chance you have to save his life. while the stakes here are much lower, the logic is the same. we needed to lose to uruguay to have any chance for the usmnt to have a WC 2026 that was anything but disastrous.

Edited by Derka

42 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It's important to remember that many plugged-in pundits felt that Berhalter was keeping his job regardless of the outcome of the Uruguay match.

His dismissal was far from a foregone conclusion, and even with the intensity of the blowback many like Crocker fought tooth and nail to not fire him. 

image.png.a2754ede2f73ce34e940f3d435e01668.png

Just now, Captain Ron said:

image.png.a2754ede2f73ce34e940f3d435e01668.png

lulz, the irony. you would gladly punt the 2026 world cup for a win over uruguay in the group stage of the copa, and you think i’m the unreasonable one. 

• Hook 'Em 1