An Officer and A Gentleman

GhostOfTomJoad

Great movie.  Gossett, Jr.'s and Gere's best roles by far.  

Not all the obstacles that can trip you up are on this base. Let me tell you something about the local girls. Ever since there's been an OCS here, there's been what we call the Puget Sound Debs. Poor girls who come over on the ferry every weekend, with just one thing in mind: to marry themselves a naval aviator. A Puget Deb will tell you, "Don't worry about contraceptives. I've got that all taken care of." Don't believe it. A Puget Deb will do anything and say anything to trap you. I know this sounds silly, especially in this so-called modern age. But you scuzzy college pukes better watch out, because they're out there. And YOU are the answer to their dream!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Great movie.  Gossett, Jr.'s and Gere's best roles by far.  

Not all the obstacles that can trip you up are on this base. Let me tell you something about the local girls. Ever since there's been an OCS here, there's been what we call the Puget Sound Debs. Poor girls who come over on the ferry every weekend, with just one thing in mind: to marry themselves a naval aviator. A Puget Deb will tell you, "Don't worry about contraceptives. I've got that all taken care of." Don't believe it. A Puget Deb will do anything and say anything to trap you. I know this sounds silly, especially in this so-called modern age. But you scuzzy college pukes better watch out, because they're out there. And YOU are the answer to their dream!

So somehow these fellas just skipped basic and went straight to Officer Candidate School? Did I miss something? Of course, it has been several years since I've seen this movie. 

they skipped over a buncha shit between 1310-1390.  I guess, call it 'Artistic License'   The whole point was to show Gere and Gossett together.  There's a director's cut somewhere that supposedly has more of the background of Mayo going into the Navy, dealing with his Father, getting back in with his class between his friend's suicide, the kickboxing deal, and graduation.  Maybe it's covered in there, but I've never seen it.  

I always liked that just as the Ensign insignia has 5 points, there are 5 moments that Mayo proves his worth to the Gunny.  When he admits he has no other options in life, when he steps up during training mishap while everybody else stands bewildered, when he loses his friend to suicide but pushes on so nobody else will suffer the same fate, when he challenges Foley to the fight of their lives, and when he gives up on the obstacle course record to help Seeger over the wall.  

Seriously though, what the fuck happened to Debrah Winger after that? 

2 hours ago, lateshow said:

So somehow these fellas just skipped basic and went straight to Officer Candidate School? Did I miss something? Of course, it has been several years since I've seen this movie. 

I don't think Navy OCS requires a candidate attend basic training. Army OCS does.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Seriously though, what the fuck happened to Debrah Winger after that? 

She starred in a small unknown film called Terms of Endearment. I think she quit acting in the 90's and later returned as older Debra Winger.

I remember seeing her in The Patriot as John Lakeman's mom.

Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I always liked the subtle dig at Oklahoma from Lynette when she says something to the effect of "Why would I move to Oklahoma when I can be miserable here?"

I literally spit my beer out once.  Was at that old, shitty Hooter's on Riverside 'cause they had cheap drafts before UT baseball games.  And there was this old timer regular next to me.  And some dude comes in and proposes to one of the waitresses (real classy move) and picks her up in a hug (not carrying her out though).  And the guy next to me shouts, "Good for you Paula!"  I thought I was gonna piss myself.  Nobody else in the joint was even born when the movie came out.  

Took me until just a few years ago then Ensign Seeger was also Jenny from "Beverly Hills Cop."  

Nostalgia aside, it really was the finest hour for both Gere and Gossett.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I always liked the subtle dig at Oklahoma from Lynette when she says something to the effect of "Why would I move to Oklahoma when I can be miserable here?"

I literally spit my beer out once.  Was at that old, shitty Hooter's on Riverside 'cause they had cheap drafts before UT baseball games.  And there was this old timer regular next to me.  And some dude comes in and proposes to one of the waitresses (real classy move) and picks her up in a hug (not carrying her out though).  And the guy next to me shouts, "Good for you Paula!"  I thought I was gonna piss myself.  Nobody else in the joint was even born when the movie came out.  

Took me until just a few years ago then Ensign Seeger was also Jenny from "Beverly Hills Cop."  

Nostalgia aside, it really was the finest hour for both Gere and Gossett.  

I don't want no okie from muskogee!

• Hook 'Em 1

Love lift us up where we belong is an all time movie ballad.
It's a pretty fascinating story about how that song came together & well worth digging into. Briefly, the execs at Paramount wanted to release a single to promote the film but didn't have any money. The director, Taylor Hackford,got involved, which led to him consulting a friend who used to work @ Warner Bros records & at the time had just begun managing Jennifer Warnes.

Jennifer immediately said she wanted to perform a duet w/ Joe Cocker. They convinced Hackford & others that the contrast of their smooth/rough voices would parallel the characters Winger & Gere were portraying.

The music was already there as part of the score that had been written. They spliced the song together from existing parts, added some lyrics & there it was.

Cocker had to be coaxed to record the song in the studio w/ Warnes. He was terrified at first, but they nailed it in a couple takes. Hackford loved it & and knew it was the perfect song for the ending of his film. The studio execs thought it was garbage & tried to force Hackford to use 'On the Wings of Love' by Jeffrey Osborne. It was only because they were out of money & time that Hackford was allowed to get his way.
  • Hook 'Em 2