• Zverev
    • Medvedev
    • Rublev
    • Ruud
    • Tsitsipas
    • Rune
    • Other

Brad Gilbert is Gauff's coach?

Yeah. For a few years now. Gauff had that meltdown years ago when her forehand was really letting her down. I think she yelled out on court “I need a new coach” or something like that. She’s been much better with BG.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Napoleon said:

IN OTHER NEWS:

Glad that we’re rid of Iga. She wasn’t going to win it, was probably going to get crushed by Ostapenko, but the announcers drooling over her every swing of the racquet got old a long time ago.

Next up is Coco, with a similar regarded forehand grip, getting knocked out and completely shocking the announcers. 

Coco has a better serve, but much shittier consistency with her forehand. 

As I was saying…

Navarro beats Coco’s shitty-ass forehand and is on to the quarters in straight sets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

As I was saying…

Navarro beats Coco’s shitty-ass forehand and is on to the quarters in straight sets.

Navarro seemed to be picking on Gauff's forehand all match and was rewarded with a lot of unforced errors.

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You do know why on this one, right? 

He left Citigroup in 1997, and in 1998 founded Sherman Financial Group, a global diversified investment services company.[7] In 2005, Sherman bought a small bank and renamed it Credit One Bank, now a major credit card issuer focused on subprime borrowers.[8]

The bank park I just assumed.  Didn't realize he was part of the subprime sector. I wonder what kind of interest they charge on credit cards?  

image.thumb.png.188aec66ad35e4929b9603d28ef476b0.png

5 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Damn. The grass monster is taking people out right and left today.

It's the damn roof - they needed it but it gets really humid in there. Doesn’t help that nobody serves and volleys anymore.

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Hook ‘Em Lulu!

She’s in for a nice payday - $480k for making a QF. That along with the big boost in the rankings really will help her career - automatic entry to better tournaments and the opportunity to continue to climb. A performance like this can be career-altering…and she's not done yet.

17 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Brad Gilbert is Gauff's coach?

Also "the first player in program history to reach the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam."  I'm a little surprised.

16 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Yeah. For a few years now. Gauff had that meltdown years ago when her forehand was really letting her down. I think she yelled out on court “I need a new coach” or something like that. She’s been much better with BG.

He's an excellent coach, but his quirky personality eventually wears players out. She will have a great run with him, this tournament not withstanding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indomitable said:

He's an excellent coach, but his quirky personality eventually wears players out. She will have a great run with him, this tournament not withstanding.

She has greatly improved her serve under his tutelage, but until she fixes that shitty extreme grip forehand that is best on clay courts and then on slow hard courts, she’ll keep getting knocked out of Wimbledon as soon as she gets to the round of 16.

She is basically swinging a racquet that’s face is parallel with the ground and if the ball isn’t checking up, she’s fucked. 

Iga’s forehand is the same and she’s such a mental basket case and can’t deal with not being in control, so she basically skips the grass court season and then plays Wimbledon out of obligation.

With the Olympics coming up back in Paris, Iga wants to wake up and win a Gold and Coco will try to slide into a Silver. With the exception of the serve, Coco is a poor man’s Iga…

…but with all the pigment. 

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

^^^ I like how they socially distance themselves on the post match, on-court interview.  I guess Covid is still a thing in SW19.

I think that they may have found during COVID that it is easier to film if they distance themselves and that they don’t need to send a camera man down to the court to get good shots of both the interviewer and the interviewee.

Also better for a direct view from the crowd. 

…but yes, in the grand COVID scheme of things, it does seem like a relic from another time. 

6 hours ago, Indomitable said:

Didn't watch but Novak likes to find another reason to take on the crowd. Fires him up. 

His childlike mind is more fragile to being criticized than Kevin Durant. One of the most unlikeable tennis players in the history of the sport. My younger brother still plays competitive tennis (Won the doubles tournament in Texas in 2022 that got him to nationals in San Diego the following spring) and he really does not like Djokovic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

His childlike mind is more fragile to being criticized than Kevin Durant. One of the most unlikeable tennis players in the history of the sport. My younger brother still plays competitive tennis (Won the doubles tournament in Texas in 2022 that got him to nationals in San Diego the following spring) and he really does not like Djokovic. 

He seems to share some similarities with Michael Jordan. Always looking for a slight somewhere, even if somewhat imagined. Pumps him up. We've all seen crowds give him shit multiple times and it fuels him.

I was always a big Roger guy so I disliked him at first, but you have to give the guy his due. He's the GOAT by any metric. On the Federer Twelve Days doc, he talks about how he likes and respects the guy. If one of his biggest rivals can say that, it's good enough for me.

13 hours ago, Indomitable said:

Didn't watch but Novak likes to find another reason to take on the crowd. Fires him up. 

pretty funny.  hope an american wins it but good for him if he wins it.  he is certainly the GOAT.

15 minutes ago, Indomitable said:

Lulu going to 3rd set

The sun appears to be setting on Lulu.

Vekic was serving for the 3rd set, but Lulu broke back to get back on serve. But since that, it has been all Donna.

15 hours ago, Indomitable said:

i don't like novak but this is pretty funny.  those guys were idiots.

On 7/8/2024 at 7:58 PM, Indomitable said:

He's a different kind of guy, but the best tennis player ever. 

When he lost the Wimby final to Murray he was pretty cool about it and basically said, "if I have to lose it might as well be to him." 

16 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Wow, Vekic is a comely lass.

Yes. Former Gf of Stan the Man 

On 7/9/2024 at 8:06 AM, dcar00 said:

pretty funny.  hope an american wins it but good for him if he wins it.  he is certainly the GOAT.

I'm with McEnroe on this 

• Haha 1