RIP Michael Corcoran

Had to look, he was 68 and probably in generally poor health. Seems like maybe he was just coming into his own when I was there, mid- to late-80s.

But yeah, he just fit with the Austin ouevre in a way not many writers did.

RIP.

• Like 1

Even if you found Corcoran to be a bit smug in his writing, you never missed a column. He was a master at his craft and knew everything about Austin music.  There's no one left to fill that void.  Just another nail in the coffin of the Austin music scene.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

My best Corky story has been told before, but that's never stopped me:

I was a volunteer for SXSW 2, working for Margaret Moser on "security".  (If you know me in real life you know how comical that is.)  I had the brilliant idea that we should provide sober rides for festival attendees, so Margaret got Louis Black (asshole) on board, and he told me to rent a Chevy van.  I did.  I drove that thing all over town for 4 straight nights, and I typically only had one passenger at any given time -- Corky.  He was pretty much continuously hammered, but a whole lot of fun to hang out with.  I don't think he ever got my name right.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Late to the show here, but thought he was terrific talent and perfect for the Austin music scene.  RIP.

This piece has some good quotes from him.

https://austin.towers.net/michael-corcoran-never-stopped-believing-in-sixth-street/?pro=jude@towers.net

Michael Corcoran Never Stopped Believing in Sixth Street

corcoran_photo_feature.jpg

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Posted (edited)

I got here in 1979 and he became as much of the music scene in Austin as the music itself over time.  Hell he just retired recently too.  I am pretty sure I was standing next to him at the Soulhat reunion show at Antones last fall.  

RIP you had a good run! 

Here is his Black Cat recollections https://michaelcorcoran.substack.com/p/clubland-paradise-black-cat-lounge

Edited by horn4life

Posted (edited)

That is a bummer. never met him personally, but saw him in clubs many many times in the late 80s and 90s.

He always look hammered or hungover - was just the way it was.

His articles in the Chronicle (or maybe it was the Stateman - memories fade) during that time where must reading.

Edited by yoladu

Somebody more astute than I should dig up his bit about new names for Zeitgeist (which became The Reivers).  I think one name was something like "No, We Never Did It, OK Maybe Once In The Van On Tour".

Well, funnier than I wrote it.

On 7/13/2024 at 4:33 PM, CooterBrown said:

Is there even a relevant music venue left on Dirty Sixth?  Everything is on Red River or the east side.  Once developers finally make inroads on Red River, that's probably it for the Austin music scene.

I don't even think of 6th for music... to me it is Red River.  Hope they won't screw it up but, that said, the scene will move and evolve.  The east side scene is growing.  It will shift.  For now, I love Red River...  go support live music this weekend.