The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

16 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

It will probably by Roy Hodgson. 

I'd bite your arm off for Roy Hodgson.

It would be fun to have a perfectly cromulent, mediocre, retread for once instead of an mls hack.  Someone like Roberto Martinez or Ronald Koeman or David Moyes.  Even those names are probably aiming too high but they popped into my head.

Saudi Arabia hired Roberto Mancini for fuck's sake.

Edited by WBT

42 minutes ago, Derka said:

surely there’s some 32 year old german guy out there at some bundesliga 2 club who can coach circles around gregg and who would like to coach in a world cup. go get that guy.

Shit, I'd take a guy like Liam Rosenoir that's shown some tactical aptitude abd flexibility.

Wilfried Nancy, Steve Cherundolo, or the guy in Philly are the most likely candidates if they move on from Berhalter, in my opinion.

They want someone who they know and can control. The three are MLS managers and won’t go off script. 

That Matt Crocker guy is a worthless bitch who probably jumped to US Soccer because he was about to get fired as the club he was with was being relegated.

No one who would demand $3M or more will be hired. 

Also, US Soccer is only getting about $10 to $15 million from this Copa America after getting about $47 million from Copa America Centenario 2016.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll take Sheriff Tom Palmer from Elma Texas
c9017ab36d4f2ff3394345fe365d962e.jpg

Look at this group of misfits + a spray painted goat he coached to beat the talented knights

All we need is a group of vulnerable believers, an illegal that starves off deportation to rally around and a hot English woman to form a romantic relationship with on the side.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

as a quick reminder:

Emma Hayes makes about $2m.

You know what - I'm tired about people bitching about the women and equity.

First off I question that this is true as the CBA is between the players and the federation, until I see it in writing of the CBA, this is just a guess.

And SECOND - Last I checked the Women have won 4 Olympic Gold Medals and 4 World Cups! They have every right to be pissed the men are paid on par with them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

First off I question that this is true as the CBA is between the players and the federation, until I see it in writing of the CBA, this is just a guess.

And SECOND - Last I checked the Women have won 4 Olympic Gold Medals and 4 World Cups! They have every right to be pissed the men are paid on par with them.

most folks think it's a policy (coach pay), likely not in writing in the CBA. either way, it's a dumb policy if that's the case. not asking to pay someone $30m or even $10m but why limit the pool of potential hires right off the bat?

the prior guy to Hayes was making <$500k. that's the fault of the USSF, that shouldn't have to be outlined in a CBA or a MOU with the players. just pay appropriately and don't be a cheapass.

side note: im fine w/ parity on pay for players, as far as i know this isn't the NBA vs WBNA on revenue. i just think it's dumb to limit the coach pay for one based on the other. if Pep says he will come coach the USMNT for $10m/year - about half what he's making now - do you say no because you are paying Emma Hayes $2m?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I do think Klopp would be a better fit immediately, though. If we're talking high profile international managers. I don't think the Federation has the guts to go after guys like Pep and Klopp. 

Of course they don't.  The very idea is laughable.

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I do think Klopp would be a better fit immediately, though. If we're talking high profile international managers. I don't think the Federation has the guts to go after guys like Pep and Klopp. 

he was paid like 18-20m euros. even if you half it to 10 it's still more than the USSF is going to pay

they are going to cheap out, waste the most talented generation this nation has ever produced, waste a home world cup. i would have more faith in Trev Alberts falling into a good hire for the USMNT than i have in the USSF hiring the right guy.

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

im fine w/ parity on pay for players, as far as i know this isn't the NBA vs WBNA on revenue. i just think it's dumb to limit the coach pay for one based on the other. if Pep says he will come coach the USMNT for $10m/year - about half what he's making now - do you say no because you are paying Emma Hayes $2m?

Maybe pay her more cuz she wins? Just spitballing here.

Win and USSF probably gets some better revenue.

28 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Pay should be proportional to the sponsorship money brought in and I can only imagine the women do very well.  Americans love a winner.

As actual footballing nations in Europe have started caring about the women's game, they may start to reach equality with the men in more ways than one.

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The knives are out, he is done. Time to hire a big name, money whip a great coach. Give the women's coach the same pay raise to match the guy's coach and tell her she is fired if she flames out in the first knockout round of the world cup again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

the big names that write checks to fifa care fuckall about the us federation, the Men's national team or their supporters, and have proven as much in the past 20 years

it's prima facie - if they did give a fuck cindy parlow would not be in charge of the fed, SUM would not have conrtrolled the money for 25 years, klinsmann would have never been fired, berhalter would have never been hired, and stupid amateur decision after stupid amateur decision about rosters, friendlies/stadiums/dates, etc.etc.etc. would have never been taken

the us men's national team is an obstacle and albatross that consumes resources as far as the large corporate sponsors headquartered in the us are concerned

when was the last time you saw a mastercard or coke "go us men" commercial?

you never have

and you never will

• Hook 'Em 4

didn't expect Tab to jump in that hard

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

the big names that write checks to fifa care fuckall about the us federation, the Men's national team or their supporters, and have proven as much in the past 20 years

it's prima facie - if they did give a fuck cindy parlow would not be in charge of the fed, SUM would not have conrtrolled the money for 25 years, klinsmann would have never been fired, berhalter would have never been hired, and stupid amateur decision after stupid amateur decision about rosters, friendlies/stadiums/dates, etc.etc.etc. would have never been taken

the us men's national team is an obstacle and albatross that consumes resources as far as the large corporate sponsors headquartered in the us are concerned

when was the last time you saw a mastercard or coke "go us men" commercial?

you never have

and you never will

i agree with everything you said.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The MLS coach point above is so salient. In the past, it made some sense since most of the player pool was MLS based. But now, it's near 100% top 5 Euro league based and we need a manager that understands how Italy differs from England from France and how to meld all that together into a cohesive strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Wilfried Nancy, Steve Cherundolo, or the guy in Philly are the most likely candidates if they move on from Berhalter, in my opinion.

They want someone who they know and can control. The three are MLS managers and won’t go off script. 

That Matt Crocker guy is a worthless bitch who probably jumped to US Soccer because he was about to get fired as the club he was with was being relegated.

No one who would demand $3M or more will be hired. 

Also, US Soccer is only getting about $10 to $15 million from this Copa America after getting about $47 million from Copa America Centenario 2016.

violent agreement

adding that after the tells (camera from space, var ruling, bitch ref not shaking hands after fucking us) this will be the last copa cash cow in the US and i predict immigration issues for all south american teams in 2 years

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

This chatter is way too damn loud, the fact that there are so many articles up asking about this ...

even if they fire him it doesn't matter because of parlow's cba

the 99 team trashed the men's program and set the tone for the woke 20s group to finally destroy what we have been trying to build for 30 years

the amount of wasted time $ and energy building towards 26 is a tragedy unfolding

those of us who have given decades of our lives and massive treasure to build the supporters culture have seen it's demolition come to fruition

way to go megan rapinoe

the jews did not do this

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Emma Hayes is the highest-paid women's coach in the world.     USSF can spend more money on a new mens coach the question is will they.   Either way for 2+ million there are plenty of options better than GGG.

until they do so they haven't

way too many people are picking up on the parlow/cba/$1.6m problem for it to be fictitious

until the fed comes out and says the problem doesn't exist, ipso facto, it exists

• Hook 'Em 1

🇺🇸 Gregg Berhalter & the USMNT knew the measuring stick going into Copa América
They fell well short.
Jon Arnold
Jul 2

Reporting from the home of the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs¹

The measuring stick for the United States, and its manager Gregg Berhalter, in this summer’s Copa América was clear. “You must get this far to continue riding this ride,” it may have said. The minimum was the quarterfinals. Stand on tippy-toes and maybe it’s a semifinal - or something even more memorable.

Reach that standard, and it would’ve been a clear signal to U.S. fans and the world: This team is going in the right direction. Big things are coming when it hosts the World Cup in 2026.

Instead it fell short, and it’s impossible to believe it’s true that things are progressing well, that things are going in the right direction. It’s impossible to believe the United States is a team that could actually lift the World Cup in two years.

That means changes, and in international soccer where you can’t go out and buy another forward or midfielder or anyone else, the easiest thing to do is to change the manager.

Even when you think about the players you’d buy, this U.S. team really should be good enough. Sure, you can come up with upgrades, but compared to other teams in Concacaf and even the Americas, it’s a very talented group.

It should’ve gotten out of the group. It should challenge Argentina, Brazil, the Uruguay team that controlled it and secured a 1-0 win in what goalscorer Mathías Olivera told me “you could see was the most difficult game of the group because of the team they have.” And it didn’t. It fell short of the standard.

“It’s really about learning from this whole month,” Berhalter said after the contest. “It’s learning from these high-level games we’re playing pre-tournament and in-tournament and us having the collective understanding that the margins are so small, and there’s very little separating any of these teams and we have to treat every game as the same.”

Despite what some frustrated fans might say, Berhalter is a smart guy, and he’s been in the game a long time. He’s right about the margins in international soccer. They’re tight, and they’re only getting smaller.

That’s why Berhalter has to go.

Whether this team needs someone who is less of a ‘players coach’ and makes life less comfortable for them, someone with more experience as a club manager or just a fresh face with new ideas, something has to change.

The margins are slim. The difference between success and failure at this tournament was, functionally, one goal. But everyone knows that going into a major tournament. Calls might not go your way. Mistakes will be made. The manager has to lead the response to those moments of adversity. The U.S. collapsed in those tough times.

“Do I think this team is good enough to compete with good teams? Of course I do,” defender Jedi Robinson said after. “We didn’t put ourselves in very good spots last game. If we don’t go down to 10 men I think we win comfortably. This game is a test to show we can play against a good team and advance. That didn’t happen. We didn’t get the job done.”

The players aren’t free of blame by any stretch, either. Whether red cards, defensive errors, a seeming fear of creativity in the final third or too low a work rate, the team wasn’t good enough as a unit in the Copa América.

“We have to look at each other and speak to each other and look at ourselves and have tough conversations with ourselves,” center back Tim Ream said. “There’s no other way to get around it. You can’t paper over the cracks, you can’t hide from the facts.

“That’s conversations among the players, and that’s important. It’s where the leadership group comes in. We’re all very, very experienced players and we have to speak up and be that type especially with the disappointment of tonight.”

U.S. Soccer’s leadership group also will be having those conversations, with sporting director Matt Crocker saying in a statement “We will be conducting a comprehensive review of our performance in Copa America and how best to improve the team and results as we look towards the 2026 World Cup.”

My suspicion is that means lining up someone who can replace Berhalter to be announced shortly after the, ‘Thank you, Gregg,’

Those conversations will be tough. These are human beings, people with families, people who get to know and like each other. But this also is a results-based industry. The results needed were clear, and the U.S. didn’t measure up.

July 2, 2024

Good morning! The USMNT is out of the Copa America, but there will still be plenty of action for U.S. teams on the international front this summer. The USA will field teams in both soccer competitions at the Olympics for the first time since 2008. As usual, soccer starts before the Opening Ceremonies – the men against France July 24 in Marseille, the women against Zambia the next day in Nice. On July 19, the U.S. U-20 men begin the defense of their Concacaf championship title, while the USA opens against reigning champion Spain on Sept. 1 at the Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Colombia. We'll be covering all the action.

Soccer America Daily is edited by Paul Kennedy and Mike Woitalla.
COPA AMERICA
USA crashes out: ‘It’s an empty feeling right now’
Gregg Berhalter head coach of the United States after the match during a Copa America 2024 Group C match between Uruguay and United States at Arrowhead Stadium on July 1, 2024 in Kansas City, Missouri. Photo: Robin Alam/ISI Photos

The USA has exited the Copa America in the group stage.

An early exit of historic proportions:

• No Copa America host has ever before been eliminated in the group stage since Conmebol introduced its current format with group play leading into the quarterfinals in 1993.

• The USMNT failed to advance out of the group stage of a major tournament at which it participated with its "A" team for the first since the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

The only world power the USA ended up playing at this year’s Copa America was Uruguay, and it never did enough to seriously threaten La Celeste, losing 1-0.

The Uruguay game ended up being the USA’s one chance to get a signature win at the Copa America, and it failed. Nor did it get a signature performance at the tournament.

• What They're Saying: “They worked extremely hard, put in a great effort against a really good team,” U.S. coach Gregg Berhalter said after the match. “But that needs to be the standard every time we step on the field, that needs to be the same effort.”

• Top of the News: Gregg Berhalter: 'We did not perform up to expectations at all' (By Paul Kennedy)

KANSAS CITY, MO - JULY 1: Tyler Adams #4 of the United States turning with the ball during a Copa America 2024 Group C match between Uruguay and United States at Arrowhead Stadium on July 1, 2024 in Kansas City, Missouri. By Robin Alam/ISI Photos

• U.S. Player Ratings (USA vs. Uruguay):
5: Adams.
4: Turner, Scally, Reyna, Pulisic, Balogun, Pepi, Sargent.
3: Ream, Richards, A.Robinson, McKennie, Musah, Wright.
(Game Report by Mike Woitalla)
• Your view? Comment here with how you viewed the U.S. performance.

Christian Pulisic #10 of the United States attempting to shake the hand of referee Kevin Ortega during a Copa America 2024 Group C match between Uruguay and United States at Arrowhead Stadium on July 1, 2024 in Kansas City, Missouri. By Robin Alam/ISI Photos

USMNT (group-stage exits):
1950 World Cup (1 win, 2 losses)
1990 World Cup (3 losses)
1993 Copa America (1 tie, 2 losses)
1998 World Cup (3 losses)
2003 Confederations Cup (1 tie, 2 losses)
2006 World Cup  (1 tie, 2 losses)
2007 *Copa America (3 losses)
2024 Copa America (1 win, 2 losses)
*Sent "B" team.
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: MATT CROCKER
@ussoccer_ENT/U.S. Soccer.
@ussoccer_ENT/U.S. Soccer.

“Our tournament performance fell short of our expectations. We must do better. We will be conducting a comprehensive review of our performance in Copa America and how best to improve the team and results as we look towards the 2026 World Cup.”

-- U.S. Soccer sporting director Matt Crocker, who oversaw the search that led to Gregg Berhalter's rehiring as head coach, in a statement issued by the federation that the 1-0 loss to Uruguay eliminated the USA from the Copa America.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1