The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

It feels like there is a lot of momentum with ex-players and media to make a move and go get a big name. 

But board looks like it was constructed as the result of a DEI study conducted by McKinsey. Not that I have problem with diversity, but there’s a lot of “who the fuck is this guy” on the US Soccer board. 

17 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Well that same board just made an outstanding hire for the women's team, now time to use that same formula to hire a new men's coach.

Solid point. It’s just the bold decisive action is needed. To Twellman’s point, we can’t have a 14 month study that results in an MLS retread. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Derka said:

surely there’s some 32 year old german guy out there at some bundesliga 2 club who can coach circles around gregg and who would like to coach in a world cup. go get that guy.

Not sure if you made that up off the top of your head, but that exact guy actually does exist.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/fabian-hurzeler-who-is-st-pauli-s-us-born-coach-former-bayern-munich-youth-player-22956

Houston born Fabian Hurzeler just took St Pauli back up to the Bundesliga and was just hired by Brighton, becoming the youngest premier league manager ever at the ripe age of 31.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Not sure if you made that up off the top of your head, but that exact guy does exist.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/fabian-hurzeler-who-is-st-pauli-s-us-born-coach-former-bayern-munich-youth-player-22956

Houston born Fabian Hurzeler just took St Pauli back up to the Bundesliga and was just hired by Brighton, becoming the youngest premier league manager ever at the ripe age of 31.

lol wow. hey, i’m sold. he already sounds like he’s light years ahead of gregg. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Not sure if you made that up off the top of your head, but that exact guy actually does exist.

I'm a fan of their girl.  

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ll take Sheriff Tom Palmer from Elma Texas
c9017ab36d4f2ff3394345fe365d962e.jpg

Look at this group of misfits + a spray painted goat he coached to beat the talented knights

All we need is a group of vulnerable believers, an illegal that starves off deportation to rally around and a hot English woman to form a romantic relationship with on the side.

That’s the older sister from the Wonder Years. And she’s British. Who knew?

• Drool 1

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Pick him up!

Jurgen Klopp has unexpected stance on taking USA job after Copa America humiliation

Jurgen Klopp could cut short his break from coaching if the USMNT fires Gregg Berhalter, with the former Liverpool coach said to be open to considering one of two national team roles
liverpool

Jurgen Klopp hasn't ruled out the USMNT role but isn't rushing to return from his coaching break.

Former Liverpool coach Jurgen Klopp may be tempted by the United States men's national team role should U.S. Soccer part ways with current head coach Gregg Berhalter.

U.S. Soccer is currently conducting a "comprehensive review" of the USMNT's performance at Copa America after the team failed to make it out of the group stages. A 1-0 defeat to Uruguay on Monday eliminated the USMNT from the competition, following a shock 2-1 defeat against Panama on June 27.

Some fans have called for Berhalter to be fired, just 12 months after the coach was re-hired by U.S. Soccer and trusted with leading the team through the 2026 World Cup cycle. These USMNT supporters are demanding Berhalter is replaced by an elite coach who won't waste a talented roster, with Pep Guardiola and Klopp being mentioned as ambitious candidates.

Klopp is currently on a break from coaching after leaving Liverpool at the end of last season and is yet to decide his future. However, according to a Q&A reply in The Athletic earlier this year, the USMNT job is one that the German would consider.

After nine years at Liverpool, Klopp called time on his legacy at Anfield and admitted he doesn't have the energy to continue at the same pace. "It's out of the question that I'll stop working altogether," Klopp told the Willipedia podcast after leaving Liverpool. "But I don't see myself continuing at the same pace as before at the moment."

This admission from Klopp has led fans to speculate he could be waiting for the ideal national role to present itself, and according to The Athletic's Simon Hughes, only two nations are attractive. "The only national job he'd take would be Germany. Or maybe, USA," Hughes said during a Q&A.

With the Germany national team currently performing well under coach Julian Nagelsmann, it's unlikely they would make a change. But should U.S. Soccer fire Berhalter then Klopp could be brought in on a short-term contract, and his ability to develop young players would make him a dream hire.

Berhalter is aware of the pressure and media speculation, and following Monday's exit from Copa America, he was asked if he's still the right man to lead the USMNT. Berhalter bluntly replied "Yes" before admitting performances hadn't been up to the required standard.

The decision now rests with U.S. Soccer as they've been preparing for the 2026 World Cup over the past decade, with the tournament being co-hosted in the United States. U.S. Soccer Federation sporting director Matt Crocker was the man who re-hired Berhalter, and he's since released a statement following the Copa America disaster.

"Our tournament performance fell short of our expectations. We must do better," Crocker said in a statement. "We will be conducting a comprehensive review of our performance in Copa America and how best to improve the team and results as we look towards the 2026 World Cup."

• Drool 1

ussf is going to offer me the job before they even give klopp’s agent a call. their motives are not related to building a strong federation and a strong men’s national team. seeking an elite manager is not going to be on the agenda for the ussf until all of its current shot callers are gone.

the current state/members of the ussf are also the no.1 reason we underperforming as a nation. you give this generation of players one serious coach, one real deal hire, and watch the trickle down effect that comes with top flight professionalism and winning. that’s what would turn us into a soccer power faster than anything. of course as i said, that will never happen until pretty much everyone within the ussf is gone. so, not in my lifetime.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

There is a reason that Amazon has a leadership principle that is "Bias for action"

Even waiting 1 day (they weren't firing Gregg night of the game), cost USSF a shot at easily the simplest option that allowed them to keep their narrative and pretty much get the fans on board with the hire as we watched him do his job.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The best I can do is a lackluster group 2nd place finish and then getting chokeslammed by the Dutch.

Don't forget qualifying on differential and celebrating it like we won.  

"Alright boysth!  Dust don't lose 4-nil!"  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Win us a World Cup?  How about get us to the final 8?

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

how about win any game you aren't favored to win (non Mexico category)? in any tournament or friendly?

not asking for the guy to raise the world cup trophy, just have a good showing.

3 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I’d settle for reliably beating Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica. 

I would settle for playing a style of play that fits our players and puts them in the best position to succeed. I don't think it's by accident that the best this team looked in the last 6 years was the stretch under the interim coaches where those guys were played everyone in natural positions with an attacking style that worked for that roster. Because when you do that, being able to get results will happen (see the Nations League final state when we outclassed Mexico and Canada easily and were never threatened).

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

For the casuals reading this thread, one thing I would note about national team jobs - they are a lot less work/stress than club jobs. Club jobs are a grind - day in day out always needing to be in coach mode. If you aren't coaching your team, you're figuring out how to make them better. Sure, you get some time off during the summers, but It's maybe a month.

National team coaches have a lot more down time. Yes, they do look at what they can do to make the team better, but the don't have nearly the player scouting that a pro team would, because you can't change your player pool. They basically kick into gear around national team windows. Bring in the team, practice, play, everyone takes off. Get more down time. 

So a guy like Klopp leaves Liverpool because he is tired. A gig like the US (or any other country's) national team would be cushy. Relatively speaking.

On 7/2/2024 at 9:09 AM, WBT said:

Pay should be proportional to the sponsorship money brought in and I can only imagine the women do very well.  Americans love a winner.

As actual footballing nations in Europe have started caring about the women's game, they may start to reach equality with the men in more ways than one.

this.  does anyone have any numbers on men's and women's sponsorship dollars brought in?

48 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

minus 1 point for not using "a reliable dispatching of" instead of "beating" in the futbol thread.  Need to up your soccer pretentiousness game.

A reliable dispatching of concacaf minnows. 

Edit: But seriously, as an Everton fan I’ve spent years hating the sight of this man. But thinking about it, he’s the perfect fit for this team and I’d love to have him. His style is perfect for our player pool. 

Free Timmy to go get it done. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Hook 'Em 1