The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of swift action is the big tell. 

I heard somebody say when USSF dumped the women’s coach, it was about 10 days after the last loss. We are still inside that window.

Posted (edited)

The banter has spread everywhere. This morning on XM College sports the hosts were going on about how pathetic Gergg’s performance was in the Copa, using the typical sports trope I WISH I COULD PERFORM AS BAD AS THAT AND STILL KEEP MY JOB. And the guests hosts on Cowherd lead the entire broadcast with it yesterday. Days after the Panama game (I don’t listen to cowherd just happened to still be on that frequency from the day before I SWEAR!)

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

NVxk-L.gif

Crocker taking down his LinkedIn makes me nervous. I could see the USSF sticking with Gergg, shutting themselves off from the public, and bunkering down until the inevitable storm subsides.

I just don’t see how this happens. They would very much lose the fan support. While I don’t think our fans miss out on World Cup, if Gregg’s around, they botcott the friendlies in Sept. and given that you have nothing but friendlies until the World Cup, I have a feeling they would be very empty.

Greggs done, they are just working out the details. 

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

The banter has spread everywhere. This morning on XM College sports the hosts were going on about how pathetic Gergg’s performance was in the Copa, using the typical sports trope I WISH I COULD PERFORM AS BAD AS THAT AND STILL KEEP MY JOB. And the guests hosts on Cowherd lead the entire broadcast with it yesterday. Days after the Panama game (I don’t listen to cowherd just happened to still be on that frequency from the day before I SWEAR!)

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

The pitchforks are way out for him. They cannot ignore it. 

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

It’s either GGG or Klopp. 

If giving these two worthless options, I would honestly be willing to go ahead and give Klopp a try only because we’ve already seen when what GGG can do.

image.gif.d9f6b8ae9721c931c5f406f821ef7b84.gif

Something that was posted a couple of pages back that still pisses me off.

If they really had the chance to get Bielsa and didn’t hire him because of the language barrier, we should literally behead everyone involved.  75% of the players speak Spanish already and the rest should have a soccer functional level of fluency.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I think it's pretty obvious that we're just waiting for the end of the MLS season so that we can hire the guy who coached the team that finishes 10th (or maybe we'll shoot for the stars and go for the guy that finishes 9th!)

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that we're just waiting for the end of the MLS season so that we can hire the guy who coached the team that finishes 10th (or maybe we'll shoot for the stars and go for the guy that finishes 9th!)

In a world where Fitlump became a city councilwoman, I can see Josh Wolff becoming the head coach of the USMNT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'll admit I have not watched a lot of MLS, but what could we expect from a 'Dolo-coached team? I see LAFC is in first at the moment, but not sure if that's due to them having an expensive roster or not. 

Same ol same ol

8 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Troy Lesesne is being punished enough 

You know the folks at US Soccer are all, "Why couldn't you just get out of the 1st round and play competitively against Brazil or Colombia?".  You know they were ready to just chill and reap in the attention, money, and rewards of the next 2 years.  Now, they have to actually do their job(s).  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/7/2024 at 8:53 AM, LurkingHorn said:

I'll admit I have not watched a lot of MLS, but what could we expect from a 'Dolo-coached team? I see LAFC is in first at the moment, but not sure if that's due to them having an expensive roster or not. 

With how little time we have before 2026 we need someone who's familiar with the workings of a national team. Cherundolo is not that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

With how little time we have before 2026 we need someone who's familiar with the workings of a national team. Cherundolo is not that.

I don't think many of the names being floated have national team manager experience other than Marsh. If it's a coach with club skins on the wall, especially in Europe, that's enough for me to get excited - Klopp, Tuchel, Pochettino.

But regardless, anyone on the lists being circulated would be a big improvement.

I’ve always appreciated Jesse Marsch’s style of attack and I think it actually could have worked in the premier league but Leeds was never going to give him the talent to execute it reliably. 

Ultimately, I think at this stage we need some big name that the players will automatically trust. I mean, Klopp is perfect. A tactician that can evaluate the player pool and put people in the right positions, a guy that comes with credibility amongst the players and fans, personality to handle much more pressure than the USMNT would present.

Come on you fucks in the league office. Make a move. Do your jobs. 

IMG_6109.gif

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

I don't think many of the names being floated have national team manager experience other than Marsh. If it's a coach with club skins on the wall, especially in Europe, that's enough for me to get excited - Klopp, Tuchel, Pochettino.

But regardless, anyone on the lists being circulated would be a big improvement.

Klopp is #1 for me full stop. Pep, Tuchel, Poch, would be nice.  I don't think any of those are realistic though.  After that there's a clear gulf in quality. 

Managing the shortened window is important.  We could potentially only have 12 matches (friendlies and competitive combined) before 2026 WC.  You're right though, there aren't many guys out there with national team experience.  Of the ones that do, the two names I've heard the most -Hugo Perez and Javier Aguirre- aren't very compelling but I'd take them over Steve Cherundolo.

Perez - former USMNT player, was a scout and manager in our 12U and 15U ranks, most recently was El Salvador manager. Did decently well at first but really fell off towards the end.  Highlights - his El Salvador squad tied the USMNT twice and lost once (1-0), almost qualified for 2022 WC. 

Aguirre - former Mexican coach, took Mexico to knockout rounds in 2002 (dos a cerooooo) and 2010.  Has he been out of the game too long though?

This really feels like a Klopp or bust situation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Klopp is #1 for me full stop. Pep, Tuchel, Poch, would be nice. 

I don't think any of those are realistic though.  After that there's a clear gulf in quality. 

Managing the shortened window is important.  We could potentially only have 12 matches (friendlies and competitive combined) before 2026 WC.  You're right though, there aren't many guys out there with national team experience.  Of the ones that do, the two names I've heard the most -Hugo Perez and Javier Aguirre- aren't very compelling but I'd take them over Steve Cherundolo.

Perez - former USMNT player, was a scout and manager in our 12U and 15U ranks, most recently was El Salvador manager. Did decently well at first but really fell off towards the end.  Highlights - his El Salvador squad tied the USMNT twice and lost once (1-0), almost qualified for 2022 WC. 

Aguirre - former Mexican coach, took Mexico to knockout rounds in 2002 (dos a cerooooo) and 2010.  Has he been out of the game too long though?

This really feels like a Klopp or bust situation.

The toughest call that Klopp is going to have to make is to call  the Alabama staff and tell them “No.”

That’s the thoughest call that Klopp is going to have to make. So we’ll see what happens. 

NARRATOR: Klopp decided to coach at Oregon.

I know Klopp is a soccer romantic but as fucked up internally as our federation is I don’t know why he would come within 100 miles of this job without power to fire everyone (which the money/power hungry fed would never allow). He also could be German national team coach for the 2026 cycle if he wants the job.

He honestly seems to be loving retirement so he could also just stay retired. 

If they can just shut us up until the NFL starts then lay low for 2 years.

The time to fire Berhalter was last time we let him go. Once they rehired him this shit cycle was written in stone

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, cmontexas said:

If they can just shut us up until the NFL starts then lay low for 2 years.

The time to fire Berhalter was last time we let him go. Once they rehired him this shit cycle was written in stone

Right. They had a clean break. And then they REhired him. And now the same people that made that decision will make the next one.  Even if they fire him, they are going to make a comfort hire because they don't care about winning. The Klinnsman cycle made that obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Aguirre would be better than Greg but he is frustrating as a coach because once he gets in his head he has a favorite at a position he is unwilling to switch. Better players can surface but he sticks to his stubborn beliefs. I would prefer someone other than Aguirre.

7 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Aguirre would be better than Greg but he is frustrating as a coach because once he gets in his head he has a favorite at a position he is unwilling to switch. Better players can surface but he sticks to his stubborn beliefs. I would prefer someone other than Aguirre.

I want a good coach. Evidently that's too much to ask because the USSF has no ability to actually hire well on the men's side.

My guess is we hear nothing today or tomorrow.   Then Friday around 6PM they pass along the news to some friendly media member that they have decided to retain Gregg after a 10+ day process to determine the best option to go forward.    Probably pass along some bogus crap along the lines that, we contacted many top-level coaches but none were willing to take on the job this far into the cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

11 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

My guess is we hear nothing today or tomorrow.   Then Friday around 6PM they pass along the news to some friendly media member that they have decided to retain Gregg after a 10+ day process to determine the best option to go forward.    Probably pass along some bogus crap along the lines that, we contacted many top-level coaches but none were willing to take on the job this far into the cycle.

that's plausible, but most of the noise I've been reading is that this is about money (as in the lack thereof) to pay off Berhalter and hire a better coach. If Crocker is "ride or die" with him then that's another headache they have to deal with. 

Also, it appears that US Soccer was in complete denial about the possibility of being grouped and were caught completely off-guard by the Copa failure. Add in Marsch taking Canada to the semifinals and it's a massive shit sandwich.

A lot of people who don't like to admit they were wrong are now having to deal with the consequences of their decision to bring back Gregg and it's a very, very bitter pill to swallow.

So, they will kick the can down the road as long as they can until they have to make the change. 

• Rage+1 2

They have to fire him or the negativity going into the home WC in 2026 will be overwhelming.  There are no games in advance of the 2026 WC to turn around the sentiment.  The USSF will ultimately realize that anyone is better than Gregggg at this point even someone on the cheap.  It may take these idiots some time to come to this realization but they ultimately will.  History is going to be extremely unkind to Greggg.  His legacy will be as one of the worst coaches in American national team history.  Not just soccer but across all sports.  An arrogant buffoon who rejected accountability at every opportunity.  Loathsome cunt.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, alincoln said:

They have to fire him or the negativity going into the home WC in 2026 will be overwhelming.  There are no games in advance of the 2026 WC to turn around the sentiment.  The USSF will ultimately realize that anyone is better than Gregggg at this point even someone on the cheap.  It may take these idiots some time to come to this realization but they ultimately will.  History is going to be extremely unkind to Greggg.  His legacy will be as one of the worst coaches in American national team history.  Not just soccer but across all sports.  An arrogant buffoon who rejected accountability at every opportunity.  Loathsome cunt.

I'd think Crocker has to go, too.

10 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Anyone that wants to focus on playing a system isn't going to be a good national team coach. National teams have a limited player pool because you can't just buy players to fit your system like you can for a club. You have to coach around the players not necessarily make the players play into a system that doesn't suit them. This is the major failing of Gregg - he was system, system, system and it's proven to be the wrong fit for the player pool. And worse he's making them less than they are because many aren't even playing in natural positions.

What we, and honestly every national team for that matter, need is a coach that is adaptive in their scheming that understands playing different schemes based on what the player pool gives you. Play to your strengths, don't make the players have to play to their weaknesses. Plus you want the system to be simple, so they aren't having to learn so many different things in a very short period of time.

Additionally this would give the team the ability to adapt in games to changing situations. Gregg again - AWFUL at this. Need a goal, properly focus the whole teams approach to maximize that, not just put 3 strikers on the field and hope you can score (seriously - WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!!??!?).

And finally - you want some accountability, and the ability to play something else gives you that. Gio is being a whiny bitch in practice? Fine, he's not playing, we bring back MMA and play to the strength of that setup, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

THIS. You have open revolt from the fans. Not a few of the fans, not some of the fans, ALL OF THE DAMN FANS. I can't think of any of the major supporter groups that have "played nice" in this situation at all. And there is no way to change this. And if he is coaching this team and when he causes them to flame out AGAIN in 2026, it will be a complete disaster of soccer in this country. Hell, it could really put a major dent in the MLS brand in the US.

I just don't see how the Federation would spin anything about keeping Gregg that would be a positive. And given that it has to be announced this week , you give Fox's studio a few days to just crucify the federation over this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1