The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Anyone that wants to focus on playing a system isn't going to be a good national team coach. National teams have a limited player pool because you can't just buy players to fit your system like you can for a club. You have to coach around the players not necessarily make the players play into a system that doesn't suit them. This is the major failing of Gregg - he was system, system, system and it's proven to be the wrong fit for the player pool. And worse he's making them less than they are because many aren't even playing in natural positions.

What we, and honestly every national team for that matter, need is a coach that is adaptive in their scheming that understands playing different schemes based on what the player pool gives you. Play to your strengths, don't make the players have to play to their weaknesses. Plus you want the system to be simple, so they aren't having to learn so many different things in a very short period of time.

Additionally this would give the team the ability to adapt in games to changing situations. Gregg again - AWFUL at this. Need a goal, properly focus the whole teams approach to maximize that, not just put 3 strikers on the field and hope you can score (seriously - WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!!??!?).

And finally - you want some accountability, and the ability to play something else gives you that. Gio is being a whiny bitch in practice? Fine, he's not playing, we bring back MMA and play to the strength of that setup, etc.

Spot on.

I think I mentioned this before but I had a long conversation (and many bottles of wine) with Claudio Reyna and his mouthy wife at a Christmas party in 2022. They actually weren’t invited back this year because she was so cloak room mouthy… and they moved out of Austin.

Anyway, he made this same point in relation to his son. Saying essentially that Gregg runs a system and some of the best players in the pool don’t fit his ideal system players. We both agreed it was stupid. That was also the night they told me that he was a woman beater and that some news would come out and take him down. It came out, but of course he cockroached his way through it.  

I have Claudio’s # but never texted him. Not going to start now. 

Also- I was thinking about US teams in the past and how you felt about them from a skill level, system and as a cohesive team. This current teams seems the most talented, but I don’t trust anything about them. 

I remember 2010, driving from Johannesburg to Rustenburg for the US-England game. I told my friends on that drive that I thought we’d beat England. They then listed off all the players England had. But I was like, “we have some guys that just play like guys and the play for each other. England doesn’t”. We didn’t win that game. But we won the group with the goal against Algeria being one of the monumental moments in American soccer. That was a far less talented but super cohesive team. Gregg’s teams just feel gross. 

• Like 4

Just now, The Dog said:

Won't be Aguirre - he's going back to mama.

Say what you want about our limp-dicked org - at least we aren't as fucking stupid and dysfunctional as El Tri.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Say what you want about our limp-dicked org - at least we aren't as fucking stupid and dysfunctional as El Tri.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If Gregg gets retained as an assistant coach…

You're right. I should wait to see how this plays out. 

Kanye West Laughing GIF

3 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Spot on.

I think I mentioned this before but I had a long conversation (and many bottles of wine) with Claudio Reyna and his mouthy wife at a Christmas party in 2022. They actually weren’t invited back this year because she was so cloak room mouthy… and they moved out of Austin.

Anyway, he made this same point in relation to his son. Saying essentially that Gregg runs a system and some of the best players in the pool don’t fit his ideal system players. We both agreed it was stupid. That was also the night they told me that he was a woman beater and that some news would come out and take him down. It came out, but of course he cockroached his way through it.  

I have Claudio’s # but never texted him. Not going to start now. 

Also- I was thinking about US teams in the past and how you felt about them from a skill level, system and as a cohesive team. This current teams seems the most talented, but I don’t trust anything about them. 

I remember 2010, driving from Johannesburg to Rustenburg for the US-England game. I told my friends on that drive that I thought we’d beat England. They then listed off all the players England had. But I was like, “we have some guys that just play like guys and the play for each other. England doesn’t”. We didn’t win that game. But we won the group with the goal against Algeria being one of the monumental moments in American soccer. That was a far less talented but super cohesive team. Gregg’s teams just feel gross. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Amazing they had the will to fire him after hiring him back and all that fucking drama after his contract expired. 

OK - what are the odds US Soccer fucks up the next hire? 100%? 75%?

• Like 1

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Amazing they had the will to fire him after hiring him back and all that fucking drama after his contract expired. 

OK - what are the odds US Soccer fucks up the next hire? 100%? 75%?

I think there are going to be a lot of pissed off people if it’s anyone but Klopp. But I do think Cherundolo and Curtain would be solid choices. 

I think there are going to be a lot of pissed off people if it’s anyone but Klopp. But I do think Cherundolo and Curtain would be solid choices. 

I’m way too optimistic they have someone big on the hook and that made the decision for them.

I’m way too optimistic they have someone big on the hook and that made the decision for them.