The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

David McWilliams

Shit, so we have to suffer through Mackovic again?  Let’s just hope GGG’s successor has our 2026 WC team at 1995 levels and not 1997 levels.  

This feels more like 1997 Mackovic to me.  Talent?  Yes.  Coaching?  No.

That said, there is an “inmates running the asylum feel” to GGG that jives with McWilliams.

• Hook 'Em 2

one of our OG soccer posters (maybe fireman’s?) made a post way back in cherundolo’s playing days that i never forgot because it made me laugh. it was the 2H of a game in some tournament (gold cup?) and we needed to score and cherundolo decided to try and smash one from waaaay out. the post said, “30 yards out and Dolo is feeling it.” lol.

thats what it feels like the ussf is doing with this hire. instead of doing a real search, aka trying to get the best look on goal possible, the ussf is going to reach out to klopp just so they can say they tried, and then do the easy, comfortable thing and hire another usmnt retread, instead of actually doing a real search that might end up with us having the best chance to hire a top tier, qualified coach. whatevs. getting rid of gregg is a huge win regardless. still, i have zero faith in the ussf to actually even try to accomplish anything noteworthy with the usmnt.

• Rage+1 5

Posted (edited)

Ah, shit. This is gonna be one of those things where the coach is just a symptom of deeper problems, isn't it. Can we just like....create a new federation? With blackjack, and hookers? And also no ties and weird alliances to shit tier leagues?

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, WBT said:

Anyone that has coached at a level above mls.  Why is this so hard?

because they are scared shitless that level of personality is not controllable and might expose them or call them out for being the parasitic infestation of incompetence they have perfected in exploiting their "jobs"

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ah, shit. This is gonna be one of those things where the coach is just a symptom of deeper problems, isn't it. Can we just like....create a new federation? With blackjack, and hookers? And also no ties and weird alliances to shit tier leagues?

as klinsmann said after the loss to ghana in '10, the pyramid is upside down

fifa recognizes only 1 federation per country; in every other country in the world, the federation controls everything under it, with it's #1 priority being the national team, i.e., the men's national team

in the us, the entire structure under it controls the fed, with it's absolute last priority being the national team, i.e. the men's national team, which in the us, requires the word "men's" to define what it is

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

because they are scared shitless that level of personality is not controllable and might expose them or call them out for being the parasitic infestation of incompetence they have perfected in exploiting their "jobs"

So the Federation is soccer's Atlanta Falcons

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

We're probably all more or less fans of the Texas Longhorns here. We're used to a stable, competent CEO that oversees a respected, credentialed organization that attracts top talent. It has a history of trophies. It sits on a mountain of moss - if it comes to that.

The USSF has none of that.

You're looking for a coach to be hired by a neophyte director. That coach will be asked to oversee a program that thinks it has the best average player talent pool (judged by positions and playing time at real, actual soccer clubs throughout the world) in its existence. All that coach has to do is combine largely European based players into a group that can win games in a Central American jungle where the pitch slopes off on the corners into the city park (do they throw batteries at players when Belgium plays France? I dunno). He doesn't have to necessarily win the World Cup. We'll be satisfied with playing in the Final.

Funds are limited, so the ideal candidate will be hungry and coach for passion and exposure.

Edited by GoldAppleCorps
Speling is importunt

Posted (edited)

If we go with an MLS guy, the world cup will be a bomb.  On the bright side, I can focus my spending that year on the best games rather than chasing the US games.  

Klopp turned us down so now:

Low, Vieira, Terzic, Tuchel, Pochettino, Potter and many more should be called before we talk to Nancy/Cherondulo/whoever from the MLS.  

In regards to pay, the US can pay $2 mil.  Nike plus whoever can sign a sponsorship agreements for $18 mil and that solves the problem. 

Edited by Moderator

i urge everyone that did not do so to watch the klinsmann interview above noting that it is 4 years old

bruce is the only manager to win a knockout game at a world cup in the modern era, but jurgen is the only us manager to win not just 2 but 3 full international tournament games in a row in us soccer history; in 1930 we won our 2 group games and were then destroyed by argentina in the semi; now grated the first of the 3 wins in a row in 16 was over a concacaf side, but it was still in a copa america group so it counts

juergen was also 30 seconds away from victory over portugal in '14 which would have been 2 world cup wins in a row, matching 1930; all michael bradley had to do was sky the ball in to the stands and we win, no ronaldo magic cross from midfield, no tying goal

this is all before pulisic broke through with chelsea and the exodus which followed

and the fed was plotting to remove juergen because he was making too much money and might continue to do so

then the late loss to mexico in columbus (the emotional equivalent of the panama loss in this copa) set us up the bomb for the away game to costa rica (equivalent to the uruguay game in this copa) and voila there's the excuse to fire the most successful coach in modern us nats history

and yet bruce and bradley and snailface were allowed A DOZEN FAILURES EACH before termination

+++

if we are going domestic it has to be nancy simply because he is black - yes i said it

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

45 minutes ago, Moderator said:

If we go with an MLS guy, the world cup will be a bomb. 

29 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Anyone but an MLS guy.

10 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

If we are stuck with an MLS guy,

There are reasons to not like Cherundolo if he's the hire he's anything but an "MLS guy." He spent 20+ years playing and coaching in Germany and only started coaching domestically in 2021. 

Arena, Bradley, and Berhalter (other than a brief stint in Sweden) were very much "MLS guys" who had spent nearly their entire careers coaching in it. 

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if we are going domestic it has to be nancy simply because he is european and that makes him a better option clearly.

FIFY. Nancy is as inexperienced as Cherundolo but since he's not an American he HAS to know more about soccer. ;)

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Its amusing to me that money is ever even mentioned when it comes to a coaching hire. The US is the richest nation on earth by far, and you're telling me that we cant find the money to fund a top  flight coach for the national team? Dog shit college football programs like A&M will eat a $75M bill to fire a coach. Monty Williams got $78M to coach one year for the fucking Pistons. Livvy Dunne's perfect ass is making $3.5M per year, and she'd probably 10X that figure if she showed her asshole.

We cant find a few billionaires to chip in for this hire? Whoever runs the fundraising program  for this festering shit-pile of a federation might be the most inept person in the group. If no top flight coach is interested because of politics, etc....I wouldn't be happy, but I would understand. But letting money be the stumbling block to hiring that coach if he is interested is a head scratcher. Say we have to pay the mens AND womens coach $20M-$30M per year total. Thats what a washed NBA veteran like James Harden makes. We cant swing that?

Fuck, let Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney buy the damn federation.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The Dog said:

There are reasons to not like Cherundolo if he's the hire he's anything but an "MLS guy." He spent 20+ years playing and coaching in Germany and only started coaching domestically in 2021. 

He coached youth academies in Germany.  I want someone who has coached and had success against the best players/coaches in the world.  He doesn't have that.  

Edited by Moderator
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Moderator said:

He coached youth academies in Germany.  I want someone who has coached and had success against the best players/coaches in the world.  He doesn't have that.  

and that is a legitimate reason to not like him as the hire. my point was that people are getting hung up on him being a current MLS coach as if that's automatically disqualifying. 

as for what you want - it is highly unlikely that we will pull someone with that kind of experience. USMNT simply isn't that desirable of a job.

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

and that is a legitimate reason to not like him as the hire. my point was that people are getting hung up on him being a current MLS coach as if that's automatically disqualifying. 

as for what you want - it is highly unlikely that we will pull someone with that kind of experience. USMNT simply isn't that desirable of a job.

We could get Reynard for a reasonable cost and he checks almost all of these boxes.

I would also note that you undersell what an NT coaching job is and how they are kind of cushy for these guys. Additionally the US job has the benefits of: * Being in the US, * Being low profile in terms of real demand, * kind of exciting with a lot of up and coming young players. I think the job offers a lot.

What is the big turn off:

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

When we simply fuck up and bring in Steve Cherundolo, the firing of Berhalter is going to be all for naught and the 2026 World Cup will be a disaster.

yep, early in the week excite boner is shifting to fear boner...furk

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I would also note that you undersell what an NT coaching job is and how they are kind of cushy for these guys. Additionally the US job has the benefits of: * Being in the US, * Being low profile in terms of real demand, * kind of exciting with a lot of up and coming young players. I think the job offers a lot.

What is the big turn off:

Kind of like the UT Men's Basketball coach's job....

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Ugh 

fuck that ice cube GIF

That would be the most MNT thing possible. Which is why we'd all better get ready for Cherundolo to lead the MNT into a World Cup at home.

Fucking hell.

Edited by Dutch
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

I meant an MLS coach since that is what the discussion is about.  I don’t give a shit where the person played.  Claudio Reyna played 15 years in the Bundesliga, EPL and SPL.  I don’t want him anywhere near our squad unless it’s picking Gio up from practice.

Cherundolo’s managerial “experience” in Germany is U15/U17 for a League 2 club.  Really don't know if that counts in the plus side of the margin.

I hope he is amazing, if he ends up getting it.  But don’t try to convince me to be excited just because it isn’t Gregg Part III.

I’m also not one who thinks we had any chance at any of the top club coaches.  That is Aggy level of delusion.  I do think we may be able to snag a good currently unemployed or change of pace retread - like Wagner, Tata or the fat Spanish waiter.

I'm not a soccer guy, so I just read and try to learn.

Why the obsession with the foreign-born, specifically Euro, coach? I understand most of the best soccer is played in Europe, but why can't an American or MLS coach succeed? Is it really that different? Isn't much of the issue the talent and making it play hard/together? I don't see why an American guy can't do that.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jkates said:

Why the obsession with the foreign-born, specifically Euro, coach? I understand most of the best soccer is played in Europe, but why can't an American or MLS coach succeed? Is it really that different? Isn't much of the issue the talent and making it play hard/together? I don't see why an American guy can't do that.

Would you rather hire a coach to lead Team USA baseball who had coached in MLB or the Korean leagues, or Single A?

For Football.   If UT needed a new coach, would you hire someone who had coached in the SEC or someone whose only coaching gig had been in the SunBelt?

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Would you rather hire a coach to lead Team USA baseball who had coached in MLB or the Korean leagues, or Single A?

For Football.   If UT needed a new coach, would you hire someone who had coached in the SEC or someone whose only coaching gig had been in the SunBelt?

I understand that aspect of it. I'm asking - possibly poorly - for specifics. What reasons exist that say Dolo can't coach at a better level than Berhalter or Arena? He played over there for a long time. He understands tactics and strategies. So what is he missing? 

I actually wouldn't care who Team USA baseball hired. Ha. But that's me.

2 minutes ago, jkates said:

I understand that aspect of it. I'm asking - possibly poorly - for specifics. What reasons exist that say Dolo can't coach at a better level than Berhalter or Arena? He played over there for a long time. He understands tactics and strategies. So what is he missing? 

Look at it in another way. We're Aggie who is looking to only hire someone who "Gets A&M" instead of finding the best coach.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Look at it in another way. We're Aggie who is looking to only hire someone who "Gets A&M" instead of finding the best coach.

The USMNT “needs to understand the‘American player’.”

🤬🤬🤬

No, the manager needs to know how to identify talent and then creat a setup that will produce the best results using those players.

That’s it. 

If a player can’t cope with not being coddled, then send them packing. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, jkates said:

I'm not a soccer guy, so I just read and try to learn.

Understand that we're discussing a coach for a National Team here. That's different from a club team.

For a club team, you have contracts and farm systems (academies) that mean you can go after players that fit "your system". You can have a preferred type of soccer tactic and get players that complement that system. Those players are together for most of the year, working out and practicing to do what you and your assistants tell them. As a manager, you're picking the starting 11 players each game, and making tactical substitutions based on how the game is going.

For a national team, you only see your players at certain times throughout the year, and over the course of a four year World Cup cycle as it goes. The players that are available to you are ones that are in the national player registry - legally able to play for your country. During one of the windows of international play, you call in a certain segment of those players to participate in a camp. At the end of that camp, you pick your roster (usually limited to like 25 players) and go set up for a tournament, qualifier, or what-have-you.

The kicker is how you select your players. Maybe this guy's usually a really good player, but he hasn't had any action with his club team. He's a substitute or little used. You're asking him to jump right in and attack the game with no pre-season or other type of form. Maybe another guy looks promising, but he's been playing for a weak team in a weak league in eastern Greece or something. Another guy is recovering from injury. Still others have no experience on the national stage, but could be useful later? Do you develop them?

Of course, the ultimate prize is playing in the World Cup tournament every four years. To get there, you have to qualify by winning games against other teams in your region. The USA is in the CONCACAF region over here with Canada, Mexico, and the Central American nations. Mexico used to make some noise in the tournament, but really, no teams from CONCACAF really strike fear in the rest of the world.

Getting a manager that can use the USA's European developed (we hope) players to quickly jell, form a tactically sound (there's zero time to teach or develop skills on the nation team), cohesive squad that can adapt to the defensively aggressive styles (read: they foul hard and often) played in our region will require a world view of soccer acumen.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, jkates said:

USA baseball actually hired Mark Derosa and he did fine despite his only experience being as a player and MLB studio pundit

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I think what they need in a coach is:

1) Someone who is going to look at 35 to 40 players, at least!

2) Someone who is going to take set pieces AWAY from Pulisic

3) Someone who will cut fat players who are out of shape.

4) Someone who will sub off name players who aren’t playing well.

5) Someone who will not start players who cannot physically play a full game.

6) Someone who abolishes the leadership council.

7) Someone who develops contingency plans and is ready to use them when their need arises.

8:  Someone who is willing to replace a starter who is not producing.

9) Someone who understands the physical demands of tournaments and can manage the roster so that the team is not running on empty minutes into the first knockout stage match.

10) Someone who demands the power to make final decisions on rosters and styles of play .

There could be more.

I would prefer a European or Argentine manager, but it is not inconceivable that an American manager could do the job, it is just not likely that an American manager will have the clout & balls to do all of these things.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

FIFY. Nancy is as inexperienced as Cherundolo but since he's not an American he HAS to know more about soccer. ;)

Nancy was born in Le Havre to a Guadeloupean father and Senegalese-Cape Verdean mother. His father was in the French navy, and Nancy therefore spent his early childhood frequently moving, with time in Guadeloupe, Martinique, Djibouti and Réunion. At the age of 11, his family moved to Toulon and there he started playing organized soccer before moving to the academy of Toulon at the age of 14

8 hours ago, Blotto said:

We cant find a few billionaires to chip in for this hire? Whoever runs the fundraising program for this festering shit-pile of a federation might be the most inept person in the group. If no top flight coach is interested because of politics, etc....I wouldn't be happy, but I would understand. But letting money be the stumbling block to hiring that coach if he is interested is a head scratcher. Say we have to pay the mens AND womens coach $20M-$30M per year total. Thats what a washed NBA veteran like James Harden makes. We cant swing that?

Fuck, let Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney buy the damn federation.

None of what you proposed is possible, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

we've already done it once

it's an incredibly desirable job

the special one even once indicated he would be interested