The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

None of what you proposed is possible, unfortunately.

I know Reynolds cant buy the federation, but I am curious if there is something that prohibits the federation from soliciting donations from wealthy Americans. Do you mean individuals cant donate money? 

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, jkates said:

I'm not a soccer guy, so I just read and try to learn.

Why the obsession with the foreign-born, specifically Euro, coach? I understand most of the best soccer is played in Europe, but why can't an American or MLS coach succeed? Is it really that different? Isn't much of the issue the talent and making it play hard/together? I don't see why an American guy can't do that.

welcome to the thunderdome

we have had success with 2 MLS coaches, but that was when MLS still provided the majority of the player pool

the next coach has to be someone who has proven "sitting" success with "helmet nations" in Full International tournaments OR has proven "sitting" success with top-table teams in the top european leagues

our talent is now that level

the talent can only be shaped and wielded by someone with coaching experience at that talent level

the mls soccertainment exhibition ain't that

it's europe only

south america national team success is just as good - but not south america club success

also - no mexico anyone at all

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I know Reynolds cant buy the federation, but I am curious if there is something that prohibits the federation from soliciting donations from wealthy Americans. Do you mean individuals cant donate money? 

of course they can

but would you hand them $100m with no strings attached?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Derka said:

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

Honestly, I'm ok with him not coming to the job, now or ever.

I think the more damning thing is his statement about how the Federation needs a major change, because he's making note of all the issues we know all too well, but without saying  it explicitly.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

Honestly, I'm ok with him not coming to the job, now or ever.

I think the more damning thing is his statement about how the Federation needs a major change, because he's making note of all the issues we know all too well, but without saying  it explicitly.

One last things - this isn't sour grapes or being pissed off at him or anything - I just don't think he offers the USMNT what they really need. He's an OK coach, but needs to prove a bit more to show he's got something to offer the USMNT.

16 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Saw on Twitter Charlie Davis said he was offered the job, told an offer was coming then they ghosted him and rehired GGG - which is why he is so fired up and pissed.

1 hour ago, Chico_SA said:

Not sure that is the point, nor the concern...

I get the point, but I'm not concerned if an underwhelming coach, that may not even be a candidate, has that opinion.  I'll wait to see if we can't land actual qualified candidates due to similar sentiments.

I'm ready to ride for Lando. He'll give 100 percent of himself and that will rub off on the players. If our current roster played with the heart and balls the Bradley teams used to, that's about as good as the USA can ask for.

Give me that over a bigtime Euro guy cashing in on a retirement gig and bigtiming the players

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

I'm ready to ride for Lando. He'll give 100 percent of himself and that will rub off on the players. If our current roster played with the heart and balls the Bradley teams used to, that's about as good as the USA can ask for.

Give me that over a bigtime Euro guy cashing in on a retirement gig and bigtiming the players

I’m not saying I agree with the take. But Landon had the Kobe gene of competitiveness, but not quite the talent.  I love those types of people and I love Lando. Not sure it’s the right guy though. 

Adding the context of the search timeline mentioned, very damning for US Soccer.

On 7/13/2024 at 11:59 AM, Captain Ron said:

Hudson also slipped this in here, what everyone knew but few (except fans) said - the coaching search was a sham.

One last thing - WHY THE FUCK did they wait so long to even search for a coach?!!?!? I mean we know it was because they were bringing Gregg back. But the dragging of feet should have been the tip off.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/13/2024 at 10:09 AM, Derka said:

Good for him. I don’t know if he would be a great U.S. coach but, the shit show must be brought to task for how shitty is the shit in the U.S. Federation. 

All people running the shit show must be forced to answer for their failures.

Fuck ‘em.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some things:

1) I was listening to an ESPN podcast from Gab Marcotti & Julien Laurens and they mentioned that Garth Southgate has a leadership council!

🤬🤬🤬

Fuck Berhalter’s tongue up Southgate’s ass!

2) Charlie Davies, Tony Meola, & Brian McBride were talking on their podcast, “Call It What You Want” (may be the YouTube one above), about new manager requirements and Charlie and at least one of the other guys liked Mauricio Pochettino.

The fact that he has worked with players at different levels of clubs, has an engaging personality with the press, and prefers to employ an attacking football style were things that they felt were in his favor. 

Also mentioned was that he had started to turn Chelsea around and they were playing well, and then they let him go. 

Other things that passed through my mind:

1) He’s fluent in English.

2) HE’S ARGENTINE!

Oh to have an Argentine manager!!

Vamos Yanquilandia, Carajo!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

rafa

poch

that's a candidate pool

let's get 3 or 4 more names of that pedigree

can we please have panel interviews with all of the big nats names from the last 30 years?

people with negative nats karma should not participate, e.g. wondowlowski, agoos, jones, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

can we please have panel interviews with all of the big nats names from the last 30 years?

people with negative nats karma should not participate, e.g. wondowlowski, agoos, jones, etc.

Jones”?

-Cobi?

-Jermaine?

-other?

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2024 at 7:01 PM, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.3357712e9c207f07e6f52f2e976990d2.png

On 7/14/2024 at 7:22 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Is Jimmy Sexton his agent? He’s looking to get Luis a big raise from Spain.

All of this talk about salary, we're really only bidding against ourselves. These jobs don't command the money being talked about.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Bro haven't you heard?  USMNT is hiring Southgate and Berhalter is taking over Austin FC when we #WolffOAT, enshittification complete. 

To be fair if you swapped Berhalter and Wolff at Austin FC, there would not be much of a change. Austin would still aimlessly pass the ball around with no direction at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

To be fair if you swapped Berhalter and Wolff at Austin FC, there would not be much of a change. Austin would still aimlessly pass the ball around with no direction at all.

Very true, but the sound of fans' heads exploding would be deafening.