The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

31 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

To be fair if you swapped Berhalter and Wolff at Austin FC, there would not be much of a change. Austin would still aimlessly pass the ball around with no direction at all.

Sounds like a lot of MLS teams tbh

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were MoPo, I would choose Inglaterra in a heartbeat. 

Plus, the idea of an Argentine coach leading England after La Guerra de las Malvinas (1982) and The Hand of God (1986) is pretty fucking Perestroika.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, randomhorn said:

it's all about the Benjamin's, baby

Make It Rain Money GIF

Pochettino would take less money to be the manager of England. 

He could actually win the Cup with England. They will be a Top 5 team along with Spain, France, Germany, and Argentina.

The USA’s ceiling is the Quarterfinals with a good coach. We don’t have enough players with skill AND dog in them. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 2:55 PM, jkates said:

I'm not a soccer guy, so I just read and try to learn.

Why the obsession with the foreign-born, specifically Euro, coach? I understand most of the best soccer is played in Europe, but why can't an American or MLS coach succeed? Is it really that different? Isn't much of the issue the talent and making it play hard/together? I don't see why an American guy can't do that.

This interview really outlines why an American or MLS coach is not the right answer (TL;DW: they lack experience for this role right now).

But don't fall for TL;DW - EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH THIS INTERVIEW

But Twellman really makes a great point on why this job is SUPER desirable: It's purely team prep and your in the World Cup and you have 1 task - be ready for the World Cup.

Hell, he even has a great sell for getting back to Klopp.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Pochettino would take less money to be the manager of England. 

He could actually win the Cup with England. They will be a Top 5 team along with Spain, France, Germany, and Argentina.

The USA’s ceiling is the Quarterfinals with a good coach. We don’t have enough players with skill AND dog in them. 

Horse shit. I think that the Semis are our ceiling. Just look at Morroco in 2022. I won't deny that we don't have players with that dog in them, but I think with the right coach we could uncover a few of them in the next cycle. 

If it comes down to money for Poch decideing between the US and England, he better get paid more to take England because I don't think he would be allowed to ever go home if he took that job.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Twellman is a fucking moron but what's new. 

What did he say that was wrong or incorrect? Seriously, listen to the whole interview, 2 above Derka’s post. Please tell me what’s moronic about it. Because to me, he put out a vision that really give a short term and long term view of how to handle the USMNT. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

What did he say that was wrong or incorrect? Seriously, listen to the whole interview, 2 above Derka’s post. Please tell me what’s moronic about it. Because to me, he put out a vision that really give a short term and long term view of how to handle the USMNT. 

I think Veiria (sp.) would be a disaster hire. Did he fundamentally disagree with that take in the rest of the interview?

I didn't listen to the interview - I can't stand that twat. Fuckin sue me.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think Veiria (sp.) would be a disaster hire. Did he fundamentally disagree with that take in the rest of the interview?

I didn't listen to the interview - I can't stand that twat. Fuckin sue me.

On Vieira - that's a perfectly fine take. He might not be the right guy for the job. I have no issue with debating if someone is or isn't the right guy, so long as they have some track record that means they should be in the discussion (because the names I hear USSF throwing around aren't even close).

I will note that the Vieira part is only a small part of the whole interview and tacked on right at the end. You don't need to listen, but I will tell you  it is one of the few well reasons discussions on the state of US Soccer that has been had by the Mainstream media. 

Twellman and Hercules are right now the only guys doing that right now. Lalas - yeah, whatever. Meola and Davies are kind of ill informed.

I will say this - if you have interest in and care about this team, you should listen. The guy talks about the federation demonstrating accountability, the approach this hire should be. It's some pretty smart talk. He does get silly at the end, but whatever. 

29 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Man...I would honestly prefer Dolo over Viera. Viera hasn't lasted more than a couple of years at any stop. That's kind of a red flag for me. 

1) I would prefer someone else. 

2) We only need someone for a couple of years.

3) He has been to the top as a player, if not as a coach.

4) Perhaps not working with the players on a daily basis would be better than working with players on a daily basis. 🙏

5) He would be the first Senegalese manager to manage the USMNT.

6) Being born in Dakar, most Argentines will think that he has a cologne endorsement deal with…

image.thumb.jpeg.14e2954583d90e970182c0521a6355c3.jpeg

…but I seriously doubt that he would considering that that cologne’s heyday was “before his time”.

7) I have no idea what kind of style his teams play or whether he adapted to his personnel, but he can’t be worse than Gregg. So if he is the same level, but players need to bust their butt to impress the new manager, then that along is a plus.

8- Maybe Zizou could visit and be an honorary assistant coach on occasion to help his old buddy. 🙏

9) It will be interesting to see how many players get called into these fall camps AND which new & old/new faces get called in.

• Like 2

I don't buy the Henry rumor at all. Sounds like Henry just trying to get his name out there. They are going to need to make this hire in the next couple of weeks, right? They need to hire someone before the Euro leagues start up again or they could potentially lose good candidates to clubs. 

Additionally, the next friendly is not that far off. The new guy is going to have to come in and completely evaluate the player pool. Tick tock. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't buy the Henry rumor at all. Sounds like Henry just trying to get his name out there. They are going to need to make this hire in the next couple of weeks, right? They need to hire someone before the Euro leagues start up again or they could potentially lose good candidates to clubs. 

Additionally, the next friendly is not that far off. The new guy is going to have to come in and completely evaluate the player pool. Tick tock. 

They don’t need to make this hire this calendar year, but they will act like it is a pressing issue so that they can hire a shitty manager

• Hook 'Em 1

This isn't the right thread for this, but why is it so common for soccer managers to have been great players (e.g., Henry, Vieira, Zidane, etc)? That seems pretty rare in the major American sports. Usually the successful managers in baseball, football, and basketball were more fringe-type players.

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

This isn't the right thread for this, but why is it so common for soccer managers to have been great players (e.g., Henry, Vieira, Zidane, etc)? That seems pretty rare in the major American sports. Usually the successful managers in baseball, football, and basketball were more fringe-type players.

Seems that being a superstar in soccer requires one to both be an absolutely God-gifted athlete as well as being tactically brilliant.  You can't teach God-gifted talent, but you can teach tactics.  

It's really damn hard for Ted Williams or Barry Bonds to teach players why they can recognize a pitch 15x faster than an all-star caliber player.  

It's really damn hard for Michael Jordan to teach someone how to absolutely push themselves to the physical and mental limit every practice.  

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Most soccer managers were middling players just like American sports. Someone like Zidane is an outlier - and Henry and Vieira aren't really elite managers.

Among Pep, Mourinho, Klopp, Ancelotti, Tuchel, Arteta, Fergie etc. etc. etc. none of them were star players. 

Mainly thinking about basketball, but Larry Bird was a good if not a great coach. Patrick Ewing was okay. McHale was okay. Juwan Howard is okay. 

Deion appears to be a good football coach. Mike Ditka was both a great player and coach. 

It happens.

36 minutes ago, tokamak said:

@Trey3216 pretty much nailed it - to be a top flight soccer player you need to be both physically and mentally/tactically good. So these guys all know and understand the tactics being used. I would also note that when you look at a lot of the top managers that came from being top players - you had a lot of midfielders and defenders - thus they saw the game develop in front of them. 

I would say you have a lot of variety of player quality too. Mourinho was pretty meh as a player, outstanding manager. Poch was solid. Pep was a very good player..Beckenbauer, Cruyff and Ancelotti were great players.

I would also say look at each sport too:

Baseball - a lot of catchers - managers on the field if you will.

Basketball - bench, role players, point guards - guys that watch the game a lot and the floor managers.

Football - I think the position specialization makes coaching something you have to focus on early. Beyond Ditka, I can't think of a recent player that turned into a great head coach.

So much “meh” in the rumored target list. 

If you’re a starter on the US team and you see Viera as your manager, you’re probably thinking “I’m already a better player than you were, and my dad is probably a better soccer coach”. Neither of those thoughts would actually be true, but not sure he does enough to get young kid’s respect and attention from the beginning. 

I'm wasting time on my lunch break so I just looked up the top 20 winningest MLB managers of all time. Out of those 20, regarding their playing careers, there are:

• 1 legit star (Joe Torre)
  • 5 solid regulars (John McGraw, Dusty Baker, Casey Stengel, Lou Piniella, Mike Scioscia)
  • 11 bums (Connie Mack, Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, Sparky Anderson, Bucky Harris, Bruce Bochy, Walter Alston [1 career PA], Leo Durocher, Terry Francona, Gene Mauch, Bill McKechnie,
  • 3 that never played in the majors (Joe McCarthy, Jim Leyland, Buck Showalter)

Diego Maradona was a Gregg Berhalter level head coach and worse than Gregg as a roster manager. 

He was a Top 5 all-time player, with many in their late 50s to early 70s thinking that he was the best ever. 

In 2010, Argentina had one of the top scorers, if not the top scorer in the EPL, Serie A, and La Liga, they had the captain of the Champions League winning team (Inter Milan) along with its starts DM, and its leading scorer- who had both goals in the CL Final.

1) They barely qualified for the World Cup on a goal that would have been overturned by VAR.

2) They got knocked out 4-0 by Germany in the quarters.

3) The Inter captain along with its starting DM weren’t picked for the squad, Inter’s starting striker barely played, Carlos Tevez was allowed to play like a bitch and not pass to Messi due to jealousy… beyond frustrating.

You slap 2020-2024 Scaloni, a player who made the 2006 WC squad, but I don’t think he played, as the manager and they likely win the World Cup.

Good Managers are problem solvers and/or ego managers. 

Henry & Vieira have shown to suck at this, but get repeated opportunities due to their records as players.

Gregg appears to understand that you should learn from people who have been successful, but he can’t understand how to apply the information he has access to.

Zidane was a deep lying playmaker who read the game as a player and would adapt when needed. He was also a generational talent with size, a violent streak, and a chip on his shoulder. 

My guess is that he could manage the Real Madrid locker room egos because he was always good at reading the entire situation and that he could physically destroy anyone who challenged him. 

Ancelotti was a good player, I think (never have seen anything about his play), but has been excellent and mediocre as a manager. 

Great players rarely make great managers, but they are given many more opportunities than all other managers combined. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Jasper Hjulmand just resigned his post for Denmark and IMMEDIATELY becomes my first choice manager. Don’t know how much yall watch of the DK team but they utilize attacking methods that we could definitely capitalize on given the makeup of our current squad, with the Danish team and the Nats being about equal talent wise albeit we’re much younger than them. He got a lot of mileage out of the Danes and would use Gio/Pulisic well as the Danish attack thrived through Eriksen in the middle. I hope the USSF is aware but he seems to niche for them to notice 

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

*Kasper not Jasper 

I should have mentioned that Denmark is my 2nd favorite team and I watch almost all of their matches that are televised in the states, so I’m pretty familiar w their style of play. 

They absolutely dominated England over 80 minutes, probably would have gone further in the Euros had they not run into the home team in the knockouts and were unlucky to have had a goal overturned by a toe. They’re aging so they looked a bit slower this time around than last Euros but this is definitely a manager doing more w less

Edited by Bottlecap

8 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I should have mentioned that Denmark is my 2nd favorite team and I watch almost all of their matches that are televised in the states, so I’m pretty familiar w their style of play…

You 💯% should have mentioned this!

• Haha 1

Per source: “I can’t share specifics, but can tell you that they are meeting with exactly the people you would want them to, and by “you” I mean you specifically, but also fans generally. The reports about $ not being a problem are true (finally an accurate report). If we don’t land a massive manager it won’t be bc of lack of ambition or effort or money, I can tell you that. Overall meetings have gone well, there is confidence, but no deals done.“

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

Per source: “I can’t share specifics, but can tell you that they are meeting with exactly the people you would want them to, and by “you” I mean you specifically, but also fans generally. The reports about $ not being a problem are true (finally an accurate report). If we don’t land a massive manager it won’t be bc of lack of ambition or effort or money, I can tell you that. Overall meetings have gone well, there is confidence, but no deals done.“

So assuming Klopp is gone, who are the other ones we want them to meet with? So generic. 

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

Sure Jan GIF

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/19/2024 at 6:06 PM, Bottlecap said:

*Kasper not Jasper 

I should have mentioned that Denmark is my 2nd favorite team and I watch almost all of their matches that are televised in the states, so I’m pretty familiar w their style of play. 

They absolutely dominated England over 80 minutes, probably would have gone further in the Euros had they not run into the home team in the knockouts and were unlucky to have had a goal overturned by a toe. They’re aging so they looked a bit slower this time around than last Euros but this is definitely a manager doing more w less

denmark were impressive and have punched above weight for 10 years

keep selling, you have my interest

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

What Twellman pitched a few weeks ago could be the right approach. See if he wants a few months - start Jan 1? Done! It's also why Mourinho is still considered a target, because he has an out clause Jan 1, 2025.

I mean our goal for this coach is just the WC 2026. Team development around that doesn't need to be the target. So what would the harm in an interim coach covering the rest of this year?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What Twellman pitched a few weeks ago could be the right approach. See if he wants a few months - start Jan 1? Done! It's also why Mourinho is still considered a target, because he has an out clause Jan 1, 2025.
I mean our goal for this coach is just the WC 2026. Team development around that doesn't need to be the target. So what would the harm in an interim coach covering the rest of this year?

I’ll go with this cause I feel like it’s Henry once the Olympics are over. But yeah there is no real rush between now and Jan 1st.