BLOW THAT FUCKING HORN - COMMODORES TAKE DOWN #1 ALABAMA AT HOME ×

The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sources from Reddit:

Bild (kind of dubious) said that he told Hoffenheim that he plans to accept the job.

Kicker said he was only offered the job.

This is who I wanted us to hire instead of Gregg 2.0.

On 8/5/2024 at 6:37 PM, WBT said:

We're going to hire gergg again aren't we?

3 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

This was the plann

Emma Hayes is going to coach both teams after they double her salary, because she is (at least) twice the manager that Gregg is.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Best rumor so far. Only issue is a lack of trophy's!

So you are worried that because Pochettino hasn’t won a trophy, the USMNT likely won’t win the World Cup?

Ummmm…

I don’t know how to break this to you, but…

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Best rumor so far. Only issue is a lack of trophy's!

"Lack of trophies" I think isn't the argument some people think it is without context. 

If you want to win a recent league trophy in the big 5 leagues, you basically have to be the manager of either Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich (unless you are Xabi Alonso), PSG, or whatever Italian clubs (I don't know enough about Serie A to know who's good now other than Juventus is not as dominant as they were last decade). That's it. He won a league trophy at PSG. No one is winning any trophies at Espanyol or Southampton. He got Spurs damn close to league and UCL. And he only had one year at Chelsea. I think looking at the context of the teams he was with, trophies won is an almost impossible measure of success.

• Hook 'Em 2

I watched that 2nd video.  The trophies thing doesn't bother me.  We're looking for someone to win a game in the knockout round and make the quarterfinals.  That's a massive step up from where we've been.

I'm curious as to why his stints at PSG and Chelsea were so short.  It's not like he was a failure at either club.

Also, they mentioned "development of young players" as a plus.  How much development does the National team really do?  You get a very limited amount of time with the team each year.  Development happens at the club level.  Isn't the MNT about either finding players that play your style of play, or adapting your style of play to match the strength of your best players?  My hope would be for the latter.  The history of success in that point is what I would be prioritizing.

Chelsea has been a shitstorm since the oligarch was told to take a hike. He  doesn’t need to defend that. 

PSG money hires coaches to win it all as ligue un is a formality. He didn’t do that lime all the other psg coaches  

Being a development coach doesn’t hurt him as a national team coach. He’s not going to complicate the system because he thinks it’s all about him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I am still waiting for it to be officially announced before I believe it, pero el pibe es in maestro!

16 minutes ago, Derka said:

now that’s a real hire. thank god gregg didn’t fuck around and make it out of the group stage.

Gracias San Timo!

Gracias por tu tarjeta roja!

🙏❤️🙏

13 minutes ago, The Dog said:

@Napoleon GET IN HERE 

😎

It’s about time we stopped fucking around with MLS Americans (if this is true) and went out and got a real fucking manager from one of the best manager producing countries in the world!!

Vamos Argentina Carajo!!

🇦🇷

PS- Argentines (and Colombians, Peruvians, Chilenos, los Uruguayos…) will tell you that they are “Americans” too, so if that’s what helps US Soccer sleep at night, then bueno!

PPS- This had better not be a false alarm.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

PS- Argentines (and Colombians, Peruvians, Chilenos, los Uruguayos…) will tell you that they are “Americans” too, so if that’s what helps US Soccer sleep at night, then bueno!

Something else they have in common? They don't like Argentines!

🤣

I like this hire though, and it will piss all those nations off.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Is the only one that you could argue was better than Bruce?

…or Pochettino?

Jurgen is the only other one that's had any success at a high level for club/national teams. 

ESPN reporting it now

Spoiler

Source: Pochettino agrees to become United States coach

Mark Ogden, Senior Writer, ESPN FC

Aug 15, 2024, 02:55 AM ET

Mauricio Pochettino has agreed to become the new United States coach with the responsibility of leading the team into the 2026 World Cup, a source told ESPN on Thursday.

Pochettino, 52, has been out of work since leaving Chelsea by mutual consent earlier this summer after just one season in charge at Stamford Bridge.

A source told ESPN that the former Tottenham and Paris Saint-Germain coach agreed to succeed Gregg Berhalter as USMNT head coach following lengthy discussions with Matt Crocker, the USSF technical director.

Crocker, who previously worked with Premier League team Southampton and the English Football Association, had been charged with recruiting a world-class coach to ensure the USMNT goes into the 2026 World Cup -- the U.S. are joint hosts with Canada and Mexico -- as a competitive nation, capable of running into the latter stages of the competition.

Efforts to recruit Jürgen Klopp following his summer exit from Liverpool failed to get off the ground, but Pochettino agreed to take on the role in a major coup for the USSF.

Pochettino is expected to be installed in time to take charge of the USMNT game against Canada in Kansas City, Kansas, on Sept. 7.

Sources told ESPN that Pochettino had been under consideration as a possible candidate to replace Gareth Southgate as England manager.

"Pochettino is expected to be installed in time to take charge of the USMNT game against Canada in Kansas City, Kansas, on Sept. 7."

David Ornstein from the Athletic also reporting

Spoiler

Mauricio Pochettino has agreed to become the next head coach of the U.S. men’s national soccer team, as per sources with knowledge of the situation.

The news of the expected hire of the former Tottenham and Chelsea head coach is significant for a U.S. fanbase looking for a big-name manager after former USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter was fired following a group-stage exit in the Copa America this summer.

The Athletic reported last week that Pochettino was a top target for the opening, though sources briefed on the search said the federation was still considering multiple candidates at the time. However, Pochettino was seen by some as the favorite in the pool, with U.S. Soccer engaged in conversations with his camp.

Pochettino has never managed a national team, but the Argentine has had plenty of success at club level. He guided Southampton to an eighth-place finish in the Premier League in 2013, achieved record league finishes with Spurs, including a Champions League final appearance in 2019 and secured a Ligue 1 title with Paris Saint-Germain. Most recently, Pochettino led Chelsea to a sixth-place finish and European qualification before departing at the end of the 2023-24 season.

U.S. Soccer sporting director Matt Crocker and Pochettino overlapped during the coach’s year at Southampton. Crocker led Southampton’s academy at the time. He left in November 2013 to join England’s Football Association.

Crocker previously said U.S. Soccer wouldn’t be limited by financial restrictions for the coaching hire.

“It’s a really competitive market out there, salary-wise, and we have to be competitive to get the level of coach that I believe can take the program forward in terms of achieving the results that we want on the field,” Crocker said. “It’s a priority. It’s something we’re prepared to invest in and something that we will be investing in.”

Once the deal is finalized, Pochettino would be the team’s most high-profile coach since Jurgen Klinsmann, a World Cup winner. Klinsmann coached the German national team and Bayern Munich before taking on the U.S. job, but his fame came more from his on-field accomplishments as a player. Pochettino has made his name as a manager, with teams that use positional play to try to dominate space, but that also like to press and attack opposition.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Great hire.  No idea why we didn’t do this (hiring a legit coach) instead of rehiring Greggg but better later than never.

Also, f Roger Bennett.  Complete shill for the USSF but now we have a “real coach”

• Hook 'Em 1