BLOW THAT FUCKING HORN - COMMODORES TAKE DOWN #1 ALABAMA AT HOME ×

The next USMNT coach

Gucci_Suit

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This gruntles me greatly.

I've believed that the US has the problem of (a) working to get their players into European leagues to develop their skills at the highest level then (b) returning them to tournament competition in CONCACAF where games are played and officiated more like rec-league city park matches. A successful US manager will have to have a foot in both worlds.

This is almost certainly the best name we could hope for.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Great hire.  No idea why we didn’t do this (hiring a legit coach) instead of rehiring Greggg but better later than never.

rumor is that decision was made before Crocker was hired and he was forced to hire him. the Hayes and Poch hires are completely out of line with bringing Berhalter back so I think there's some truth to that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Please be true. 

Looks like it's true. 

Has to be the best coach we've ever had pretty easily, right? 

So I decided to pull our our modern era coaches (no interims) and rank them, you judge or make your own list:

1 Bruce Arena
2 Bora Milutinovic
3 Jurgen Klinsmann 
4 Bob Bradley
5 Gregg Berhalter
6 Steve Sampson

Poch is easily light years ahead of these guys.

Arena is brought down a little by the failed run after Klinsmann. But his run in 2002 was pretty electric.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Dog said:

rumor is that decision was made before Crocker was hired and he was forced to hire him. the Hayes and Poch hires are completely out of line with bringing Berhalter back so I think there's some truth to that. 

image.thumb.png.36932a1f6709089aa9b2932ef34068b7.png

TM says the same.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So I decided to pull our our modern era coaches (no interims) and rank them, you judge or make your own list:

1 Bruce Arena
2 Bora Milutinovic
3 Jurgen Klinsmann 
4 Bob Bradley
5 Gregg Berhalter
6 Steve Sampson

Arena is brought down a little by the failed run after Klinsmann. But his run in 2002 was pretty electric.

Berhalter is easily the worst for me.  Sampson finished 4th in the 1995 Cops and beat Argentina and Brazil in real matches.

The 1998 World Cup was destroyed by the Harkes affair.  We played well in qualifying getting our first result ever in the Azteca and only losing to Costa Rica away.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

1 Bruce Arena
2 Bora Milutinovic
3 Jurgen Klinsmann 
4 Bob Bradley
5 Gregg Berhalter
6 Steve Sampson

I'm not talking about how they fared with the US - just overall coaching acumen and success. 

Klinsmann managed a 3rd place world cup side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

1 Bruce Arena
2 Bora Milutinovic
3 Jurgen Klinsmann 
4 Bob Bradley
5 Gregg Berhalter
6 Steve Sampson

That gap between Bob Bradley and Gergg is wider than South Austin's mom's Grand Canyon 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Klinsmann  managed a 3rd place world cup side. 

Assistant coach Lowe & Germany 🇩🇪 managed a 3rd place run at home when Argentina couldn’t use a 3rd substitution on Messi due to a GK injury and Germany beat ARG in a shootout because the German keeper had a tendencies cheat sheet that he looked at before each kick.

Germany finished 2nd in 2002 and then Germany’s next two World Cups after Klinsmann saw them finishing 3rd in South Africa 2010 and 1st in Brazil 2014 under Lowe, so Klinsmann barely leading Der Mannschaft to 3rd at home was 🤷‍♂️.

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

1 Bruce Arena*
2 Bora Milutinovic
3 Jurgen Klinsmann 
4 Bob Bradley
5 Gregg Berhalter
6 Steve Sampson

1: Bruce Part 1 (1.0)

5: Sampson

6: Gregg B

7: Bruce Part 2 (2.0)

Edited by Napoleon

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Assistant coach Lowe & Germany 🇩🇪 managed a 3rd place run at home when Argentina couldn’t use a 3rd substitution on Messi due to a GK injury and Germany beat ARG in a shootout because the German keeper had a tendencies cheat sheet that he looked at before each kick.

Germany finished 2nd in 2002 and then Germany’s next two World Cups after Klinsmann saw them finishing 3rd in South Africa 2010 and 1st in Brazil 2014 under Lowe, so Klinsmann barely leading Der Mannschaft to 3rd at home was 🤷‍♂️.

1: Bruce Part 1 (1.0)

5: Sampson

6: Gregg B

7: Bruce Part 2 (2.0)

Right - so like I said, it's Poch then everyone else. 😆

I didn't realize how bad Jurgen was at Bayern. Yikes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can this thread survive until the next board meeting? Does the board need to meet in person? Are there no flights where they live? Holiday Inn Express booked up nearby before those dates?

Earn your fucking salaries and meet. Um, a head coach might warrant a special meeting. No wonder the program is fucked.

No final agreement has been signed between the two parties, the sources added, and the USSF board of directors is yet to sign off on any deal. A regular board meeting is scheduled for Aug. 23, though a special meeting could be called before then to finalize the appointment, a source added. No special meeting has yet been scheduled.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40866500/pochettino-agrees-become-united-states-coach-source

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Rage+1 4

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Can this thread survive until the next board meeting? Does the board need to meet in person? Are there no flights where they live? Holiday Inn Express booked up nearby before those dates?

Earn your fucking salaries and meet. Um, a head coach might warrant a special meeting. No wonder are program is fucked.

No final agreement has been signed between the two parties, the sources added, and the USSF board of directors is yet to sign off on any deal. A regular board meeting is scheduled for Aug. 23, though a special meeting could be called before then to finalize the appointment, a source added. No special meeting has yet been scheduled.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40866500/pochettino-agrees-become-united-states-coach-source

Given how they have acted before I reckon they don't see the importance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Earn your fucking salaries and meet. Um, a head coach might warrant a special meeting. No wonder the program is fucked.

If only there was a way for people to gather via video conference call to have a meeting today. 

Someday that technology could exist. (What year was Star Trek set in?)

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

From the articles, it seems Poch has some unresolved contractual matters with Chelsea pending. I'm guessing it's unlikely he'd officially put pen to paper for another contract before those matters are settled.

maybe, but what could that be? I mean, it is not like the two teams would compete. They already parted ways. I mean does he have the secret to their rehydration drink and has to prove he will not provide it? Lets be honest, as a Blues fan, it is not like they have any great secret and keep winning the EPL.

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If only there was a way for people to gather via video conference call to have a meeting today. 

Someday that technology could exist. (What year was Star Trek set in?)

Star Trek Glitch GIF by Reconnecting Roots

4 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I was going to change the thread title to include Mauricio’s name but I realized I have no idea how to do that. I’ve been in tech since forever and somehow can’t figure out simple message board shit. 

Did it occur to you that you may not have the authorization to change thread titles?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I was going to change the thread title to include Mauricio’s name but I realized I have no idea how to do that. I’ve been in tech since forever and somehow can’t figure out simple message board shit. 

You have to be tree fiddy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Until there is a press conference announcing Poch, we haven’t officially hired him.

From my understanding it’s really contract “stuff”.  I heard that, despite being fired, he’s still under contract with Chelsea. They need to work that out and get his contract worked out and we’re set. 

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Until there is a press conference announcing Poch, we haven’t officially hired him.

From my understanding it’s really contract “stuff”.  I heard that, despite being fired, he’s still under contract with Chelsea. They need to work that out and get his contract worked out and we’re set. 

You are correct!

15 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I mean it makes sense. If you have 40 players under contract, might as well have two managers as well!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today in Barcelona, the agreement for Mauricio Pochettino to be the coach of the US national team is expected to be finalized. A message will even be recorded for him to be broadcast when it is officially announced, which could be this afternoon. He will not be in Kansas tomorrow for the match against Canada, but he is expected on Tuesday in Cincinnati, where he will watch the game against New Zealand. He will debut in Austin against Panama on October 12, three days before his first classic against Mexico in Guadalajara.