Why Does The Internet Say I Am In Dallas?

Logged into my credit union app - had also logged in yesterday & the day before, etc. & suddenly it thinks I am on a new device + doing so from a Dallas location.

• Currently in Dripping Springs.

• I have not cleared cache.

• I have not reset or power cycled my phone.

• There has not been an update to my Android software / OS for probably +10 days & I have used the app multiple times since that last flash.

Why would the app think this is a new [everything related to my account]?

I did receive a text asking me to confirm it was me, so while I do appreciate the security🫡, I also am curious as to why that happened.

🤔🤔

Screenshot_20240702_111513_RBFCU.jpg

Screenshot_20240702_111853_Messages.jpg

20 minutes ago, Hate said:

“Near” Dallas is a relative term. If you don’t know Texas very well, Dripping Springs could be near Dallas. 

This.  Your phone was likely made in China, so anything in Texas it just assumes you are rustling cattle near Dallas.

44 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

It could quite literally be 'because you touch yourself.'

Better me than you.

*NTTAWWT

27 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Give me the log in credentials to your bank account and I can troubleshoot this for you.

PM sent.

24 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

You wouldn't have this problem if you switched entirely to Dogecoin.

1.  Current bank.

2.  Ameros.

3.  Shiba Inu's.

20 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Where does your Garmin say you are?

Your Moms house.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

31 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Are you sure that someone in Dallas did not log-in or attempt to log-in?  Isn't that the purpose of the alert?

I got the alert back to back after a log out maybe 4 minutes prior.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The cell towers are connected to wired long haul networks that could originate in Dallas. 

which is why I cannot watch the Dodgers on MLB network.  My T-Mobile home internet thinks I'm in L.A., instead of San Diego.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:24 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Logged into my credit union app - had also logged in yesterday & the day before, etc. & suddenly it thinks I am on a new device + doing so from a Dallas location.

• Currently in Dripping Springs.

• I have not cleared cache.

• I have not reset or power cycled my phone.

• There has not been an update to my Android software / OS for probably +10 days & I have used the app multiple times since that last flash.

Why would the app think this is a new [everything related to my account]?

I did receive a text asking me to confirm it was me, so while I do appreciate the security🫡, I also am curious as to why that happened.

🤔🤔

Screenshot_20240702_111513_RBFCU.jpg

Screenshot_20240702_111853_Messages.jpg

Let me guess.  You use AT&T for your service.

The cell towers are connected to wired long haul networks that could originate in Dallas. 

Yea I’m in TXK and I get on networks that I’m in dallas with Verizon. Been on Houston too. It’s an ip address assigned that originated in dallas or wherever at some time.

Posted (edited)

*backhaul

The weird thing is not so much Dallas, but that it called your login by a new device without having cleared cookies/cache.  I suppose at some point, garbage collection might have cleared part of your cache/cookies automagically and might have gotten the critical bit of spam.

For better or worse, I use CCleaner on my phone pretty routinely and it gets rid of 0.5 to 1GB of shit without affecting my logins, while clearing browsing data by itself will always affect my logins if I clear cookies.  Even though that 1/128 of garbage isn't all that much, it bugs me that it's there and I wonder how far it will accumulate.  I still haven't mentally adjusted to either the storage capacity or battery life of modern devices and remain semi-psychotic about charging, too.

Not sure what are the protocols for identifying logins, exactly, but would not have guessed that location was one of them.  That it "located" your device I would have thought to be more of a "convenience" to you (here's what type of device and here's it's approximate location) than a criteria for requiring confirmation of login.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Correct.  All other providers have poor to nil reception put here.

Reason I ask; I get the same thing from time to time.  Since the traffic is AT&T, and some websites equate AT&T traffic with their corporate headquarter address, you  are considered from "Dallas".    I've also had San Francisco and Atlanta considered as where my phone is since AT&T has a datacenters in those two cities as well.    Here's a list of all the known AT&T data centers

Other websites will do more accurate geolocation and don't rely fully on what datacenter is passing your traffic.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2024 at 10:13 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Reason I ask; I get the same thing from time to time.  Since the traffic is AT&T, and some websites equate AT&T traffic with their corporate headquarter address, you  are considered from "Dallas".    I've also had San Francisco and Atlanta considered as where my phone is since AT&T has a datacenters in those two cities as well.    Here's a list of all the known AT&T data centers

Other websites will do more accurate geolocation and don't rely fully on what datacenter is passing your traffic.

I get a mix of Chicago and Dallas.