Shark Attack talk not going away

chainsaw

Just now, Helobious said:

I don’t see how anyone could go swimming at SPI ever again after that. Sharks have clearly expanded their territory and these attacks are going to get way more frequent.

Wait, you think there haven't been sharks at South Padre before this weekend?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

What's your point?   It seems like you think the EPA is a joke, but then post articles that support the EPA's efficacy and importance.

The EPA sets guidelines that local municipalities are supposed to follow.  If anything, it seems like you're advocating for expanded EPA control and oversight.  And if you are, I agree.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, locodos said:

What's your point?   It seems like you think the EPA is a joke, but then post articles that support the EPA's efficacy and importance.

The EPA sets guidelines that local municipalities are supposed to follow.  If anything, it seems like you're advocating for expanded EPA control and oversight.  And if you are, I agree.

You're right. They do, or they did until the supreme court killed it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

47 minutes ago, Deej said:

South Padre was generally considered a better shark fishing area than the National Seashore, at least back in my shark catching days which ended about 15 years ago.

I heard some bullshit reasons why over the years but nothing I could really get behind.

Shark fishing in Texas generally gets better the farther south you go according to legend, but that has not been my experience.

One theory goes that the surf guts are deeper, but what do I know.

19 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Doesn’t look fun 

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg

This same thing happened to a shark researcher when they were filming and got the bite and aftermath recorded, and they turned it into a shark week doc called anatomy of a shark bite. 

The bite itself isn’t gruesome or gory but after that they show footage of the guy being carried out of the water and that looks as bad or worse than the pics of this lady, so be ready if you watch past the bite. 

Sharks are going to shark.  It's not personal.   In the ocean it's their world and we are merely an alternative food source to be consumed at their folly.   We (my fam) have been visiting the Florida (Destin, Mexico Beach, and Navarre) gulf coast for off and on for 25 years.  I have seen sharks more often than not.  Mostly bull pups swimming in about 2 - 3 foot of water.   We basically just keep an eye on them if we are in the water.  Not a big deal.  No panic and no "SHARRRRRRKKKKK!?!?!!!!!!"  I did see a decent sized tiger cruise not too far away from me one time and that freaked me out somewhat.  Enough to where I was trying to get my family's attention about 50-75 yards away to look out.  A good reminder to never get too complacent when you are in the water.

Speaking of tiger's I wonder if that was what did some of the SPI attacks going by the video of the shark cruising down the shore.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I grew up close to there and have heard of people catching small tiger sharks and all that. But there’s people on the RGV subreddit saying this one was huge, like 10-15 feet and that it might’ve been a great white. I’m not sure if that’s true but they’re saying some are moving in along the Texas coast now because of the hurricane.

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

So, not so much expanding their territory as just shifting it for a bit because of the hurricane?

Would they return once the hurricane is over? Not sure. If this was a great white I don’t think it’d be the only one.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I grew up close to there and have heard of people catching small tiger sharks and all that. But there’s people on the RGV subreddit saying this one was huge, like 10-15 feet and that it might’ve been a great white. I’m not sure if that’s true but they’re saying some are moving in along the Texas coast now because of the hurricane.

My money would be on bullshark...   I would bet the house against the shark being 12'-15'  

CSB I've seen a big Tiger up close, a shark like that looks like a 70's Cadillac just gliding through the water.  It's unreal that something that big just glides by you can see it but you can't otherwise feel something that big moving through the water 5' from you.  Other worldy terror.

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, locodos said:

My money would be on bullshark...   I would bet the house against the shark being 12'-15'  

CSB I've seen a big Tiger up close, a shark like that looks like a 70's Cadillac just gliding through the water.  It's unreal that something that big just glides by you can see it but you can't otherwise feel something that big moving through the water 5' from you.  Other worldy terror.

I have never heard of a bull shark on the Texas coast being anywhere close to 12'. Tiger and hammerhead all the time.

It's gotta be a bull, probably 8' max.

50 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You can’t possibly be this stupid.

• Haha 8

53 minutes ago, locodos said:

There is no way to accurately say how big the shark was based on people looking out from the beach.  I am with you in that it was almost for sure a bull shark and probably not close to 12 feet long.  Bull sharks going after bait fish bite surfers and waders all the time. 

But yeah, there are easily 12 foot long hammerheads and Tiger sharks lurking out there. 

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/travel-outdoors/article/Texas-man-catches-12-foot-tiger-shark-at-South-13153089.php

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/wild-chase-leads-texas-angler-catch-massive-hammerhead-shark.amp

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There is no way to accurately say how big the shark was based on people looking out from the beach.  I am with you in that it was almost for sure a bull shark and probably not close to 12 feet long.  Bull sharks going after bait fish bite surfers and waders all the time. 

But yeah, there are easily 12 foot long hammerheads and Tiger sharks lurking out there. 

https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/travel-outdoors/article/Texas-man-catches-12-foot-tiger-shark-at-South-13153089.php

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/wild-chase-leads-texas-angler-catch-massive-hammerhead-shark.amp

Yes, there are some very large sharks at Texas beaches. But I mean, there is a fucking video of this shark on this thread . It’s a 6 foot long bull shark. Good grief.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yes, there are some very large sharks at Texas beaches. But I mean, there is a fucking video of this shark on this thread . It’s a 6 foot long bull shark. Good grief.

Well Quint, go catch that thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

just a reminder that Bulls are actually pretty calm. Stupid people splashing around in the water acting like Bull prey is the main cause of attacks.

Yeah what kind of fucking idiot swims at the beach? 

3 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

There are a shit ton of beaches on this planet that aren't full of sharks. The Gulf of Mexico is fucking full of sharks.

Dammit, motion to rename it, “The Gulf of Sharks”

25 minutes ago, B00M said:

Yeah what kind of fucking idiot swims at the beach? 

One that trusts all of the sharks in the area to not make mistakes, or have been on a cold streak hunting and willing to choose a less appetizing prey. 

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Remember sharks don’t like the taste of humans

Texans have a more barbecue flavor and aren’t quite as lean. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yep, look at the bite radius. If the young lady's calf was 100% in the sharks mouth, that is about an 18" wide mouth.

CHIEF

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Yep, look at the bite radius. If the young lady's calf was 100% in the sharks mouth, that is about an 18" wide mouth.

CHIEF

She might have made it, if she wasn’t wearing her good luck ham. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Drool 1