Genesis Windshield....insurance or no?

So a giant chunk of wood fell off a trailer in front of my car, smacked the windshield hard enough to embed a sizable splinter in it, and there's a very large series of cracks in it.  No body damage.  In 2022 my wife got into a bit of a wreck in it, and $2,500 of the $8,000 insurance claim for it was just replacing/recalibrating the windshield (cameras/sensors)...so I know generally how expensive the repair will be.

Beyond writing my car off as cursed, I'm weighing whether to file a claim for it ($500 deductible) due to worry that two claims in two years would cause my rates to skyrocket.  I can pay out of pocket, but of course it'd be $2k more than just filing a claim.  Thoughts?

I’ll let the actual insurance folks chime in but this kinda shit is what makes me cringe on eventually buying a new car after a mobile windshield guy came to my ofc and drop a new one in for $150. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Do rates go up based on no-fault claims?  Especially one that is only 2k for them?

Quick Google shows that Texas doesn't have a law preventing it, so naturally it will.  Also I am not surprised by this at all

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems wrong to the point of illegality that if someone is unlucky and has claims from the negligence of others, that they could end up paying more for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

How about being penalized because you lived in Soutb Florida 15 years ago & are penalized NOW for a hurricane property claim you filed back then... & your current home is constructed with modern protocols, modern building code, modern standards & safety factored in... the property is in urban Portland, Oregon.

The insurer is allowed to penalize you for actually using the very thing you pay for.

Someone who gets their very first property insurance in South Florida is paying the risk factored in fornhurricanes but may not have a higher premium than someone who lived in Port Saint Lucie & had 2 claims inside of 2 months because 2 hurricanes raked an almost identical path from Fort Pierce up to Vero.

IMO, blame the location, not the desire to actually use the insurance.

🤬🤬🤬

How about being penalized because you lived in Soutb Florida 15 years ago & are penalized NOW for a hurricane property claim you filed back then... & your current home is constructed with modern protocols, modern building code, modern standards & safety factored in... the property is in urban Portland, Oregon.
The insurer is allowed to penalize you for actually using the very thing you pay for.

Someone who gets their very first property insurance in South Florida is paying the risk factored in fornhurricanes but may not have a higher premium than someone who lived in Port Saint Lucie & had 2 claims inside of 2 months because 2 hurricanes raked an almost identical path from Fort Pierce up to Vero.

Florida's insurance market or lack thereof is not what I would use as a barometer. It's such an outlier on the insurance bellcurve because of all the BS, new laws, and citizens' insurance (FL government insurance). Signed NW FL resident

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
24 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

emoji2959.pngemoji2959.pngemoji2959.png

Florida's insurance market or lack thereof is not what I would use as a barometer. It's such an outlier on the insurance bellcurve because of all the BS, new laws, and citizens' insurance (FL government insurance). Signed NW FL resident

The problem is being penalized for using something you pay for.  IMO certain types of policies for your property insurance should be based on the location as opposed to the claimant.

Live in the West Glacier area?  Maybe what the trees around you are like, how far away from a hydrant, design of the house, etc.  Base the fire risk on THAT stuff & not "Well 32 years ago when Andrew blasted through Kendall, Perrine & Homestead they filed."

Glass claims are separate for most insurance companies and aren't really a thing that drives the premium. 

Also why are you paying for this and not the truck that dropped the wood? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, in this I agree.  I also know it's Texas and business must be protected at all costs.  Therefore I decline to subscribe to your newsletter.

Did some research and Safelite can replace for $975, instead of the $2,500 for OEM.  Only potential issue will be the HUD may not be quite as sharp, but I turned it off as I rarely used it and it was starting to get some light bleed...a somewhat known issue probably due to the Texas heat (thanks Korea.)  Also during this process learned that we didn't have glass coverage enabled for a $50 deductible, because my wife wanted to use her friend's agency to "help her out" and I foolishly didn't trust but verify the coverages were done right.  

I'm going to write this agent to see what she thinks, with the license plate number, before I file a claim.  But if I have to pay out of pocket, not going to sweat it too much.

Edited by Homercles

There are a lot of horror stories out there about cheap windshield installs causing problems later on.  They pull the rivets out and go in quickly with larger generic sized screws into the old holes without sealing it up properly.  The also reuse the same old brittle gaskets and trim pieces. Then the enlarged hole around the screw starts getting rusty, and the rust builds under your A-pillar unbeknownst to you until years later when it manifests as a leak down the pillar onto the interior floorboard. 

On 7/5/2024 at 4:45 PM, immamac said:

Glass claims are separate for most insurance companies and aren't really a thing that drives the premium. 

Also why are you paying for this and not the truck that dropped the wood? 

Perhaps. Perhaps not. It's hard for us to get a straight answer from the carriers. They're not supposed to really matter but where I can 100% say that matter is if you are shopping other carriers and they see you have a couple of glass claims, maybe a towing or two, and boom you're denied terms even if you have accidents on your record. You could lose loss-free credits that are on your policy and those could very easily be worth hundreds of dollars per year.

Ideally, yes, the truck driver could be held liable -- but first you've got to get him to stop, acknowledge the issue and produce his insurance information. Just getting his license plate information isn't going to do the trick, less'n maybe you've got the whole thing clearly recorded on a dash cam. Even then, your insurance carrier isn't going to put in the leg work to chase the other driver down for a $2500 or less windshield.

8 hours ago, Your Mom said:

There are a lot of horror stories out there about cheap windshield installs causing problems later on.  They pull the rivets out and go in quickly with larger generic sized screws into the old holes without sealing it up properly.  The also reuse the same old brittle gaskets and trim pieces. Then the enlarged hole around the screw starts getting rusty, and the rust builds under your A-pillar unbeknownst to you until years later when it manifests as a leak down the pillar onto the interior floorboard. 

I tell my clients they're OK filing one windshield claim per five-year period. After that, it's up to them. We'll look at their claim history and advise them of what is on there and what ramifications exist if you rack up these smaller claims. The HNW carriers -- and some middle market products -- will offer full glass coverage with no deductible. That's more enticing to file a claim in those instances. The bottom line is that ANY claim that is going to pay less than $2K after deductible is applied is best handled out-of-pocket IMO. The number is higher for collision claims. Again, the glass situation used to not be a big deal but it's hard to get a true read on it these days.