Cables on the House - What do I really need?

Been in our house for 6 years.  Started with Spectrum, but now use GFiber for Internet and TV. No home phone. I know exactly where the GFiber cable runs into the house, but I have old cables everywhere outside the house and some exposed cables in the ground. Also old boxes just looking useless on the side of the house.  I want to just get rid of them all.  Do I need to call ATT and Time Warner to have them come clean it up, or can I just start cutting?  Will I ever need this stuff again? Maybe for home secuirty, etc? 

Posted (edited)

If you call ATT or whoever and ask them to come trim your old cable wiring and remove old boxes, they'll laugh at you and tell you to do it yourself. They will not maintain old cable, especially considering that could have been laid by a different company. It's the onus of the owner of the place to remove old cable and boxes (and dishes) when they switch service, not the cable providers. This is, in fact, not them just being a lazy dick, but for insurance liability problems. They don't want to get sued for creating holes in your roof or whatever.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you have a cable going from outside to inside.... let's say the attic, you may consider leaving it.   In the future, you could use it to pull in a new electrical wire or other wire.  We did security cameras at my oldest kid's place and getting wire from the attic into the eave was a PITA.  

• Hook 'Em 2

If you call ATT or whoever and ask them to come trim your old cable wiring and remove old boxes, they'll laugh at you and tell you to do it yourself. They will not maintain old cable, especially considering that could have been laid by a different company. It's the onus of the owner of the place to remove old cable and boxes (and dishes) when they switch service, not the cable providers. This is, in fact, not them just being a lazy dick, but for insurance liability problems. They don't want to get sued for creating holes in your roof or whatever.

They’ve already created the hole.

33 minutes ago, luke duke said:

They’ve already created the hole.

A nail driven through your roof doesn't leak until you remove the nail unless it was installed incorrectly. Hence why your roof doesn't leak when you install shingles. I installed roofs with my broher throughout highschool every summer as a job.

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 2:40 AM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I actually did call AT&T when we dropped our land line.  It took a while, but an AT&T guy did show up and did remove the line running between the power pole and the house.  I asked him to leave the terminating box on our house because we had wires running out of our house to it.  I just wanted the overhead wire gone.

Edited by Texas Jeff

3 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I actually did call AT&T when we dropped our land line.  It took a while, but an AT&T guy did show up and did remove the line running between the power pole and the house.  I asked him to leave the terminating box on our house because we had wires running out of our house to it.  I just wanted the overhead wire gone.

Those are things they do service, because it runs from a power pole to a central point of connection. Regular people aren't supposed to remove those, you need either the power company or the cable company to remove those. What is being discussed are cable lines running along your house, like exterior wiring to separate outlets. As in wiring from the central point of connection to other spots on the house. Stuff like this:

Screenshot_20240708_015956.png

• Like 1

A nail driven through your roof doesn't leak until you remove the nail unless it was installed incorrectly. Hence why your roof doesn't leak when you install shingles. I installed roofs with my broher throughout highschool every summer as a job.

giphy.gif