Bronny James

Derka

On 7/12/2024 at 11:32 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah. I've said it before - he's basically a poorish man's Davion Mitchell. 

We shouldn't be surprised, honestly. Has an elite NBA player ever had a kid wind up as good as him? There are journeyman guys whose kids wound up being great players but I can't think of an all-timer who's had a kid worth a shit. I mean Brent Barry is one of the better examples if not the best. 

Maybe Arvydas and Domanatas is the best father/son duo? But Sabonis Sr. obviously didn't spend his prime in the NBA.

Probably one of those two or Mychal/Klay, Dell/Steph.

How would you rate Kenyon Martin Sr./Jr.?

18 hours ago, Fud said:

I think some of the stuff they pull is annoying, but I think he’s an amazing agent 

He's had the upper hand from the jump, having the most valuable player in the league who is, let's say, pushing the rules and boundaries of what's legal and tampering.  He's done a good job, but it'll be interesting to see how he does once Lebron steps away.  Then again, Lebron is angling to be a majority owner in the Las Vegas expansion organization so maybe the gravy train never ends....

I listened to a few minutes of a gambling show today. The hosts are betting covers on every Bronny summer league game because he plays so many minutes and takes so many shots. Called the Lakers 4 on 5 basketball. Ouch. 

Again, LeBron had an out. Swollen knee. Shut Bronny down for the summer. Photo op in the season opener. Hide him in the G League. Nobody watches the G League, but plenty of people watch the summer league. 

lebron forcing his son to work for the family business is the shittiest thing he’s done in a long time. that’s your kid man. stop putting your own ego ahead of his health.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

Someone in that thread asked MSCopilot to write an article about bronny's domination on/off the court

”Coach’s Dilemma: Substitution or Respawn?”

Bronny’s dual success has left his coaches in a bit of a quandary. “Do we sub him out for a breather or let him respawn?”

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Derka said:

lebron forcing his son to work for the family business is the shittiest thing he’s done in a long time. that’s your kid man. stop putting your own ego ahead of his health.

I'm really torn on this. For all that LeBron has done for the NBA over nearly 25 years, I don't really care that the league and the Lakers did him a solid by drafting an undeserving player to appease/thank him.

BUT LeBron was absolutely a key member of the group of NBA stars who resented Steph and Klay's quick success and media attention because they were rich kids from NBA households that didn't have "struggle" like they did to get to where they are (bullshit). Now, he's pushing his rich kid out there with 1/1000 of their talent and expecting other players to not try to humiliate him?

Ken Griffey Jr. stealing fly balls from his dad in the outfield and hitting back-to-back home runs will always be one of the coolest things to ever happen in MLB. This will never be that. LeBron will eventually pass to him for a corner 3 that he actually makes, and the reaction will be, "Okay, are you satisfied now?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm really torn on this. For all that LeBron has done for the NBA over nearly 25 years, I don't really care that the league and the Lakers did him a solid by drafting an undeserving player to appease/thank him.

BUT LeBron was absolutely a key member of the group of NBA stars who resented Steph and Klay's quick success and media attention because they were rich kids from NBA households that didn't have "struggle" like they did to get to where they are (bullshit). Now, he's pushing his rich kid out there with 1/1000 of their talent and expecting other players to not try to humiliate him?

Ken Griffey Jr. stealing fly balls from his dad in the outfield and hitting back-to-back home runs will always be one of the coolest things to ever happen in MLB. This will never be that. LeBron will eventually pass to him for a corner 3 that he actually makes, and the reaction will be, "Okay, are you satisfied now?"

I get that nepotism happens in all areas of life. Fine. But ESPN shoving alerts down my throat about this dude is so fucking annoying. They are absoutely shameless.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I get that nepotism happens in all areas of life. Fine. But ESPN shoving alerts down my throat about this dude is so fucking annoying. They are absoutely shameless.

I was on the ESPN NBA homepage a couple of days ago, and there was no shit a "Teaser" headline to a highlight video that said something like "bronny throws down layup"

• Haha 1

Bronny isnt the bad guy here, he is the victim and I feel bad for him. LeBron is the bad guy. He is the one who put Bronny in this situation when he wasn't ready. The Lakers are also the bad guy for drafting a shitty player that wasn't even ready for the summer league. 

• Hook 'Em 1

bronny getting that contract is only going to make things worse. the lakers have a four year deal to a guy who wouldn’t get important minutes at UT this year. chendall weaver might legitimately be better than bronny and he’ll probably come off the bench at Texas this year, meanwhile bronny gets a 4-year nba contract because daddy said so. the shit ain’t right.

Meh, there are far more egregious examples of nepotism in other industries. Shit, even in college/pro sports, how many head coaches' sons are taking up space on a bench? Just a lot harder to hide this one.

I realize that it's Lebron who a lot of people hate and I'm sure ESPN is shoving this down everyone's throat to make it worse but is this really that much worse than Thanasis' career on the Bucks?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I realize that it's Lebron who a lot of people hate and I'm sure ESPN is shoving this down everyone's throat to make it worse but is this really that much worse than Thanasis' career on the Bucks?

The first half of your sentence answers the question. 

Bronny had more fouls than points. 

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Meh, there are far more egregious examples of nepotism in other industries. Shit, even in college/pro sports, how many head coaches' sons are taking up space on a bench? Just a lot harder to hide this one.

Agreed.

I think the real "victim" here is going to be Bryce James. Lebron's second boy, who by all reports, is legitimately really good and already 6'6 at 17 (Bronny is what? 6'1 realistically?).

When Bryce hits the scene in college and NBA people are going to judge him not on his own merits, but on the nepo crapshow we are watching with Bronny and he will have to earn his respect.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Agreed.

I think the real "victim" here is going to be Bryce James. Lebron's second boy, who by all reports, is legitimately really good and already 6'6 at 17 (Bronny is what? 6'1 realistically?).

When Bryce hits the scene in college and NBA people are going to judge him not on his own merits, but on the nepo crapshow we are watching with Bronny and he will have to earn his respect.

It will require a nuanced PR  campaign to highlight his superior abilities but at the same time carefully manage expectations. I know just the man to orchestrate it 

Spoiler

The Year LaVar Ball Won Everything | GQ

Edited by Blotto
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Agreed.

Bryce is overrated just like Bronny was. He’s also closer to 6’2-6’3 than 6’6.

Maybe he’ll keep growing though. Same thing was said about Bronny. 

2 hours ago, Derka said:

Ahead of HIS health?

I just saw that highlight.

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

The article is worth the click for a few chuckles:

James was given a “custom made Call of Duty Warzone championship belt” for his remarkable efforts, which is something that no other player from this rookie class can claim.

Bronny and LeBron now (probably) have the most Call of Duty Warzone championship belts of any father-son duo in NBA history.

And reddit comments.

Bronny earned this.

Lebron just got Bronny this contract for him so he could get him to move out his house.

He wants to be LeWineMom in peace.

He wants leprivacy.

LePeace and LeQuiet.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

yes, it is. they drafted and gave a four year contract to a player who is likely going to be the worst player in the entire g league. having thanasis on the end of your bench to keep your afro-greek superstar mvp comfortable and happy on your way to a title is one thing; drafting and giving a four year contract to a kid who is better at video games than he is at basketball so that lebron can stroke his own ego is just asinine.

Edited by Derka

On 7/12/2024 at 9:42 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm headed to Vegas this weekend for 6 nights of food, pool time, debauchery with the wife, you get the idea.

When we saw the Summer League schedule for Monday included a 7:30 pm game between the Celtics and Lakers, it was an instant buy.  So, tickets in hand, we are going to witness Bronny's performance in person.

Reporting from the game last night.

Crowd was probably 70/30 Lakers fans, with every other team making up the remainder.  Upper deck was 95% empty so take that for what it’s worth. Thomas & Mack is a nice arena, large, easy to get around, you get the idea.   Sidenote:  there were so many fans of the NBA in attendance; I saw nearly every team jersey represented amongst the non-Laker faithful.  For those of you wondering, yeah, it could be hella fun to take a trip to catch as many summer league games as you can.  Tickets are single price for the entire day at both arenas (we paid $60 a ticket) you can come and go as you please, you can sit nearly anywhere you wish, and the food/beer/booze choices were decent.  

The kid simply can’t play the game at this level.  Physically, he looks the part, but how many 6’ 2” players in the NBA are incapable of bringing the ball up court against token NBA defenses?  The Laker fans around us were bitching and moaning constantly when he was on the floor; openly asking why he was getting so many minutes at the expense of others.  In the 4th, when he hit his only shot of the game, the arena got loud—-more mocking than anything.  It’s gotta be rough on a 19 year old to hear that.

On the flip slide, Knect (sp) played a solid game, and he didn’t get nearly the applause and cheering that Bronny did for his one make.   To be a Laker on this summer league team and see the playing time, the cheers, etc going to Bronny has to be disheartening.   

I don’t blame LeBron from doing what he did.   Most any of us would get our kid on the company payroll if we could.  But it could have been some other team position, because handing 3 guaranteed years to the kid in the most public job the team has was an incredible disservice.  But hey, LBJ will throw an assist to the kid in some early season game (or vice versa) and ESPN can milk that for 48 hours or so.

2 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I'm amused anyone ever thought Jeanie Buss would have a problem with undeserved nepotism.

This is a very good point. Also, she has nice boobs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Derka said:

forcing your son to take a guaranteed $8mil payday is damn near child abuse !!!!

Contrast with what MJ did when he had a mediocre, small son. He let him try to make it and fail at the NCAA level and then go do drugs and date the 50 year old ex-wife of his best teammate. 

That's the way, LeGM.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

forcing your son to take a guaranteed $8mil payday is damn near child abuse !!!!

bronny already has access to more money than he could spend in three lifetimes. thanks to his dad he’s now the biggest punching bag in american sports.

2 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Contrast with what MJ did when he had a mediocre, small son. He let him try to make it and fail at the NCAA level and then go do drugs and date the 50 year old ex-wife of his best teammate. 

That's the way, LeGM.

Denzel Washington GIF

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

LeBron will lobby for the NBA to move in the 3 point line. 

No way on earth Bronny was ready for the pros. Hell, he could barely start on any competent D1 team. LeBron knows his time is coming to a close in the NBA and most likely pushed for his son to enter the draft knowing he would for sure tell the Lakers to draft him. He just wants to say he played with his son just once on the court. And he'll retire. LeBron knows the Lakers have zero shot to compete for any championships. It's just a circus act now. His son is just a punching bag now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/15/2024 at 1:32 PM, ztejas said:

Imagine if he had split his time developing his shot with developing his video game acumen.  He'd have at least 1 3-pt FG at this point.

Paying fans should be glad they are only being subjected to this BS in summer league.  Even Reddick is not stupid enough to give Bronny real minutes.

That said, let Bronny and Lebron start game 1 together.  Have Jr. heave a 3 and feign a hamstring injury, allowing him to join the pro E-sports ranks.