Longlegs

Pretty excited about this one. The marketing's been great so hopefully the trailer isn't better than the movie itself, but I've loved Oz Perkins since The Blackcoat's Daughter so I'm looking forward to seeing another of his movies. My son and I are going to see it this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Can’t recall a horror movie with this much hype in a while. Makes me think it might suck 

This was my first impression 

Now I just don’t know 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Have tickets for next Saturday night, can’t wait. It’s been a mid last 18 months or so for horror. Hopefully this lives up to the hype.

That's when we're going. I didn't see the Alamo email about Tuesday's advance screening in time to grab tickets. :( 

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Can’t recall a horror movie with this much hype in a while. Makes me think it might suck 

Excuse me?  Talk to Me came our last year and was a huge success for a horror movie.  

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Excuse me?  Talk to Me came our last year and was a huge success for a horror movie.  

Talk to me was good but it didn’t get this level of pre-release hype. It got more word of mouth buzz afterwords.

This movie was worth the hype. My wife, and a friend of ours went and saw an early preview. It's worth the price of admission and I will be going back to see it on Friday. It's truly THAT good. Absolutely creepy. 

Check out - https://thebirthdaymurders.net

As well as r/thebirthdaymurders 

It has some really cool stuff like codes that you can see on both the site and redditors cracking them before seeing the movie. 

Also, the site itself (the https) has some really cool stuff on it like who's behind it, people asking questions, and all kinds of cool stuff. 

Highly, highly recommend this movie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, austingirl said:

Pretty excited about this one. The marketing's been great so hopefully the trailer isn't better than the movie itself, but I've loved Oz Perkins since The Blackcoat's Daughter so I'm looking forward to seeing another of his movies. My son and I are going to see it this weekend.

It's worth every bit of the hype. We got to see an early screening and man it was crazy. Go see it! It's worth the hype and the wait!

Check below and you'll see a site I linked that has some cool stuff that you can read about the with the FBI investigation, who may be behind it, the suspects, why, and just some cool stuff. Also check out the reddit link I provided, too. Some of the codes have been partially solved, but you won't guess the ending. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Codes, not riddles
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2024 at 1:36 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Have tickets for next Saturday night, can’t wait. It’s been a mid last 18 months or so for horror. Hopefully this lives up to the hype.

It does. Also, Alien Romulus comes out August 16th, as well as Nosferatu on Christmas day. Pretty, pretty good couple of months for horror. 

A tad overhyped but still a very good movie overall. Nic Cage was the best thing about it. At first I thought his character was going to be hard to take serious, but man did he turn up the creepiness towards the end. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 1:36 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Feel like horror has been on an enjoyable consistent tear for some time now.  Your expectations must be quite high

Posted (edited)

What's a comparable film for the level of horror?  My wife can take Silence of the Lambs and heavy violence but supernatural stuff like The Exorcist, there's no fucking way she'll go.

Edited by CooterBrown

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

What's a comparable film for the level of horror?  My wife can take Silence of the Lambs and heavy violence but supernatural stuff like The Exorcist, there's no fucking way she'll go.

She probably wouldn’t like it. 

9 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Feel like horror has been on an enjoyable consistent tear for some time now.  Your expectations must be quite high

I think it’s a product of how tremendous 2021 and 2022 were. Of course, I had my first child in December of 22 and I definitely watch less now, so maybe I’m just out of the loop.

But last year, for example, I only loved When Evil Lurks and Talk to Me. Infinity Pool, No One Will Save You, Sick and Huesera were aight, Skinamarink was what it was, and then it was a bunch of meh to bad like Evil Dead Rise, Birth/Rebirth, Cobweb (hated it), Scream 6 and Perpetrator. 

This year, First Omen is the only thing I’ve really loved. In A Violent Nature was pretty cool, and Sanctuary and Late Night with the Devil were both ok. Abigail was hot garbage. But I’m all in on Longlegs, Maxxxine, Smile 2 and, of course Nosferatu, so fingers crossed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think it’s a product of how tremendous 2021 and 2022 were. Of course, I had my first child in December of 22 and I definitely watch less now, so maybe I’m just out of the loop.

But last year, for example, I only loved When Evil Lurks and Talk to Me. Infinity Pool, No One Will Save You, Sick and Huesera were aight, Skinamarink was what it was, and then it was a bunch of meh to bad like Evil Dead Rise, Birth/Rebirth, Cobweb (hated it), Scream 6 and Perpetrator. 

This year, First Omen is the only thing I’ve really loved. In A Violent Nature was pretty cool, and Sanctuary and Late Night with the Devil were both ok. Abigail was hot garbage. But I’m all in on Longlegs, Maxxxine, Smile 2 and, of course Nosferatu, so fingers crossed.

Similar baby timing here, early 23

We Def differ regarding evil dead rise and late night with the devil.  Thought evil dead was bad ass and late night was in the solid good range. 

First omen was *muah* for sure. 

Still have Infinity Pool on the list..

What are some 2022s you'd recommend that may have been overlooked? 

I have immaculate, infinity pool, Abigail on my watch list in no particular order.

Edited by BurgleBro
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Roughly in order for me, Speak No Evil, Barbarian, X, Terrifier 2, The Sadness, Resurrection, Pearl, Crimes of the Future, Nope (sort of ish, maybe more sci-fi), Smile, Nanny, Men, Watcher, Black Phone. And then even some dumb horror comedy stuff like The Menu, Bodies x3, Fresh and Scream were pretty good. 

On Evil Dead Rise, nothing wrong with it for sure, I think I’m just kind of tired of the set up at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Similar baby timing here, early 23

We Def differ regarding evil dead rise and late night with the devil.  Thought evil dead was bad ass and late night was in the solid good range. 

First omen was *muah* for sure. 

Still have Infinity Pool on the list..

I have immaculate, infinity pool, Abigail on my watch list in no particular order.

Infinity pool is just damn weird

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 1:12 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Nic cage huh.  Do we know if this is supernatural or just crazy killer?

Have you seen The Blackcoat's Daughter?

I believe it was his (Perkins) first film. If you want the gist of it let me know. (And no, I'm not saying it is or isn't, just they have similarities). 

It's the same for this movie. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Added Perkins name

On 7/11/2024 at 10:24 PM, Helobious said:

A tad overhyped but still a very good movie overall. Nic Cage was the best thing about it. At first I thought his character was going to be hard to take serious, but man did he turn up the creepiness towards the end. 

Agreed. I think it was overhyped, but that wasn't because of Cage or Perkins, it was because of the people marketing it was the scariest movie of the decade. It's still a phenomenal movie, and Cage's performance was creepy as fuck. I enjoyed Maika Monroe, too. Kiernan Shipka was good even in her limited role. She played being haunted very well. She did that as well in The Blackcoat's Daughter. 

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It's more of a thriller than anything. There's really nothing like it to compare it to. It's truly its own unique film. 

15 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Maxxine is kind of a letdown, tbh. Add Alien Romulus and Nosferatu and hell yeah. 

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Maxxine is kind of a letdown, tbh. Add Alien Romulus and Nosferatu and hell yeah. 

Is Maxxine a letdown because it's really not great, or because of all the high expectations after X and Pearl?

22 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Sick and Cobweb were so dumb. Huge letdowns, IMO. I loooved When Evil Lurks and Talk to Me, too. So In a Violent Nature was good? I've avoided it because it looks like the Terrifier movies, which I absolutely hate, where the entire point is the gore.

23 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Haha, compliments to your great (though obviously deranged) taste in movies 😄

I would like to further venture on my road to derangement and personal mental collapse. Will this film help me become more disaffected and possibly lean into my more bloodlusty thoughtscapes?  I need a good shock to the system. 

Last time I felt real fucked up/awesome from a horror film was hereditary. Talk to me was really great but did not have the same effect. 
hereditary GIF by A24

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

So In a Violent Nature was good? I've avoided it because it looks like the Terrifier movies, which I absolutely hate, where the entire point is the gore.

You could probably skip. The cinematography was really interesting, sort of like if Malick shot a B movie (or at least that’s what they were going for). But yeah, there are at least 2 absolutely gnarly kills

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

would like to further venture on my road to derangement and personal mental collapse. Will this film help me become more disaffected and possibly lean into my more bloodlusty thoughtscapes?  I need a good shock to the system. 

Not a movie, but I just binged all 96 episodes of Dexter since it showed up on Netflix, and I had some time to kill so to speak with Covid. That will stretch your morality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Not a movie, but I just binged all 96 episodes of Dexter since it showed up on Netflix, and I had some time to kill so to speak with Covid. That will stretch your morality. 

I’ve done Dexter and find it a bit sanitized, though totally bingeable and enjoyable. Season with Lithgow was my favorite and like any longer running show it kind of runs out of steam.

i will make a point to see this film, as i am unabashed in my love of nic cage. 

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

I’ve done Dexter and find it a bit sanitized, though totally bingeable and enjoyable. Season with Lithgow was my favorite and like any longer running show it kind of runs out of steam.

i will make a point to see this film, as i am unabashed in my love of nic cage. 

Dexter is told from his perspective, and he has no empathy and few emotions. It’s one thing I liked about it.  Agree that it got repetitive, and his final revelation should have happened at the end of the lithgow season. 

Last nic cage movie I saw was probably Color out of Space, which I can barely remember other than it was strange. 

i did enjoy unbearable weight of massive talent or whatever, but that’s not in line with the oeuvre of this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, austingirl said:

Is Maxxine a letdown because it's really not great, or because of all the high expectations after X and Pearl?

Sick and Cobweb were so dumb. Huge letdowns, IMO. I loooved When Evil Lurks and Talk to Me, too. So In a Violent Nature was good? I've avoided it because it looks like the Terrifier movies, which I absolutely hate, where the entire point is the gore.

It's a bit of both, sadly. What should have been great was by far the weakest entry. 

It's really not great. It starts off really well in the first 2 acts and then the third act hits and you're left thinking "Why?".

I'm kinda bummed I saw this in theaters after I was hyped for it when it was announced. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

This was a mixed bag for me but overall really liked it.

The Nic Cage piece just didn’t work for me. Not his fault, but every time he was on screen people were snickering in my theater, whereas the rest of the actors and plot were tonally very serious. Seemed like he needed to be like Bob from Twin Peaks, but Nic Cage just can’t be anything but a goof at this point. 

The last 15 minutes really, really worked for me. Hair stands up on my arms thinking about it.

We (me and my partner in crime, my 16-yo horror-fan son) really liked it. He hated The Blackcoat's Daughter so I was worried, but I feel like Oz Perkins has really hit his stride and I'm excited to see what he does in the future.

Spoiler

All I could think about with Nic Cage was Norman Bates's mom in Psycho - his dress and overall look has to be a callback, right? I think much of that plus the revelations with Alicia Witt's character has something to do with Oz Perkins and the secrets his parents kept from him. I also knew the minute we met Blair Underwood's family that they'd end up being murdered. Do we think the doll at the end transferred the Satanic impulses into Lee? I also wondered if there was something with her last name being Harker, caller of angels. Anyway, lots to unpack and I'm sure I'll be thinking about it for a long time.

One surprising thing I learned from the pre-show is that Oz Perkins was a side character in Legally Blonde! I mean, he looks just like his dad but I wouldn't have put it together if not for this movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/7/2024 at 8:41 PM, Helobious said:

People still watch movies at Alamo? Once regular theaters got reclining seats and alcohol I didn’t think anyone still saw the appeal. 

Did your regular theater have videos of T Rex live and other cool shit before the previews?

Yeah I didn't think so. Who likes cool shit anyway

It was a pretty good silence of the lambs spiritual sequel that turns into a blumhouse movie over the last 25 minutes. Very good movie, but not an all timer or anything for me. I think that it tries to be both movies hurts it a bit 

Listened to the beginning on the Big Picture episode on the drive home from the movie, and I didn't realize Oz Perkins was Anthony Perkins' son. Looking at his movies, The Blackcoat's Daughter is a movie I usually recommend both for "alternative horrors" and "lesser known movies that I like". I thought I Am the Pretty Little Thing that Lives Under the Stairs sucked, and Gretal and Hansel looked good but wasn't good

As a side note, I try to avoid trailers at theaters (usually wait 15 or 20 minutes after the start time to walk in) but this time I sat down when they started, and every fucking trailer showed scenes from the 2nd and 3rd acts of the movies. I get that they're trying to hook people to the theaters for a struggling industry, but I hate it

2 hours ago, Fud said:

It was a pretty good silence of the lambs spiritual sequel that turns into a blumhouse movie over the last 25 minutes. Very good movie, but not an all timer or anything for me. I think that it tries to be both movies hurts it a bit 

Listened to the beginning on the Big Picture episode on the drive home from the movie, and I didn't realize Oz Perkins was Anthony Perkins' son. Looking at his movies, The Blackcoat's Daughter is a movie I usually recommend both for "alternative horrors" and "lesser known movies that I like". I thought I Am the Pretty Little Thing that Lives Under the Stairs sucked, and Gretal and Hansel looked good but wasn't good

As a side note, I try to avoid trailers at theaters (usually wait 15 or 20 minutes after the start time to walk in) but this time I sat down when they started, and every fucking trailer showed scenes from the 2nd and 3rd acts of the movies. I get that they're trying to hook people to the theaters for a struggling industry, but I hate it

The interview with Oz at the end of that episode is really, really great. Interesting deep dive into the creative process and intent of this movie (even if, for me, some of the intent really didn't come through). 

I really really wanted to like this movie. Maybe my expectations were too high after reading this thread and other reviews. But I thought it was just meh. Some creepiness here and there. But it feels like they crammed a lot in but didn’t really explain anything. Or it didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things in the movie. I thought that Cage overacted and his singing was just plain cheesy. I wouldn’t see it again and I wouldn’t really recommend it to others. It was just ok