VRBO question: who is renting their house in austin for GA v TX on F1 weekend?

markstanco

I was cruising some pricing (not going) because I was curious. It’s the first of July and the spike is already incredible. Anybody thinking of hauling ass for a few days to make mortgage for 3-6 months?

I would because there’s some money to be made for the weekend, but…unfortunately, grandma told me to stop doing things like this and just get a real job.

You laugh, but there are people in Augusta Georgia who don’t have a mortgage because of The Masters. Yes, totally different because of venue and town size, but big money is to be made. And who wants to deal with almost 600,000 new people coming in? I know traffic on mopac and 35 is smooth sailing everyday already but it may, it may be congested that weekend.

I would need a very thorough background check before Iturned my house over to a complete stranger on a party weekend.  This particular weekend might make me consider it if I still lived in Austin.

Shoot, that's some pretty good coin.  And normally I would be in Port A...  But hell I could strip the place down.  I have been some research on 30 day or more furnished rentals here in Austin and in the Belton area.  Seems like good coin and no dealing with hotel/motel taxes and registering with city if 30 days or longer.  But that price is only gonna go up between now and October.  

Hell - I don't know if it would pay for a couple months rent for a long weekend, but would be a good chunk towards a long weekend in NYC or maybe Key West. Damn now you got me really thinking about it.

I have Jawja Tix and will probably just drive in and leave after. I wanted to stay the night but the got dam Motel 6 was like $500 a night.

If Texas is undefeated, Tix might get sold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

I’d do it and watch the game on TV. It makes up for all the 11:00 and 2:30 games during August and September. Only Fng TV doesn’t realize Texas prior to 5:00 before October.

Hook’em!!!

Yeah, I have Co State and ULM... plotting a season...

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

A situation like this, do you have to pack up all your clothing and stuff ?

your wife’s panties and such ???

Asking for a friend, right?

Last thing i want is a bunch of GA fucktards and/or Eurotrash going through my shit. 

I am telling anyone I know coming in via air that they are better off flying home Tuesday vs dealing with ABIA shitshow on Monday 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a friend who used to own a cleaning company that took care of airbnbs.  I will not be renting my house out anytime soon after hearing stories of what they had to deal with.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have a friend who used to own a cleaning company that took care of airbnbs.  I will not be renting my house out anytime soon after hearing stories of what they had to deal with.

Yeah, you have to deal with some crazy shit. We sold our AirBnB last fall. It was in a great location (South Congress) and did well until 2023, when bookings fell off to mostly nil. AirBnB may be suffering a decline, plus the STR market was flooded by people who were unable to sell their homes, so they converted them to AirBnb's. Our nice, little one-bdrm couldn't compete with all the new 3 bdrm-with-pool homes on market. Here is the funniest story:

Our very first renter ever wanted to extend their check-out. We had another guest coming in the same day, so we needed them out on time. (Never made that mistake again of having new guest check-in on same day) I showed up to help. The girlfriend (who was pretty cute) was PISSED at me for not extending their check-out, and the boyfriend tried to make nice by inviting me to his tantric sex convention! (He was one of the speakers, haha) The next-door neighbor, who was a cool dude, was walking by just as the boyfriend was inviting me to the convention and I saw him laughing.

Later, the neighbor told me he was glad to hear that they into tantric sex, cause he said he didn't WTF was going on all day and night there. He heard, yelling, growling, screaming, etc 24-7. I guess that's part of tantric sex. He was frightened, haha. We had a good laugh. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Yeah, you have to deal with some crazy shit. We sold our AirBnB last fall. It was in a great location (South Congress) and did well until 2023, when bookings fell off to mostly nil. AirBnB may be suffering a decline, plus the STR market was flooded by people who were unable to sell their homes, so they converted them to AirBnb's. Our nice, little one-bdrm couldn't compete with all the new 3 bdrm-with-pool homes on market. Here is the funniest story:

Our very first renter ever wanted to extend their check-out. We had another guest coming in the same day, so we needed them out on time. (Never made that mistake again of having new guest check-in on same day) I showed up to help. The girlfriend (who was pretty cute) was PISSED at me for not extending their check-out, and the boyfriend tried to make nice by inviting me to his tantric sex convention! (He was one of the speakers, haha) The next-door neighbor, who was a cool dude, was walking by just as the boyfriend was inviting me to the convention and I saw him laughing.

Later, the neighbor told me he was glad to hear that they into tantric sex, cause he said he didn't WTF was going on all day and night there. He heard, yelling, growling, screaming, etc 24-7. I guess that's part of tantric sex. He was frightened, haha. We had a good laugh. 

Came here for this story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

How was the convention?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

How was the convention?

It's still going on, bro!  

We did this once at the outset of Formula 1, but before kids.  It was a pain in the ass to get everything locked up/moved/prepped.  Our house is quite close to downtown and Zilker (for ACL), so it fetched a handsome price.  But with kids, and unless you have a regular turn-key system, it's not worth it.  I did secretly look to see what we could get for this UGA/USGP weekend and it was extremely tempting, but I know the wife and kids would hate the idea.  

One of our neighbors custom built like a cabana-house/casita.  Of course he didn't ask for anybody'e permission, even on the building permit, let alone the STR notification because he's a fucking asshole.  But he did disclose, "We won't be renting it out during the school year while the kids are home...just during the June and July while the family is at camp/vacationing.  I thought, "Da Fuh?"  You just built that out at $200/ft. never mind the property tax increase which is insane in our neck of the woods because you think people will think, "Hey, it's 109* in Austin this July, the one month they have absolutely nothing fun happening or worth visiting for.  Let's jump on this $2,000/night VRBO for some reason."  They'll enjoy the casita with visiting family 'n shit during the rest of the year.  But his whole idea was to pay for the construction with STR money in months nobody is gonna wanna rent it.  I didn't ask any questions, again because he's a fucking asshole.  But to make small talk, I asked, "Well as long as they keep the music down, cool with me.  Welcome to the area.  Say, what do you do for a living?"  And he answered "homebuilder."  The one line of work that should know this is not a financially feasible idea, but this fucking simulation.  

Anyway, I would venture to guess based on the preliminary estimate I got for that weekend, anything between Mopac/Lake Austin, Barton Springs, IH-35, and 27th street is gonna fetch at least $1/ftSQ each night.  I mean, people that come in for F1 don't wanna actually stay all the fucking way out there.  A colleague, who is a big a Georgia fan as I know, rang me up to ask about why he couldn't find any reasonable hotel rates or STR rates for that weekend.  He had no idea about USGP taking place.  And this dude has the means to spend a lot, but people coming just don't get it.  This is like SxSW and ACL Music Festival taking place on the same day.  Landlord's market for sure.  Some people are gonna recoup their higher interest rate mortgage payments real fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

How was the convention?

NOT COOL. That's really offensive that you would imply that I attended a tantric sex convention. Why would you write that? I'M A HAPPILY MARRIED MAN. Jeez. Wow. I mean it's almost funny that you would even think that, cause that's not what I do, EVER.

I mean, I don't have any problem with people doing anything like that. A lot of people feel sexually frustrated in their marriage. But I'm not one of them. However, I understand that some older people (but not me) have problems performing sex. Their bodies change, and well, it gets...difficult and they feel...tired. At least that's what I heard.  

But I didn't go so take down your post, please. Did someone tell you I was there? Who did you talk to?    

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

NOT COOL. That's really offensive that you would imply that I attended a tantric sex convention. Why would you write that? I'M A HAPPILY MARRIED MAN. Jeez. Wow. I mean it's almost funny that you would even think that, cause that's not what I do, EVER.

I mean, I don't have any problem with people doing anything like that. A lot of people feel sexually frustrated in their marriage. But I'm not one of them. However, I understand that some older people (but not me) have problems performing sex. Their bodies change, and well, it gets...difficult and they feel...tired. At least that's what I heard.  

But I didn't go so take down your post, please. Did someone tell you I was there? Who did you talk to?    

This guy:

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWu6MMCWjPvR44epv63q4

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2024 at 4:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve had a lot of issues with AirBnB. Do the thread a favor and please use Vrbo so those AirBnB assholes will die a painful death. 

I've used AirBnB a half dozen times and never had a problem.

So we're about to embark on a major renovation of our house.  It'll basically be a gut-job.  And we were planning to start construction the first week of October.  But it suddenly occurs to me that this would be a fine way to make a few bucks just before construction actually commences.

And fuck yeah I'll just pocket that cleaning fee.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They don’t police fake listings, or remove scammers after they’ve been caught. Shit company that allows renters to list their residences. 

Vrbo is owners only. 

AirBnB was good at the start, gone wayyy downhill both in pricing and customer service. I’ll opt for a hotel 90% of the time these days unless certain circumstances (large groups) make a house more fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

AirBnB was good at the start, gone wayyy downhill both in pricing and customer service. I’ll opt for a hotel 90% of the time these days unless certain circumstances (large groups) make a house more fun.

Same.  When we go to a big safety show, I will get a 5 BR for the 5 of us and make sure it has a pool.  Other than those times its the Hampton Inn. 

14 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

15 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Same.  When we go to a big safety show, I will get a 5 BR for the 5 of us and make sure it has a pool.  Other than those times its the Hampton Inn. 

It's good for off-site/meetings because you don't have to shell out for meeting space and you can cook large meals there. I have found that Airbnb has kitchens that are woefully equipped for large dinners/actual cooking. While VRBO typically have at least good knives and a full set of pots and pans with place settings and silverware etc. 

If we aren't meeting outside the conference or cooking because we have dinners with customers hotels are significantly better and actually cheaper. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2024 at 12:34 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

They don’t police fake listings, or remove scammers after they’ve been caught. Shit company that allows renters to list their residences. 

Vrbo is owners only. 

My roommates and I rented out our bedrooms in west campus to people coming in for ACL. Made decent cash for a college kid but I didn’t want to know what horrific shit went on in my bedroom. We made sure to deep clean the shit out of that place.