Gladiator II

mdmost

Definitely in because Gladiator, but the trailer looks like pretty much the exact plot of the original, and I'm afraid that might bother me throughout. I assume this time it's known that he's the grandson of Marcus Aurelius and is targeted because whoever took the throne hated him too? I guess that could be a pretty significant difference. Either way, like I said, I'm in.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Definitely in because Gladiator, but the trailer looks like pretty much the exact plot of the original, and I'm afraid that might bother me throughout. I assume this time it's known that he's the grandson of Marcus Aurelius and is targeted because whoever took the throne hated him too? I guess that could be a pretty significant difference. Either way, like I said, I'm in.

well if you know the character names you can pretty much guess the plot as well.

14 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Denzel seams to be miscast here.  At least his American accent sounds weird.  

Looks stupid as hell.  Hollywood w/ zero new ideas, so lets remake a perfect movie, but add water.  I feel like ChefReactions right now:  1/10, will definitely watch.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I’ve never understood why Roman movies, for which I’m a general sucker, must have Brit accents. Two notable recent exceptions have been Centurion and The Eagle. Both average movies (I liked Centurion) but Fassbender and Tatum were surrounded by Brits or Celtic tribal accents. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’ve never understood why Roman movies, for which I’m a general sucker, must have Brit accents. Two notable recent exceptions have been Centurion and The Eagle. Both average movies (I liked Centurion) but Fassbender and Tatum were surrounded by Brits or Celtic tribal accents. 

You can thank HBO’s Rome for that, at least for the modern stuff.  And it still holds up after 20 years.

If it came out today, we would have had a lot more seasons.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

You can thank HBO’s Rome for that, at least for the modern stuff.  And it still holds up after 20 years.

Gladiator preceded it by 5 years. It’s not Rome. It’s been this way for some time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Love the water addition as that’s historically accurate and I’ve always found it fascinating 

I also like the historically accurate domesticated rhino.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I should finally watch Plebs, on Amazon Prime.  Could be funny or could be bad, but it’s British, so…

”Sitcom about three desperate young men from the suburbs who try to get laid, hold down jobs and climb the social ladder in the big city - which just happens to be ancient Rome.”

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I believe it was all the Shakespearean productions that led to the British accent. I had the same question when Rome came out. From what I gathered it was a combination of Shakespeare plays, Shakespearean actors and the accent having a certain gravitas compared to the American accent.

12 hours ago, Mittens said:

Looks stupid as hell.  Hollywood w/ zero new ideas, so lets remake a perfect movie, but add water.  I feel like ChefReactions right now:  1/10, will definitely watch.

I fucking love ChefReactions.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, F250 said:

I believe it was all the Shakespearean productions that led to the British accent. I had the same question when Rome came out. From what I gathered it was a combination of Shakespeare plays, Shakespearean actors and the accent having a certain gravitas compared to the American accent.

The American accent is jarring to listen to for non-Americans.

It's kind of like why Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice in the Terminator movies was dubbed by someone else in German markets.  He said because he's from a rural part of Austria his spoken German is like an "Austrian potato farmer" and no one would program a robot with that accent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Underdog said:

Caligula, the good version, >>> this shit. 

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Probably this then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius_(TV_series)

That was very influential on a lot of later stuff, including Gladiator and Rome.

11 hours ago, F250 said:

16 hours ago, F250 said:

I think so too, one of Shakespear's most popular works was Julius Caesar. 

• Hook 'Em 1