2025 NBA Draft - Gag for Flagg

Cooper Flagg was apparently beyond impressive in Team USA scrimmages.  Unlike 2024, this is a deep, deep draft and there's even a small possibility that Flagg isn't the first guy selected.

For a decent portion of the league, the 2025 season is going to be a race to the bottom, the likes of which we haven't seen since all the way back in 2023. It looks like we will have probably 8 teams (6 of them in the East) actively not trying to win. And Flagg isn't the only prize here.

Looking at the potential tankers, I have Brooklyn and Washington at a tie for 1st (last) place playing completely abhorrent basketball. Both these teams are relatively new to the tank and will embrace it with extreme gusto. It's going to be ugly.

In the next tier, I've got Detroit and Portland. Both have put together some solid tanking the last few years, but don't have much to show for it. They should both still be terrible.

In the third tier, I have Chicago, Toronto, and Charlotte. They all have some decent young roster talent that will fuck around and accidentally win some games. Nothing would be more hilarious than Chicago finally embracing the tank only to have Zach Lavine come back to play 82 games at an all-star level, them still not being able to move his contract, and the Bulls getting back into the play in.

And finally, I have Utah. They need to pick a lane and embrace the tank, but they can't fully do it without unloading Markkanen and they aren't going to give him up for nothing. 

The West is so loaded that there are going to be some competitive teams that get pushed into the lottery. The Spurs won't be outright tanking unless Wemby misses some significant time, but even a 15 game improvement only gets them to 37 wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

The bottom feeders:

30. Detroit
29. Washington
28. Portland
27. Brooklyn
26. Charlotte
25. Chicago

Hello lottery:

24. Toronto
23. Spurs
22. Jazz
21. Hawks
20. Clippers

Play-in fighters:

19. Heat
18. Warriors
17. Lakers
16. Rockets
15. Pelicans
14. Pacers

Playoffs or bust:

13. Magic
12. Kings
11. Memphis
10. Cavs
9. Suns
8. Bucks

Contenders:

7. Wolves
6. Dallas
5. New York
4. Denver
3. Sixers
2. OKC
1. Boston

31 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the Flagg hype?

Eh. I have never really seen the kid play but it's just what the media does. He seems pretty damn good. I'm with you though, there hasn't been a high school player with this much hype pan out in awhile.

Zion was the last one who was a big deal and a success at Duke but we've yet to see him live up to NBA hype.

58 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Eh. I have never really seen the kid play but it's just what the media does. He seems pretty damn good. I'm with you though, there hasn't been a high school player with this much hype pan out in awhile.

Zion was the last one who was a big deal and a success at Duke but we've yet to see him live up to NBA hype.

chet was the most recent american hs kid with hype like this and he’s definitely lived up to the hype.

10 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't remember Zion being as hyped as Flagg out of high school. If memory serves me right Zion wasn't even the #1 player in his class. HIs actual play at Duke is really what got the hype train rolling. In fact I think Between him, Barrett, and Reddish, Zion may have been the lowest ranked. 

20 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't remember Zion being as hyped as Flagg out of high school. If memory serves me right Zion wasn't even the #1 player in his class. HIs actual play at Duke is really what got the hype train rolling. In fact I think Between him, Barrett, and Reddish, Zion may have been the lowest ranked. 

Williamson was a #1 recruit and ESPN televised his commitment. I just remember the videos of him making those poor high school kids look so hopeless.

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Williamson was a #1 recruit and ESPN televised his commitment. I just remember the videos of him making those poor high school kids look so hopeless.

Flagg is the consensus #1 recruit among all services. 

Williamson was 5th in the composite rankings in 2018, so no,  he wasn't near as hyped as Flagg irrespective of where he was ranked with ESPN.

image.thumb.png.3cc76d3c95df275a4d28a70324177e80.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Williamson was 5th in the composite rankings in 2018, so no,  he wasn't near as hyped as Flagg irrespective of where he was ranked with ESPN.

The thing with Zion is that he got 3X more youtube/social media hype due to all of his highlight reel dunks. The recruiting analysts might have liked those other guys better, but I guarantee you that Zion was better known to the  casual  college basketball fan than all the others. Nobody was watching Nassir Little or Bol Bol highlights on youtube.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

In Vecenie's lastest pod, he mentioned that Ben Saraf, a 6'5 Israeli point guard, lit up the U-18s recently was the best player in that tournament, which included Nolan Traore. He's doing a deep dive on Saraf soon, but it seems like this guy is now a likely lotto pick at the very least 

He did a deep dive on Traore in the episode, and said that while Traore is an obvious top five ish type in a typical draft, he has him squarely below Flagg, Edgecombe, and Harper (unclear if Ace Bailey was an accidental omission) 

On 8/5/2024 at 10:35 AM, Fud said:

In Vecenie's lastest pod, he mentioned that Ben Saraf, a 6'5 Israeli point guard, lit up the U-18s recently was the best player in that tournament, which included Nolan Traore. He's doing a deep dive on Saraf soon, but it seems like this guy is now a likely lotto pick at the very least 

He did a deep dive on Traore in the episode, and said that while Traore is an obvious top five ish type in a typical draft, he has him squarely below Flagg, Edgecombe, and Harper (unclear if Ace Bailey was an accidental omission) 

I haven’t seen Saraf but Traore is niiiiice. I need to check him out. I watched some of Edgecombe in Olympic qualifying play and he’s really really impressive as well. This class is freaking loaded. There will probably be 5-6 guys who would’ve been the first overall pick in the 2024 draft. 

• 2 weeks later...