Your favorite artist

jimmyjazz

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I heard a Zep tune on FM radio in the car yesterday, and while I've always thought Jimmy Page might actually be the "least talented" musician in that band, one can't deny his phenomenal creativity.  Those riffs just would never have flowed from anyone else's hands.  Imagine Plant/Bonham/Jones with, say Eric Clapton.  Completely different band.  Probably a very good band, but nothing like Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, he's a little sloppy.  It's charming.  Even Robert Plant credits Page as being the band's indisputable creative force.

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I always thought the sloppiness was a creative choice. Like the weird chords of Larry Lelonde or Mike Anthony playing the most boring basslines ever, they can actually play if they wanted to, but the style demanded something else.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, there's times I think "come on, Jimmy, that was a mess".  But the swagger . . .

I think Rimbo is closer to the truth here.  There was a time not too long ago when many, if not most, jazz critics believed Thelonius Monk was a sloppy player.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, there's times I think "come on, Jimmy, that was a mess".  But the swagger . . .

I believe its this.

*Mainly because I choose to believe my own sloppiness is a swaggering "choice."  

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I rotate, but this is my current favorite:

Thanks for posting that . . . that makes at least 3 bands I've never heard of posted on this thread.  None are going to jump into my top 5 of all time but I'm glad to hear all the different perspectives.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2024 at 7:48 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Since they haven't been mentioned, I would have to say Beastie Boys.

Image result for beastie boys

+1. 

I appreciate listening to their transition from drunk teens, to experimental young adults, and on to grown men with kids. Their documentary on Apple+ is fantastic.

RIP MCA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks for posting that . . . that makes at least 3 bands I've never heard of posted on this thread.  None are going to jump into my top 5 of all time but I'm glad to hear all the different perspectives.

From Austin too.  Doing 3 shows in Dallas, Houston and Austin first 6 days of October. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Too many bands to list, but the most seminal to my early wiring was probably the Velvet Underground. Picking up my first album White Light White Heat from The Record Gallery in Dallas was amazing. Then it was their self titled first album & Nico and I was hooked.  VU could drop out of the sky today and still sound different than anything out there.  From here, it was off to David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Jesus and Mary Chain and local, live music.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jetsfan76 said:

Spiritbox. First time I heard them, I just knew. Even their "bad" songs are light years better than most stuff I listen to. They also don't pigeonhole themselves into any one genre of metal. And Courtney's voice gives me goosebumps.

Mike has some god-tier riffs. Love his playing.

You probably know this, but I guarantee nobody else on this board knows this - Spiritbox was up for grammy in heavy metal. However, they were up against some serious dinosaurs like Metallica & Disturbed. Obviously Metallica won because they're the only metal band that the Grammy voters had ever heard of. The actual Metallica song that won was terrible, one of the worst of their career. The Grammy is like a lifetime achievement award I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1