2024 Volleyball: SEC, here comes Daddy

Js1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would love to see some sec fans talking about how the 2x defending champs will struggle with the tough sec schedule. 

From what I've seen, except for aggy, SEC fans aren't really trash talking Texas coming in and owning the SEC.  They know we will be top dog.  Most of them are actually grateful that we will force their programs to upgrade in order to compete.  Texas will be coming in with a standard for the SEC that only UK managed to do a few years ago. 

Sort of how Gasso's run at OU forced Texas to be better at softball, they know Elliot and Texas VB will force them to look at their programs and find a way to be better.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

They don’t play volleyball or softball. They suppose to be SEC

Not super unusual. OKST doesn’t play volleyball. TCU, WV and KST don’t play softball. Clemson didn’t softball until a couple years ago. ISU and CU don’t play baseball 

Good to see the sport growing 

Madison Skinner gonna eat. Good lord, we coming for that three peat! Emma Halter mmmmm. Ella Swindle...got damn. 

Who are the next up to be stars? I don't follow VB recruiting because I can't really find sources. Any help would be appreciated. Did we get another #1-10 recruit(s)?

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Appreciate you. Are they all top 25 players? I know Anderson is (I believe she's #1, correct?). 

Yes. We have a few outside the top 25, like Gaido, but the star power isn’t going to stop rolling through Austin anytime soon 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 1:36 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

Anything on VB recruiting? Would love to see how we stack up against other powers in recruiting. 

Also, thank you for this site. I'll be a frequent visitor now lol 

Invariably Texas stacks up well in recruiting year after year with pretty much anyone. I'd say the three recruiting superpowers in years past were Stanford, Nebraska, and Texas. Stanford is often hard to gauge because they can't/won't accept commitments until admissions says they're accepted to the school, which doesn't happen until late in the process. It's also tough to be completely clear on if they lost a recruit because of academics or something else. In the past, though, if they wanted a player and the player could qualify academically, they pretty much got them. Not sure how true that's been over the last two recruiting cycles, so we'll see what happens in the future.

Nebraska and Texas are 1A and 1B in that order. Nebraska tends to make their choices quickly. They rarely extend their recruiting efforts past the summer. If a player wants to wait and take visits, often they'll just go on to their next target, which puts a lot of pressure on kids if they do get an offer. For about 3 years there they didn't really lose any recruiting battles. Ayden Ames switching to Texas was one of the first ones in three years they lost on. Last year they beat Texas on Campbell Flynn, but Texas beat them on Macari Spears and Taylor Harvey, although Nebraska was pretty much on the outside for both of those players, even though both of them visited the Nebraska campus. Taylor Harvey was even there for their big record setting volleyball match in the football stadium.

Outside of that there's another tier of recruiting, probably led by Wisconsin. Wisconsin doesn't really beat Texas or Nebraska for recruits, but they rarely lose to anyone else. Pitt arguably has the best class this cycle, and they're certainly part of that 2nd tier. Louisville is recruiting better than they have in the past, and their past recruiting led to a couple of Final Fours and the championship match appearance against Texas. Minnesota used to put together highly rated classes but have fallen off the pace a bit. USC has a really good class. 

If you're not Nebraska, it's pretty tough to beat Texas on the recruiting trail right now. Macari Spears and Abby Vander Wal could make a case for the #1 player in the country. They're both left pins. Henley Anderson this year is in that same kind of category. Taylor Harvey was the highest rated middle in her class (although I wish we'd been able to grab Favor Anyanwu - she's going to be a beast of a middle for the Trojans). Genevieve Harris is widely regarded as the best setting in her class. Texas had several good liberos at their elite camp this year, and chose to offer Cugino among them, so whether she ends up being the best or not, they're getting their first choice. 

It's tough to find issues with Texas volleyball recruiting right now. We're pretty much the 800lb gorilla in that arena. And now the NCAA is going to add 6 more scholarships to the roster, going from 12 to 18 (which makes me very happy - no more 2+2 and 1+3 deals for players to walk on in the hopes of being offered a scholarship later down the track). There are no guarantees regarding future success, and it will be tough to replicate back to back championships, but they're well positioned to be Final Four threats for the foreseeable future, that's for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Invariably Texas stacks up well in recruiting year after year with pretty much anyone. I'd say the three recruiting superpowers in years past were Stanford, Nebraska, and Texas. Stanford is often hard to gauge because they can't/won't accept commitments until admissions says they're accepted to the school, which doesn't happen until late in the process. It's also tough to be completely clear on if they lost a recruit because of academics or something else. In the past, though, if they wanted a player and the player could qualify academically, they pretty much got them. Not sure how true that's been over the last two recruiting cycles, so we'll see what happens in the future.

Nebraska and Texas are 1A and 1B in that order. Nebraska tends to make their choices quickly. They rarely extend their recruiting efforts past the summer. If a player wants to wait and take visits, often they'll just go on to their next target, which puts a lot of pressure on kids if they do get an offer. For about 3 years there they didn't really lose any recruiting battles. Ayden Ames switching to Texas was one of the first ones in three years they lost on. Last year they beat Texas on Campbell Flynn, but Texas beat them on Macari Spears and Taylor Harvey, although Nebraska was pretty much on the outside for both of those players, even though both of them visited the Nebraska campus. Taylor Harvey was even there for their big record setting volleyball match in the football stadium.

Outside of that there's another tier of recruiting, probably led by Wisconsin. Wisconsin doesn't really beat Texas or Nebraska for recruits, but they rarely lose to anyone else. Pitt arguably has the best class this cycle, and they're certainly part of that 2nd tier. Louisville is recruiting better than they have in the past, and their past recruiting led to a couple of Final Fours and the championship match appearance against Texas. Minnesota used to put together highly rated classes but have fallen off the pace a bit. USC has a really good class. 

If you're not Nebraska, it's pretty tough to beat Texas on the recruiting trail right now. Macari Spears and Abby Vander Wal could make a case for the #1 player in the country. They're both left pins. Henley Anderson this year is in that same kind of category. Taylor Harvey was the highest rated middle in her class (although I wish we'd been able to grab Favor Anyanwu - she's going to be a beast of a middle for the Trojans). Genevieve Harris is widely regarded as the best setting in her class. Texas had several good liberos at their elite camp this year, and chose to offer Cugino among them, so whether she ends up being the best or not, they're getting their first choice. 

It's tough to find issues with Texas volleyball recruiting right now. We're pretty much the 800lb gorilla in that arena. And now the NCAA is going to add 6 more scholarships to the roster, going from 12 to 18 (which makes me very happy - no more 2+2 and 1+3 deals for players to walk on in the hopes of being offered a scholarship later down the track). There are no guarantees regarding future success, and it will be tough to replicate back to back championships, but they're well positioned to be Final Four threats for the foreseeable future, that's for sure. 

Thank you for breaking this down for me. I knew Nebraska and Texas were the top dogs, and I knew Wisconsin was a good one, but had no idea Pitt or Louisville were getting there; same with USC. I remember when Minny were at the top of their game. Sucks they've fallen off.  I'd like to know who's getting the #1 classes each year so I can see how well Elliott is spotting talent, and what recruits we get that would be considered 5 stars compared to our main competition, Neb.

Seeing as we are returning a lot, but also losing Asjia and a few others how well we're set up to make a three-peat. If anyone can do it, I think Jerritt Elliott and Texas can. We completely emasculated Neb and set the tone for who runs the tourney. I'd like to see that happen again. 

Your thoughts? Again, thank you for your breakdown 

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

To be clear, if Elliott finds someone at a key point in the cycle that he has to have, and that recruit or transfer is interested in Texas, Nebraska nor anyone else is relevant at that point. He’s not allowed to just say that about anyone though. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, if Elliott finds someone at a key point in the cycle that he has to have, and that recruit or transfer is interested in Texas, Nebraska nor anyone else is relevant at that point. He’s not allowed to just say that about anyone though. 

Nebraska has a war chest of about $750,000+ a year in dedicated volleyball funds they can spend in NIL money, with $500,000 coming from a mall developer that's committed over the next 10 years. That's without asking for any one offs from wealthy donors. That's in addition to a stronger local NIL because Nebraska volleyball endorsements mean more from a commercial standpoint in Nebraska than they do in Austin. It's not nothing in Austin, and certainly Texas dwarfs anyone else, but no one is writing a $500,000 check every year for the Texas volleyball NIL program. We lost to Nebraska on Kaitlyn Hord two years ago. We lost to Nebraska on Leyla Blackwell this year even though Texas had a much bigger need at middle blocker. Nebraska stole Taylor Landfair right from under Wisconsin at the last second even though Wisconsin had the bigger need at left pin. 

We're still beating Nebraska on the recruiting trail, and we've put together better rosters. We're also getting a steady stream of former Nebraska players in Kaylei Akana, Kayla Caffey, and now Whitney Lauenstein, all of whom have varying degrees of antipathy toward the Nebraska staff. Plus Ayden Ames, a high school recruit who switched extremely late in the process, putting Nebraska in a bit of a bind in a sport where no one really flips. Ever. 

If what you said was true Leyla Blackwell would be on the Texas roster. This team has no experience at the middle blocker position. Talent, yes. Experience, no. Depth? Non existent with Nya Bunton's mysterious injury (she did play some in the spring). Nebraska on the other hand has two veterans at the middle blocker position who are going to be almost impossible for Blackwell to unseat as a starter. Yet she picks Nebraska for her last year. 

There is no one in volleyball who is relevant when it comes to NIL compared to Texas other than Nebraska. But Nebraska has more resources invested in their volleyball program than Texas does, both from an athletic department standpoint and from an NIL standpoint. They also have more of their collective identity invested in the sport. Doesn't matter. We're the ones with back to back national championships, including arguably the most one sided butt whooping in a national title game in the history of the sport. Certainly in the rally scoring era. But right now Nebraska is going to tend to get their first pick of talent out of the transfer portal, and then Texas will get first pick of the rest. At least when it comes to NIL spending. 

• Hook 'Em 2

One thing I’ll miss about LHN is having ability to watch majority of volleyball games.  Sorry if already covered but what will our ability to watch these games be now?  Doubt SEC network will cover Horns as much as LHN but hopeful something else replaces???

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

One thing I’ll miss about LHN is having ability to watch majority of volleyball games.  Sorry if already covered but what will our ability to watch these games be now?  Doubt SEC network will cover Horns as much as LHN but hopeful something else replaces???

SEC Network, ESPN networks, SECN+ via ESPN App

• Hook 'Em 3

Nebraska's Harper Murray was sentenced Monday for a driving under the influence charge from an April incident in Lincoln.

The rising sophomore will spend nine months on probation and was also sentenced to a $500 fine. Her driver's license has also been revoked for 60 days, and will later have an ignition interlock device.

On April 5, Murray's reported blood alcohol content level was 0.169, or more than twice the legal limit. She was pulled over by Lincoln Police for multiple traffic violations, and also had a fake ID.

Murray is also on a diversion program for a separate case after she was accused of stealing rings from the Lincoln Scheels store.

Murray had been previously suspended from the Nebraska Volleyball Spring Match at the University of Nebraska-Kearney earlier this year. Coach John Cook told the Lincoln Journal Star that Murray would not face further suspensions for the upcoming season. 

Former Shag poster saw her at the probation office today. 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2024 at 5:11 PM, Js1 said:

Ames who is a freshman

Macaria Spears and Vander Wal and Harvey in 2025

Anderson in 2026 

The problem for other schools is that the state of Texas has so much talent. All Texas needed to do is win one title and they would get the pick of the state and let everyone else fight over the scraps. Then we get the kids who are at quality programs but wanna come home to Texas to finish out their careers. The 26's are a pretty interesting group. My kid's region is chock full of talent. Henley Anderson, Jayden Robinson(Nebraska), and (Halle Thompson)Wisky are not only all kids we play club ball against, but that we see regularly in school ball too. Most schools can only take 3 a cycle, but I have a feeling that at least one of those other two will end up playing for burnt orange when its all said and done.

For those in the Houston area Ridge Point has crazy vball talent. Not only is Reagan Rutherford from there, but Jayden Robinson(Wisconsin), Shaun Rogers kid Kennedi Rogers(SMU), Texans DT Wade Smith's daughter Aaliyah Smith(Rice), her older sister Alissa who went there is at Miss St, Taylor Johnson(Iowa State), not to mention other kids headed to smaller D1 schools. How they don't win state every year is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The problem for other schools is that the state of Texas has so much talent. All Texas needed to do is win one title and they would get the pick of the state and let everyone else fight over the scraps. Then we get the kids who are at quality programs but wanna come home to Texas to finish out their careers. The 26's are a pretty interesting group. My kid's region is chock full of talent. Henley Anderson, Jayden Robinson(Nebraska), and (Halle Thompson)Wisky are not only all kids we play club ball against, but that we see regularly in school ball too. Most schools can only take 3 a cycle, but I have a feeling that at least one of those other two will end up playing for burnt orange when its all said and done.

For those in the Houston area Ridge Point has crazy vball talent. Not only is Reagan Rutherford from there, but Jayden Robinson(Wisconsin), Shaun Rogers kid Kennedi Rogers(SMU), Texans DT Wade Smith's daughter Aaliyah Smith(Rice), her older sister Alissa who went there is at Miss St, Taylor Johnson(Iowa State), not to mention other kids headed to smaller D1 schools. How they don't win state every year is beyond me.

If you're going to mention Reagan Rutherford from Ridge Point, you should probably mention Skylar Fields. 

I went to see Rice play USC in Tudor Fieldhouse last year, and Ridge Point followers made up a significant part of the crowd. They had a group of 50 or so students, plus all the adults in the crowd there to cheer on Fields and Smith. 

I'll also say Texas was owning the state in recruiting before the last two titles. Just can't get everyone. A&M is going to be tough to beat in the near term for Houston Skyline kids. Jamie Morrison went all in to build ties there, including hiring their founder/director as an assistant. 

The combination of facilities, academics (yes, that can still be of importance - at the very least in terms of rationalizing the decision you want to make anyway), the city of Austin, winning, NIL, the culture Elliott has built, means Texas simply doesn't lose many recruiting battles unless it's against Nebraska. Sometimes depth chart can be an issue but even that is less of a factor than you'd think. 

BTW, two of the three 2026 scholarships are going to out of state players. Cugino is a libero/DS out of Ohio, and Harris is a setter out of North Carolina. Vander Wal from 2025 is from Illinois. Both Ayden Ames and Macari Spears moved around a bunch and their parents have close ties to out of state schools. It's not as simple as a lot of these girls are native Texans. But there is a close to home factor, for sure. Mostly it's just that Texas is an extremely compelling volleyball product, and Elliott has always been a fantastic recruiter. Bring back Jim Moore as coach and we'd see how much good those Texas ties do in recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2024 at 2:34 AM, SL Xpress said:

If you're going to mention Reagan Rutherford from Ridge Point, you should probably mention Skylar Fields. 

I went to see Rice play USC in Tudor Fieldhouse last year, and Ridge Point followers made up a significant part of the crowd. They had a group of 50 or so students, plus all the adults in the crowd there to cheer on Fields and Smith. 

I'll also say Texas was owning the state in recruiting before the last two titles. Just can't get everyone. A&M is going to be tough to beat in the near term for Houston Skyline kids. Jamie Morrison went all in to build ties there, including hiring their founder/director as an assistant. 

The combination of facilities, academics (yes, that can still be of importance - at the very least in terms of rationalizing the decision you want to make anyway), the city of Austin, winning, NIL, the culture Elliott has built, means Texas simply doesn't lose many recruiting battles unless it's against Nebraska. Sometimes depth chart can be an issue but even that is less of a factor than you'd think. 

BTW, two of the three 2026 scholarships are going to out of state players. Cugino is a libero/DS out of Ohio, and Harris is a setter out of North Carolina. Vander Wal from 2025 is from Illinois. Both Ayden Ames and Macari Spears moved around a bunch and their parents have close ties to out of state schools. It's not as simple as a lot of these girls are native Texans. But there is a close to home factor, for sure. Mostly it's just that Texas is an extremely compelling volleyball product, and Elliott has always been a fantastic recruiter. Bring back Jim Moore as coach and we'd see how much good those Texas ties do in recruiting. 

I forgot about Fields. 

We played against Cugino. In my opinion she is alright, but she plays for Mintonette so you know how that goes. The problem is defensive players all look the same. So you really have to sit down and watch them play. From the inside what we've realized is that these recruiters are lazy and disorganized. For example, my daughter is being recruited by a school on the West Coast. The assistant in charge of recruiting calls and sets up a zoom call. Then the coach calls to set up a call not knowing the assistant already set up the zoom call. At that point my daughter is looking at them sideways.  Liberos and DS are usually the last to get recruited. So Texas grabbing a libero in the 26 cycle a month after June 15th seems like old Elliott when he was lazy with his defensive recruits. I don't remember anything special when we played them. We lost(they are a good team) but my kid was putting balls down like she normally does. Now we've been playing Anderson for years, and you remember when you play against her. Skilled kid for her size for sure.

Edited by Thatguy

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Free exhibition versus UTSA on August 17 at 1pm at Gregory

Maybe in lieu of Orange and White

Maybe. My guess is they'll do both. There are a lot of players on the team. It would be pretty easy to put together a scrimmage with the team. It seems dumb not to do that in front of an audience if they have the opportunity, which they do. But they haven't announced one yet, so maybe not. I just can't remember a season where they didn't have an orange and white scrimmage, so it's hard for me to fathom they won't do one again this year. 

They also scrimmaged UTSA in the spring. That was pretty funny. The UTSA students came out in force for that one. 

1 hour ago, Hornsbay22 said:

When did Madi's sister get so damn good?   She wasn't any where near this at Baylor from what I remember. 

That was my feeling when she made the national team. 

"Where is Yossiana Pressley? How is Avery Skinner the star professional from that Baylor team?"

But this isn't something new. She's provided a spark numerous times, even while the US team as a whole has been disappointing in international competition. For one thing, it shows the extreme importance of being able to defend in 6 rotations when substitutions are so limited. Pressley couldn't do that. It's also Eggleston's current limitation. 

But yeah. I'm with you. I didn't see this coming at all. 

On 7/25/2024 at 10:20 PM, Hornbeliever said:

I was just thinking about this - My daughters and I would watch all the time now I don't really know where to see coverage. I know the Longhorn Network online has some old games, etc on demand, etc. 

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

I was just thinking about this - My daughters and I would watch all the time now I don't really know where to see coverage. I know the Longhorn Network online has some old games, etc on demand, etc. 

Games should be shown on ESPN+…

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Hope CDC is working on this….with our facilities….why not!

Working on....what? I assume it's exactly like it was in the Big 12.  ESPN will decide what they want to air on SECN/ESPN/2/U and the rest get kicked to streaming.  As of today, SEC and ESPN have not announced what matches they are going to air.

Last year, they released it on August 15: https://www.secsports.com/news/2023/08/sec-network-unveils-2023-sec-soccer-volleyball-slates

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Working on....what? I assume it's exactly like it was in the Big 12.  ESPN will decide what they want to air on SECN/ESPN/2/U and the rest get kicked to streaming.  As of today, SEC and ESPN have not announced what matches they are going to air.

Last year, they released it on August 15: https://www.secsports.com/news/2023/08/sec-network-unveils-2023-sec-soccer-volleyball-slates

As a LHN fan, with the previous ability to watch all the home basketball, baseball, and volleyball games, I’m just hoping we will be able to watch all these games, now that we are in the new conference.  My understanding that SECN, along with ESPN, 2, would carry these games along with ESPN+…I don’t mind streaming as long as they are all available.  Guess I’m hoping with Texas and OU coming into the league, the SECN would expand its coverages.  I’m sure all schools want all of their games televised, so I was hoping our folks would get their two cents worth in about ensuring this happens.  I don’t know what their plans are….will be interesting to see.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

As a LHN fan, with the previous ability to watch all the home basketball, baseball, and volleyball games, I’m just hoping we will be able to watch all these games, now that we are in the new conference.  My understanding that SECN, along with ESPN, 2, would carry these games along with ESPN+…I don’t mind streaming as long as they are all available.  Guess I’m hoping with Texas and OU coming into the league, the SECN would expand its coverages.  I’m sure all schools want all of their games televised, so I was hoping our folks would get their two cents worth in about ensuring this happens.  I don’t know what their plans are….will be interesting to see.

I know, I’ll miss LHN. I assume it’ll be an equitable coverage between schools and the rest go to streaming. They don’t call it ESPN+, they call it SECN+ (on the ESPN App)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Madi Skinner needs to join her sis on the 2028 Olympic squad in Los Angeles. 

Truth. Some of team USA’s outsides are going to age out soon. They’re getting old. We also need the Slide Queen in 2028! I feel like I’ve seen no slide plays run for the MBs 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I guess ESPN didn’t need or got tired of Shelby Coppedge with no LHN to call volleyball. She’s on the NFL Network doing sideline for this Texans game 

I'd also say doing sideline reporting for the NFL is a career step up. She called volleyball a bunch for teams other than Texas. I wouldn't say she was universally liked on volleytalk, but it's a tough crowd. The key to her career path isn't necessarily insightful commentary anyway. It's being a hot chick who is passionate about sports and can be minimally articulate about them. 

I would be a little surprised if she didn't do any volleyball this fall. But if she has a choice between a volleyball match and being a sideline reporter for an NFL game, she'd be dumb not to choose the NFL game. 

By the way, they had a media event today with the team. Apparently it's burnt orange carpet premiere as the theme, with the players posing as Hollywood type stars walking the burnt orange carpet in glamorous outfits. Instagram has a reel featuring both Skinner and Swindle.

• Hook 'Em 1