2024 Volleyball: SEC, here comes Daddy

Js1

I’m wondering if Akana played Madi’s 3 back row rotations yesterday because it was against Hawaii, her home state school.  Taking away the BIC and Madi’s serve is kind of an odd move.

I said I would have had Akana DS for Jenna instead but Jenna was the best passer last night per the passing numbers. Like a 2.4

I'd like to think that Akana was being subbed for Madi so that Kaylei could play in front of her family, but the times Madi was passing in serve-receive, she was shanking balls. Plus, Madi's serve has gotten away from her recently, which I think is why Akana was serving for her. 

Madi played 6 rotations at Baylor and was subbed out only at the end of sets 2 and 3 for Akana's serve and ball control, so maybe they were just giving Madi a break for this match.

I think Jenna is actually thriving in the 6-2. She can focus on serve-receive and back-row defense without having the pressure to produce offensively....although she and Devin are showing that they can put the ball down with Averi's good setting. 

Averi's setting location and tempo to the left pin have really improved, giving Jenna a lot of 1-on-1s. She's also giving Devin the sets she needs to terminate on the right. They had 15 and 12 kills, respectively, while hitting over .400 for the match.

Swindle OTOH is just so inconsistent, and Madi and Reagan are having to adjust way too much. They are still finding ways to get their kills but Ella is just making it so much harder for them. 

Blocking in the middle is going to be an ongoing issue, especially with Mari getting faked out so much and both being late to close the block especially during in-system plays. I'm sure we'll see improvement, but it's just frustrating seeing them struggle with the same plays.

With only one day to practice between Baylor and Hawaii, it seems the focus was on improving the offense, and they hit .455 for the match.

Aggie is up next and they play Wisconsin tonight, so the staff should have a good scouting report on them and a week to make some improvements.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Some good matches tonight - Texas awaits its SEC opener Friday night at aggy (6:30, SECN+)

PSU @ Purdue - 6pm B1G Network

FSU @ Miami - 5pm ACCN 

Minnesota @ Wisconsin - 8pm B1G Network

Plus 2 SEC matches tonight:

Bama @ Tenn - 6pm SECN

Georgia @ Arky - 8pm SECN

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

Some good matches tonight - Texas awaits its SEC opener Friday night at aggy (6:30, SECN+)

PSU @ Purdue - 6pm B1G Network

FSU @ Miami - 5pm ACCN 

Minnesota @ Wisconsin - 8pm B1G Network

Plus 2 SEC matches tonight:

Bama @ Tenn - 6pm SECN

Georgia @ Arky - 8pm SECN

PSU Sweep

FSU in 5

Minny in 5

Tenn in 5

Arky in 5

i couldn't make it through the terrible camera work against hawaii.  bailed halfway through the second set.  but from that and the baylor game i've been impressed with jenna's back row play.  is her passing rater for those two games better than madi?

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i couldn't make it through the terrible camera work against hawaii.  bailed halfway through the second set.  but from that and the baylor game i've been impressed with jenna's back row play.  is her passing rater for those two games better than madi?

Yes. She’s our second best passer behind Emma right now. That’s why Madi is being subbed out for Akana