2024 Volleyball: SEC, here comes Daddy

Js1

On 8/2/2024 at 3:03 PM, SL Xpress said:

Maybe. My guess is they'll do both. There are a lot of players on the team. It would be pretty easy to put together a scrimmage with the team. It seems dumb not to do that in front of an audience if they have the opportunity, which they do. But they haven't announced one yet, so maybe not. I just can't remember a season where they didn't have an orange and white scrimmage, so it's hard for me to fathom they won't do one again this year. 

They also scrimmaged UTSA in the spring. That was pretty funny. The UTSA students came out in force for that one. 

They are going to do both Orange/White and UTSA scrimmage.

• Hook 'Em 2

In case anyone curious on SEC+ given the above (i hadn’t used it before)

https://www.secsports.com/news/2022/05/about-sec-networksec-network-1

Q: What is the difference between SEC Network and SEC Network+? 

A: SEC Network is a live 24-hour television network. SEC Network+ is a complementary digital platform providing hundreds of additional digital only events to fans through the ESPN App on connected devices. SEC Network+ is not a television channel. Q: How many SEC games will be on ESPN+

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You access it via the ESPN app or website. Need to have a cable subscription with SECN or have ESPN+

Does this mean all of Texas' games will likely be on the SEC+, instead of ESPN+?  Given that it is all digital, it would seem like there would be no reason a Texas home or conference game would ever be on ESPN+, right?

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

Does this mean all of Texas' games will likely be on the SEC+, instead of ESPN+?  Given that it is all digital, it would seem like there would be no reason a Texas home or conference game would ever be on ESPN+, right?

Should not be. That’s the benefit of a conference network. 

Just now, Mittens said:

From what I can tell, if you pay for ESPN+, the SECN+ games will be there as well.  Is that accurate?

Yes. Or if you have a cable subscription with SECN, you get SECN+ as well 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

I didn't notice until now how front loaded of a conference schedule this is.

Tennessee was obviously good last year. We barely escaped in Palo Alto in the Sweet 16 before the team entered Super Saiyan mode. But they lost a LOT. They still have their great setter returning, and they have a decent transfer, but there's no way they'll be as good as they were last year. 

Auburn is always overrated. Oklahoma has a while before they're any good. Alabama is on ESPN for some reason. I guess people are going to be excited to see a 3 set sweep in Tuscaloosa.

After Florida and Kentucky, I feel confident the next best team is going to be Georgia. Arkansas lost everyone. I like what Missouri is doing, so we'll see what kind of team they field. A&M is recruiting better with their Skyline connections, and Reed will be the madhouse it always is when Texas comes to town (then crickets chirping for most of their other matches). 

The good news is that there's only 16 conference matches, which will help for RPI purposes. There's always the chance of an Iowa State or Kansas State type loss the team had in conference the last two years, but honestly the last month of the season there's not much in the way of high level competition. I can't say I'm concerned. I think it's more for an entertainment factor. Also, I just didn't notice it before. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

On 8/15/2024 at 2:49 PM, Js1 said:

Should not be. That’s the benefit of a conference network. 

Yes. Or if you have a cable subscription with SECN, you get SECN+ as well 

On 8/15/2024 at 2:49 PM, Mittens said:

From what I can tell, if you pay for ESPN+, the SECN+ games will be there as well.  Is that accurate?

It’s on Hulu+ too

Ill be honest, im straight tired of this sec bullshit that "were the best in every athletic sport " nonsense. I figured I wouldn't give a shit , but it is already tiresome. only thing to know about show is Kentucky has won 7 straight vball titles and it'll be sweet when we Destroy them and end their streak. Excited Daniel Cormier GIF by UFC

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

No surprise - preseason #1

Nebraska #2
Wisconsin #3
Pitt #4
Stanford #5

Kentucky #9
Florida #11
Tennessee #15
Minnesota #18
Arkansas #19
Baylor #23
Georgia #25

Auburn, Houston, Missouri, Hawaii, Indiana, Miami all RV

Our entire non-conf slate is either ranked or receiving votes.  7 schools on our SEC slate are ranked or receiving votes - including a stretch of October 6-20 that features Florida, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia

The AVCA preseason poll always overvalues last season. Understandable. Not really critiquing that dynamic.

But Georgia and Tennessee should be switched, and Arkansas has as much business being in the preseason poll as University of San Diego last year. By that I mean none. Arkansas lost pretty much everything. 

Maybe Tennessee surprises me. They do return their setter, Caroline Kerr, and she's extremely good. #15 is still too high, though, IMO.

We Are Texas feature talking about the national championship season last year. The first episode of 3. It's about 11 minutes long. 

We Are Texas | Episode 1 - Longhorn Network

The next two episodes will be released on the 29th of August and then September 5. 

It's a little strange hearing the new assistant talk about the team when she's only been there a couple of months, but I get it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

We Are Texas feature talking about the national championship season last year. The first episode of 3. It's about 11 minutes long. 

We Are Texas | Episode 1 - Longhorn Network

The next two episodes will be released on the 29th of August and then September 5. 

It's a little strange hearing the new assistant talk about the team when she's only been there a couple of months, but I get it. 

She made it a little easier to listen to though

• Hook 'Em 1

Orange/White scrimmage going on right now. The starting lineup seems set, with Skinner/Wenaas, Ames/Singletary, Rutherford, Halter, and then Akana as the DS. My assumption is that Wenaas will go 6 rotations for the other spot, but I don't really know. 

Bunton is playing, which is amazing news. Rutherford is in sweats. Kahahawai is taking her place at opposite. Emerick is the Orange team's libero. 

I'm not there. Just reading the commentary on volleytalk from people who are. No stream. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I despise playing "neutral site" games in the home state of the opponent. 95% of the fans in Milwaukee will be Wisconsin fans, but its still a neutral site game.

The 4 coaches are trying to create big events that attract big crowds, are featured on some kind of linear TV network, and push the narrative of volleyball as a growing sport. My best guess is that this will be a floating invitational, with matches held in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area, the Dallas area and then the San Francisco area, not necessarily in that order.

It's being done purposefully. 

I also feel like there's some shared reluctance between Texas and Nebraska to schedule one another in any kind of way, so it's important to include programs that can bring people to the event. Wisconsin is the second best at doing that after Nebraska, and Minnesota is in the top 5 as well. Stanford is terrible at it, but they're a big time name program. 

We beat Nebraska in the national championship when 70%+ of the crowd were Cornhusker fans. I appreciate where you're coming from but there are other factors involved than simply the neutral court designation. 

Texas plays on Sunday

Nebraska vs Kentucky - Tuesday 6pm, ESPN2 (to see our conference mate Kentucky in action)
Wisconsin vs Louisville - Tuesday, 8:30pm, ESPN2 (to see our first opponent, Wisconsin)

6 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Who’s watching first? 

spacer.png

"This is the story of the 2023 Cornhuskers as they experience another shortcoming, this time at the hands of the Texas Longhorns, who dominated them in a fashion in the championship match hitherto unseen in the rally era."

Fixed it for them. 

I also feel like Nebraska doesn't get enough credit as a farm program for Texas. I like to look over their current roster to speculate who we're going to swipe next. 

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2024 at 8:54 AM, Js1 said:

Texas plays on Sunday

Nebraska vs Kentucky - Tuesday 6pm, ESPN2 (to see our conference mate Kentucky in action)
Wisconsin vs Louisville - Tuesday, 8:30pm, ESPN2 (to see our first opponent, Wisconsin)

Almost time! 

I have no idea if she should be in the lineup or not.  That said, I found the below article interesting.  Sounds like a young person struggling and making bad decisions.  Hopefully she can get onto a better path.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40991137/nebraska-volleyball-harper-murray-returns-arrest-offseason-mental-health