2024 Volleyball: SEC, here comes Daddy

Js1

Wisconsin isn't a top 5 team, I don't think. 

Good block and Franklin is a beast but they have major offensive issues outside of Franklin. Also, they have major service problems. The fact they got their ass kicked like this with our middles being a huge work in progress isn't a great sign for them. 

Just now, WBT said:

Good first match, especially considering Wisconsin had already played one

Good first 2 sets, close, then we treated Wisconsin like a first round NCAA opponent in sets 3-4.

-15, -11 is embarrassing for a top 3 team 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wisconsin isn't a top 5 team, I don't think. 

Good block and Franklin is a beast but they have major offensive issues outside of Franklin. Also, they have major service problems. The fact they got their ass kicked like this with our middles being a huge work in progress isn't a great sign for them. 

You can tell Charlie Furburger is gonna be good, but her not graduating early shows. Freshmen setters have to get onto campus in the spring if you’re going to rely on them 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

They aren't a top 3 team IMO. 

Outside of Franklin, their offensive firepower is pretty meh. 

Any team returning that much size and offensive should be top 3. But you never know how a true freshman setter will do 

Franklin, Robinson, Booth, Smrek, Gutcecin, Orzol is salty. But they’re missing the setter connection and not 100% sold on the two libero rotation 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Devin wasn’t even on the bench.  Did I miss her transferring?

also, that woman announcer sure talked about Franklin a lot.  

Devin did not enter the portal during the last window. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Devin did not enter the portal during the last window. 

Playing time is going to be hard to come by with Skinner, Wenaas, and now RR. 

Pretty surprised she didn't enter the portal but I wonder if things might have changed once she realized playing time was going to be minimal. Kind of feel bad for Devin and especially Swindle but that's the nature of the business. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You can tell Charlie Furburger is gonna be good, but her not graduating early shows. Freshmen setters have to get onto campus in the spring if you’re going to rely on them 

She didn't even arrive in early summer. She didn't show up to campus until right before fall camp. Shades of Ashley Shook. 

1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Devin wasn’t even on the bench.  Did I miss her transferring?

also, that woman announcer sure talked about Franklin a lot.  

Emily Ehman is the main voice for the Big 10. She's the color commentator for every big match. She does their panels. Everything. She did a top 20 players in the Big 10 for the coming season and Sarah Franklin was her #1. She will talk about Texas at various times, but she's paid to promote the Big 10 as her main gig, so that's what she's going to do. It's a Fox broadcast, too, which is in partnership with the Big 10 through their linear channels and is also a majority owner in the BTN with the Big 10 conference. 

It's a national telecast, so that's cool. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They aren't a top 3 team IMO. 

Outside of Franklin, their offensive firepower is pretty meh. 

I predict they improve throughout the year, come in second in the Big 10, and end up in the top 5-8 spots "2nd seed line" for the tournament. They have a lot of work to do, but I bet they get there. 

They do have issues with the second OH position, that's for sure. And Smrek is not consistently great. She's 6'9, but she's not exactly a gazelle out there. 

They really needed Landfair, and thought they had her, then Nebraska swooped in with their NIL and it was all over. Not even Texas can beat Nebraska at the NIL game in volleyball. Wisconsin had no chance. 

But I don't see a lot of great teams out there. Pittsburgh for sure, but to me there's a talent gap between them and Nebraska/Texas. Louisville, but I don't think Louisville is as talented as Pitt. Nobody in the SEC other than Texas is a contender for regional host. Kentucky is the 2nd most talented, and they're just not there. Florida has gaps, and without Stucky they're not the same kind of squad. Who knows when she comes back from reconstructive knee surgery or what she looks like. 

There's Penn State and Purdue, and maybe Oregon? But I don't think any of those teams are as talented as Wisconsin overall, even if they're more cohesive. Particularly Penn State. 

I just think this season is going to be about the inevitable showdown between Nebraska and Texas in a national championship rematch, and everyone else is playing for the bronze medal.  

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Minnesota lost to Stanford in 5

tomrorow is Texas-Minny and Wisky-Stanford

Minnesota is better than that awful mess they trotted out last year. Maybe a lot better.

And they won't have Landfair to receive serve 54 times in a match the way they did last year. I still shake my head at that. Why put her through that? It was practically abuse. 

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Minnesota is better than that awful mess they trotted out last year. Maybe a lot better.

And they won't have Landfair to receive serve 54 times in a match the way they did last year. I still shake my head at that. Why put her through that? It was practically abuse. 

Shaffmaster looks legit without her terminator brace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stanford wins in 4. Wisky now 0-3 with losses to Louisville, Texas, Stanford. Ouch 

Wisky hit .341 and lost in 4 lol

Texas and Minny up next after a break

Edited by Js1