RIP, Olive Oyl

C-Man

I saw her a couple of times at Milagros at the Junction before it closed. She would order takeout and the owner would bring the food out to her car. He said she was still sharp minded but health wise she looked bad.

I read an article somewhere about her being the town crazy lady in rural Texas somewhere. Perhaps this one, although i don't know how I found my way to the Hollywood Reporter. RIP

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/searching-for-shelley-duvall-the-reclusive-icon-on-fleeing-hollywood-and-the-scars-of-making-the-shining-4130256/

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hate horror movies, but I love The Shining. RIP Wendy. You were great once. 

Same. Her part isn't huge but she was pretty good as Steve Martin's best friend in Roxanne, an all-time favorite of mine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

As a kid I thought she was a big star since her movies were frequently on HBO and I recall that she had a cable series with her name in the title.

Then she disappeared.

as others have said some recent videos of her looked like she had mental and physical issues. Hopefully she knew that many people remembered her at her peak. 

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As a kid I thought she was a big star since her movies were frequently on HBO and I recall that she had a cable series with her name in the title.

Then she disappeared.

as others have said some recent videos of her looked like she had mental and physical issues. Hopefully she knew that many people remembered her at her peak. 

Faerie Tale Theater! Also fuck Dr. Phil exploiting Duvall. 

She was definitely a character.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 12:04 PM, F250 said:

She like Sissy Spacek had that look that seemed to be perfect for the 1970s.

That look of someone picked up by Henry Lee Lucas while they were hitchhiking? 

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 7/11/2024 at 11:57 AM, Celery Man said:

I read an article somewhere about her being the town crazy lady in rural Texas somewhere. Perhaps this one, although i don't know how I found my way to the Hollywood Reporter. RIP

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/feature/searching-for-shelley-duvall-the-reclusive-icon-on-fleeing-hollywood-and-the-scars-of-making-the-shining-4130256/

Dr. Phil’s a scumbag, huh? Who would’ve guessed?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:08 PM, C-Man said:

Same. Her part isn't huge but she was pretty good as Steve Martin's best friend in Roxanne, an all-time favorite of mine.

I seriously think that's about the most underrated movie ever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I seriously think that's about the most underrated movie ever.

Yup, that's a great one.

I can't believe that's Keith Carradine in the Nashville clip.  I was just too young for that movie I guess.  He sounds like Jim Croce.

Posted (edited)

I had no idea that the filming of The Shining is what broke her.  They shot over 100 takes for multiple scenes and it took over a year.  Working yourself up for those scenes over and over again must have been brutal.

Edited by kevwun

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I had no idea that the filming of The Shining is what broke her.  They shot over 100 takes for multiple scenes and it took over a year.  Working yourself up for those scenes over and over again must have been brutal.

Probably doubly so for someone who had no real aspirations or training as an actor, let alone what appears to be some mental fragility.

She's being taken pretty lightly in this thread. She had the kooky beauty and brought a unique shade to her every role. In Roxanne, some critics raised the interesting question that Martin should have been in love with Duval instead of Hannah.

Sounds like she was largely happy in retirement. I'm glad. RIP