Outlook email - Modern Authentication

AUinHsv

This is driving me crazy and of course Microsoft is useless for help. I have an email aaa@outlook.com. I set it up with POP protocol. I got an email from Microsoft that I need to move to Modern Authentication. I used Outlook in Office 365 as the desktop client. There does not seem to be any option to choose this. I also created a new profile and added the email. If I choose defaults it sets it up as IMAP but that still has the same issues. Microsofts help document only discusses POP or IMAP. Anyone have a clue how to convert to Modern Authentication?

Posted (edited)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/modern-authentication-methods-now-needed-to-continue-syncing-outlook-email-in-non-microsoft-email-apps-c5d65390-9676-4763-b41f-d7986499a90d

Any of that useful?  I have been out of the M$ environment for nearly a decade now.  This might be key:  any SKU with build 11601.10000 or higher

Edited by TwiceHorn

Those are the steps I have.  I have the latest version of Office 365 so I assume I am fine. I updated it this week. I am going to go to a computer that has never had Outlook and see if that works. I may be wrong assuming that the instructions say to create a new profile and that is a correct path

24 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Those are the steps I have.  I have the latest version of Office 365 so I assume I am fine. I updated it this week. I am going to go to a computer that has never had Outlook and see if that works. I may be wrong assuming that the instructions say to create a new profile and that is a correct path

You have to enable different authentication to use outlook I'm pretty sure. 

4 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

This is driving me crazy and of course Microsoft is useless for help. I have an email aaa@outlook.com. I set it up with POP protocol. I got an email from Microsoft that I need to move to Modern Authentication. I used Outlook in Office 365 as the desktop client. There does not seem to be any option to choose this. I also created a new profile and added the email. If I choose defaults it sets it up as IMAP but that still has the same issues. Microsofts help document only discusses POP or IMAP. Anyone have a clue how to convert to Modern Authentication?

When you say "Outlook In Office 365," do you mean an online client or the downloaded one?  If downloaded, maybe uninstall it and delete the old config files, if you can find them, and reinstall.  Online should take care of itself, but M$.

Downloaded.  I set it up on a different computer that never had Outlook running and it worked. So of course my lap top doesn't. Deleted all email accounts and the profile. It still creates a new email as IMAP. Currently removing Office and trying again. I do not want to reload the entire OS to fix this crap

5 hours ago, immamac said:

I am guessing that is at the server level - I am trying to do it at client level. I going to search - for some reason I think it may be disabled in registry. I remember copying a profile when I got the newer computer around 2020. That may have killed it - especially since it seems to work on my deskside which has never had any email set up

1 minute ago, AUinHsv said:

I am guessing that is at the server level - I am trying to do it at client level. I going to search - for some reason I think it may be disabled in registry. I remember copying a profile when I got the newer computer around 2020. That may have killed it - especially since it seems to work on my deskside which has never had any email set up

I'm telling you that the server matters here. 

I can help with a remote session or something, but it's likely just that you have the configuration wrong for what you are trying to do and need to go flag the server side in your account. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm telling you that the server matters here. 

I can help with a remote session or something, but it's likely just that you have the configuration wrong for what you are trying to do and need to go flag the server side in your account. 

Isn't the server at Microsoft since the email is at outlook.com? I am not running an email server. Just trying to configure my outlook email on the PC to use their new requirements. The email uses outlook.com as the server so I am assuming they have configured the new method since they told me to change to it.

10 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Isn't the server at Microsoft since the email is at outlook.com? I am not running an email server. Just trying to configure my outlook email on the PC to use their new requirements. The email uses outlook.com as the server so I am assuming they have configured the new method since they told me to change to it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/getting-started-with-the-new-outlook-for-windows-656bb8d9-5a60-49b2-a98b-ba7822bc7627

Posted (edited)

And success - no thanks to Microsoft. I restored the laptop back to the factory image - how it showed up. Same issue. as an fyi I was adding the accounts via the control panel - Mail.  I deleted all Office and started again. By luck when I opened Outlook it asked to add an account and this worked. I then noticed an option in Outlook itself.   File-Add account.  Guess what - that works also. Adding via the Mail option in Control Panel still adds as either POP or IMAP.  Bunch of goofballs at Microsoft wrote instructions to say just add the account but never said not to add it in Control Panel.  Grrrrrr.  Now I have to figure out how to only have a single directory for backup. It looks like the new method creates ost files while POP creates pst.

Edited by AUinHsv