Donald Trump Assassination Attempt

immamac

2 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Damn. We just stopped in El Paso on the way back from a trip out west. Stayed by the airport not far from that Walmart. Never would have thought that happened there until someone told us.

This country has serious issues

Yep.  And aside from that, El Paso's a pretty nice town.  And that little airport is very nice. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait….”as shown Saturday.” FASCINATING that “political violence” just got your hackles up on….Saturday. And not after El Paso. Or Charlottesville. Or Buffalo. Or January 6. Or Pittsburgh.
Your timeline of grave concern tells us a shitload about you.

Wait, what?  What a fucking straw man there. Saturday you know just happened. Anyway, my thoughts about the incident ranged from indifference to imagining another candidate. People that aren’t in his camp that repeat no political violence caveats are absolute frauds. 

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Are you familiar with the concept of war?

Yes. We weren’t at war yet with Japan. It was a weird, terrible analogy. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, there’s a few crazies mixed in the 330m in the US.   I’m completely surprised, honestly.   

Really shocking how those few crazies almost all randomly espouse right wing talking points. Totally coincidental. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Yep.  And aside from that, El Paso's a pretty nice town.  And that little airport is very nice. 

It actually is. Haven’t been through there in ages. I was surprised. Didn’t see one bad hombre

1 minute ago, Updawg said:

It actually is. Haven’t been through there in ages. I was surprised. Didn’t see one bad hombre

What day were you there?  The rapists and murderers come though Tues-Sat.  If you were there on a Sunday or Monday, they'd already moved north. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Really shocking how those few crazies almost all randomly espouse right wing talking points. Totally coincidental. 

Well, we can look into murder statistics across the US, of which we are all affected.  Most folks opt for the low hanging fruit that backs up their political talking points instead.  You know, point to the shiny, loud object.  

BTW, I've got size 14 feet (and I'm from CA, but I'm not a gay dude from CA) so I never had a need for cowboy boots, but, if I did want them, El Paso seems to be the place to get them. There's a shitload of bootmakers on that frontage road south of the 10

• Hook 'Em 1

What day were you there?  The rapists and murderers come though Tues-Sat.  If you were there on a Sunday or Monday, they'd already moved north. 

Oh. We were there Friday evening. And they even got a good rainstorm. God probably knew us whiteys were passing through

39 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The fascists are sucking each other's dicks tonight evidently. Can yall take it to a bathroom stall somewhere?

They're all just getting hot and bothered over the idea of voting for a child rapist

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Indomitable said:

SIAP

The most surprising admission to me was that they didnt have the roof secured where the shooter was because it was deemed a safety issue with the sloped roof. They actually had local cops inside the building below. Here’s the sloped roof  

IMG-2516.jpg

Shocking levels of incompetence  

Based on that pic, 1:12 @ most, probably metal, however satt shots I have seen via the Googs makes me think Single Ply (TPO, most likely).

Either way, very low slope.

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's kinda sad that an attempted assassination thread is just a thread of memes. The great part is that the memes are actually good and objectively funny. 

has the weapon been identified ?

shell casing recovered ?

slugs found ?

its an amazing disconnect. I honestly would like to understand it more, but obv that just isn't reality. 

all the other violent rhetoric, violent actions, etc do not equal an assassination attempt. now we have Bill O'Reilly on TDS lecturing us about how the media should behave in the aftermath of such an event. Lest us remember George Tiller or anything else that makes the rest of us mad. Where is the fucking disconnect? Is it purposeful ignorance and grandstanding - I mean it has to be. I try to refrain from just calling people stupid, but maybe they are evil? I don't like that word either. I get to this point every few years just staring back at my home and how it can be this fucking disconnected. Its just maddening

The modern American brain is fucking rotten. If anyone had any semblance of integrity, responsibility to society, self-esteem, respect for their friends and family they wouldn't be willing to be duped so fucking easily. I guess the answer is they really hate their neighbor that much that it has wiped away any emotional intelligence in affairs of politics, which is now everything. 

I mean its getting worse down here in the 5 years I've been here. Social media is working its magic to ruin our brains too, but holy fuck we aren't starting from a point of half retardation to begin with. 

Anyway, if you want a lecture on political decorum and media responsibility here is Bill goddamn O'Reilly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Oh hey look, the surly right wing cabal is here to tell everyone that it's not so bad. The psychopaths in Milwaukee are saying exactly what they want to accomplish, but if you take it seriously, you're the crazy one. They still refuse to acknowledge the result of a free and fair election and are saying what they'll do to prevent that outcome next time around. They put out a christian nationalist manifesto that would abolish religious freedom and create a true theocracy, but the guy tweeted that he doesn't know anything about it, so calm your tits. They are lying about immigrants saying they are all violent criminals, but don't worry about another El Paso, you're nuts for thinking that the rhetoric is dangerous just because the perpetrator flat out said he believed all of what they say from the podium. Yeah, just a normal election. You're the crazy ones for believing that they believe what they are saying on a daily basis. I swear, the term gaslighting gets way overused these days, but the last few pages is the literal definition of that term. 

surly maga ….

IMG_1112.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I love how O'Reilly slams Biden on inflation, Stewart replies, "well, what do you think Biden did to cause it?" Bill: "I don't know."
And the ending is the best. O'Reilly: "And my job as a journalist is to say -- "
Stewart: "Oh, when did you get that job?"
Perfect.
Jesus Christ. I bet O'Reilly really thinks he came off well. Anyone with half a brain cell could see the bullshit he was spreading. Is it just professional wrestling to people like him? Jon Stewart is a better man than me. I'd end up slapping him... it's not politically motivated if it's just theater, right?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, we can look into murder statistics across the US, of which we are all affected.  Most folks opt for the low hanging fruit that backs up their political talking points instead.  You know, point to the shiny, loud object.  

You are political aggie. Nothing more. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

BTW, I've got size 14 feet (and I'm from CA, but I'm not a gay dude from CA) so I never had a need for cowboy boots, but, if I did want them, El Paso seems to be the place to get them. There's a shitload of bootmakers on that frontage road south of the  I-10

Texanized it for ya.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

So guns then? (Of course not)

If Mr. Saw locks 5 people in a room, fills it with loaded guns, and then tell them Bob in the red shirt is the one holding them there over and over, when one of them kills Bob does he have any responsibility? Or can he say that it is just the actions of one crazy person that we can never understand? 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Based on that pic, 1:12 @ most, probably metal, however satt shots I have seen via the Googs makes me think Single Ply (TPO, most likely).

Either way, very low slope.

Very poor excuses explaining all of this.  The fact that no one has been fired or resigned over it is pretty pathetic.  These people are currently in charge of protecting Biden above all.  I don't feel great about that.

Trump should be dead.  If the shooter was successful, would anyone lose their job? What does it take?

Edited by Indomitable

I love how O'Reilly slams Biden on inflation, Stewart replies, "well, what do you think Biden did to cause it?" Bill: "I don't know."
And the ending is the best. O'Reilly: "And my job as a journalist is to say -- "
Stewart: "Oh, when did you get that job?"
Perfect.

That was an incredible moment.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Obstructed view may have delayed sniper response at Trump rally
3D analysis shows countersnipers likely had difficulty seeing the gunman before he fired.

image.thumb.png.18ca0cf3daecb9cdb5ecdf98616b0eee.png

Within seconds of 20-year-old Pennsylvania resident Thomas Matthew Crooks opening fire at former president Donald Trump’s rally in Butler, on Saturday evening, he was fatally shot by the Secret Service. But how did a specialized team of countersnipers fail to prevent its worst security lapse in decades?

A Washington Post analysis, based on more than 40 videos and photos, as well as satellite imagery and terrain analysis used to build a 3D model examining the rally site and shooter’s position, found that the two Secret Service countersniper teams may have initially been hindered in their ability to see the shooter as he crawled up the roof due to its slanted sides. Trees near the rally likely played a part in obscuring the shooter from at least one team assigned to detect and neutralize would-be snipers.

The Secret Service is responsible for the overall coordination of security measures during an event. The agency’s director said it tasked local law enforcement with securing the building from which Crooks allegedly opened fire and that officers failed to prevent him from accessing the roof.

The Secret Service declined to comment when asked whether the slant of the roof or the trees would have impacted the teams’ ability to respond.

The Post’s assessments were reviewed and corroborated by three former law enforcement officials, including two retired snipers and a former Secret Service agent, as well as a former marine sniper.

image.thumb.png.2fa1fc4d438ace8d06314ab4d811730e.png

image.png.a245ed455a27a41d0d271ff936c33614.png

The Post’s 3D model established that both units may have been hampered by the pitch of the building’s roof where Crooks was found, which rises roughly 3.5 ft from its exterior walls to its peak. According to the analysis, which placed a camera at the eye view of the teams, Crooks would likely not have been visible as he crawled up the roof to take his final shooting position. The Post’s reconstruction shows that the northernmost Secret Service countersniper team closest to the suspect — slightly more than 400 feet away and atop an approximately 23 foot tall barn — may have further struggled to see him because of two trees located between them.

image.thumb.png.21263cf0c87359745c560d2ea6bbe5c3.png

The second countersniper team, located roughly 550 feet from the shooter, while farther away, could have had a less obstructed view, according to The Post’s reconstruction, because they were positioned slightly to the west and the trees may not have been in their line of sight.

Countersniper teams commonly scan for threats with binoculars, which offer a wider field of vision than a rifle optic, said Jason Lawless, a retired officer who worked as a sniper with the Tulsa Police Department’s Special Operations Team. But about two minutes before gunshots were fired, the northernmost team had already moved to their rifle positions, suggesting they were attuned to a potential threat at that point. It’s unclear exactly when Crooks first became visible to Secret Service countersnipers.

“If they’re on scope, they’ve been notified about something,” Lawless said. As Crooks fired his first shots, one of the countersnipers on the northernmost team flinched, he said, took his eye away from the scope, and reset his position.

The southernmost countersniper team, which can be seen in earlier images facing south, appeared to reorient northward before Crooks allegedly fired, suggesting that they were also aware of a threat.

The two teams’ positions on the barn roofs sat between approximately five and eight feet higher than the rooftop from which Crooks allegedly fired from. This meant that both teams were likely not high enough to see Crooks as he crawled up the other side of the roof, The Post’s model showed.

A law enforcement official with knowledge of the shooting said the sloped roof could have created a visual block to the countersnipers. The countersniper who killed Crooks had him in his sights for some moments trying to assess whether he had a gun and was a threat and then shot him seconds after Crooks fired, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity amid an ongoing investigation.

Authorities have not said which member of Trump’s protection team shot and killed the gunman.

How Crooks scaled the roof of a nearby building, over 400 feet away from where Trump was speaking without being stopped by law enforcement, is under active investigation.

Aerial footage verified by The Post showed his body was located about 40 feet from the eastern edge of the building, which looks out on a parking lot. A few feet from him was a rifle, and farther down the roof an object that resembled a bag.

The Post’s 3D reconstruction shows that while there are trees in between the shooter and one of the secret service teams — which would have offered him concealment, according to Lawless and the other experts — the view between the shooter and the podium where Trump was standing was largely unimpeded.

Aerial footage showed a ladder leaning against a structure connected to the building Crooks allegedly fired from, where there are also air conditioning units. It’s unclear how the shooter reached the roof of the building, which at its lowest point is just over 13 feet high.

While the countersniper teams would have had difficulty seeing Crooks while he was on the far side of the roof, onlookers outside of the rally were able to easily spot him before the first gunfire, raising questions about the effectiveness of nearby local law enforcement patrols.

Multiple videos filmed by attendees outside the rally’s perimeter and verified by The Post reveal their attempts to alert law enforcement to a person on the roof who they thought might be armed. Police officers in the videos walk near the building from which Crooks fired. One video verified by The Post shows people calling out to officers that there was a man on the roof at least 86 seconds before the first shots were fired at 6:11 p.m. The camera zooms in to show him lying on his stomach.

“There should have been police officers in the vicinity who could have either denied him access to start with, or instantly respond to the call,” said Derrick Bartlett, a retired Fort Lauderdale Police Department SWAT sniper and president of the American Sniper Association. “So there was a hole in the security.”

At 6:11 p.m., gunfire crackled the air.

Two audio experts — Rob Maher of Montana State University and Steven Beck of Beck Audio Forensics — counted a total of 10 gunshots after analyzing verified footage of the assassination attempt and law enforcement response that followed. The first eight had similar audio characteristics and were fired in six seconds. They were followed immediately by a shot from a different location, they said, and, 16 seconds after the shooting began, by a final shot. These last two gunshots had different acoustic signatures from the previous ones, suggesting a security response. Both Maher and Beck cautioned that audio analysis alone could not determine the exact source of these gunshots.

On Tuesday, Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle said that local police were responsible for securing the building’s perimeter and that officers were inside when Crooks was on the roof. Part of the reason the agency didn’t request an officer on top, she said, was over safety concerns for someone standing on an angled roof.

The Post’s analysis shows the countersniper teams were positioned on steeper roofs.

On July 14, the day after the shooting, President Biden ordered an independent review of the incident. In a statement, Cheatle said her agency is “working with all involved federal, state and local agencies to understand what happened, how it happened, and how we can prevent an incident like this from ever taking place again.”

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Those pictures probably shouldn't make me chuckle. "Should we cover that one building right across from us over there? That one building. Right next to us." 

It's nuts is what it is. Just unbelievable.

Meanwhile, we now know the kid had been practicing, according to the AP. Not a lot of other new details in their update, other than the FBI has cracked his phone and apparently haven't yet found anything.

As a freshman, Crooks had tried out for his high school rifle team but was rejected for poor marksmanship, the AP previously reported. Through his family, he was a member of the Clairton Sportsmen’s Club, a shooting range about 11 miles (17 kilometers) east of Bethel Park.

“We know very little about him,” club president Bill Sellitto told the AP. “That was a terrible, terrible thing that happened Saturday — that’s not what we’re about by any means.”

The club has an outdoor range for high-powered rifles with targets set at distances of up to 170 meters (187 yards).

Crooks was well within that range when he opened fire on Trump Saturday from about 135 meters (147 yards) from where Trump was speaking, unleashing two quick volleys of rounds at the former president with an AR-15 style rifle.

10 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

and almost all of them seem to come out after dark too. intredasting

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

now I'm craving pork buns from East Side King

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, bolverk said:

“We know very little about him,” club president Bill Sellitto told the AP. “That was a terrible, terrible thing that happened Saturday — that’s not what we’re about by any means.”

Ah thanks Bill. Didn't know.

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Curious, do y’all talk like this around normal people irl?

I am not referring to the last post exclusively, but some of the shit broadly registered in the course of this thread. Cause some of y’all be wilding  

If you look to your left and don't see a fuckstick and you look to the right and don't see a fuckstick, you're the fuckstick.

It will be interesting to see what card the SS pulls out to try to avoid having Cheatle testify in front of Congress on Monday.  Probably the old "active investigation" card.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Ted Lange said:

The fact that there is a market for that is absolutely insane.  Fucking weridos

You do have to admit that they look like pretty high quality sneakers.  

• Haha 4