Shots fired on UT Campus

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lovely.  My son is currently walking from Spider House to west campus.

I guess if he's gonna be around campus that's about as far as you can get from mlk/dedman.  have you talked to him?

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

I guess if he's gonna be around campus that's about as far as you can get from mlk/dedman.  have you talked to him?

Yeah, he hadn't heard.  He's fine (or was) but he was still walking.  I told him to see if the Hole In The Wall would let him in and get a "coke" on my tab.  I think I might be a bit in arrears on that bill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Well tomorrow (technically now Monday) should be an absolute hoot for security purposes on campus.  Yeah, I think I will sit this one out.  

Glad your son is okay.  Between all the events of the last 48 hours, plus the added events and stops...yeah, no. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Interesting, but that was almost 5 hours ago and I've been hearing what sounds like shots down towards UT, or least probably down past the hospitals on 38th street, but it could be fireworks - normally I have no problem differentiating the two, but it's far enough away and the echo, etc. are screwing with me.  Plus Nextdoor/Facebook are silent, and they'd be freaking out if it was gunshots.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Nudge Fuggets said:

Thoughts and prayers and all that stuff for your kid.

He saw/heard nothing.

I'm not going to suggest he's the most attentive kid in the world, though.  All is well.  Did this thing really happen?

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well tomorrow (technically now Monday) should be an absolute hoot for security purposes on campus.  Yeah, I think I will sit this one out.  

Glad your son is okay.  Between all the events of the last 48 hours, plus the added events and stops...yeah, no. 

I thought i saw somewhere Biden was cancelling his visit? Might have been in the news confusion last night. 

4 hours ago, ABSR said:

I think it intersects Manshack.

Next week on 'The Austinonians' 

"Stuart!  Oh my god, what are doing here fondling my Honduran housekeeper?!?  How did you even get here?" 

-Well first I took the Dedman to the Manshack before taking a left at the Slaughter.  And then backtracked on the Cockburn Lane.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Next week on 'The Austinonians' 

"Stuart!  Oh my god, what are doing here fondling my Honduran housekeeper?!?  How did you even get here?" 

-Well first I took the Dedman to the Manshack before taking a left at the Slaughter.  And then backtracked on the Cockburn Lane.

Should have stopped for a burger on Kaynig.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Interesting, but that was almost 5 hours ago and I've been hearing what sounds like shots down towards UT, or least probably down past the hospitals on 38th street, but it could be fireworks - normally I have no problem differentiating the two, but it's far enough away and the echo, etc. are screwing with me.  Plus Nextdoor/Facebook are silent, and they'd be freaking out if it was gunshots.

i heard 3 loud bangs about a couple minutes apart around 1am last night. Chalked it up to urban noise.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Back in my day we had Charlie Whitman and James Cross.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have good old boys with hunting rifles returning fire on Whitman?

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we have good old boys with hunting rifles returning fire on Whitman?

You are correct. It sounded like a ‘Nam firefight for over half an hour.

When my brother worked at the student health center while attending UT in 1958, he and other student employees lived on the top floor. 
He kept his deer rifle & a handgun locked in his closet.

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Back in my day the UT grounds crew  used to walk through campus firing shotgun blanks to scare away the grackles. 

I remember that.  And some of those fuckers would casually draw their guns without warning and fire a shot, and then have a big shit-eating grin when the students walking to class around them would freak the fuck out.

I worked at Highland Mall for a time in college and would leave well after 10pm when I was done closing the store. The mall hired some asshole to do the same around the trees there due to grackles. That was never a fun thing to be around. 

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I remember that.  And some of those fuckers would casually draw their guns without warning and fire a shot, and then have a big shit-eating grin when the students walking to class around them would freak the fuck out.

Don't tell me every single surly wouldn't do the same. It was probably the most fun they had in the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Back in my day the UT grounds crew  used to walk through campus firing shotgun blanks to scare away the grackles.  

Hands hold a photo of a group of people in rows holding shotguns.

Oh so these were the mother scratchers with the cannons waking me up every morning in Prather Hall?

Edited by yoladu

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

This picture hard af.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I bet that group would have no problem breaking up a campus protest. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, yoladu said:

i heard 3 loud bangs about a couple minutes apart around 1am last night. Chalked it up to urban noise.

If it’s near Shoal Creek. It’s probably just the regular Saturday night group that hunts homeless people along the creek for food and sport, although normally they are pretty good about using suppressors.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If it’s near Shoal Creek. It’s probably just the regular Saturday night group that hunts homeless people along the creek for food and sport, although normally they are pretty good about using suppressors.

"This one is good eatin'.  The otherun's too scrawny for any sizeable meat haul, unless we took several of 'em and got a stew goin'."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Everyone in this photo looks cool AF and totally down to kill a 6 pack after a shift…. Except this guy:

IMG_0401.jpeg

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

"This one is good eatin'.  The otherun's too scrawny for any sizeable meat haul, unless we took several of 'em and got a stew goin'."

Arrested Development GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Everyone in this photo looks cool AF and totally down to kill a 6 pack after a shift…. Except this guy:

IMG_0401.jpeg

That’s the dude keeping all the paperwork in order so the crew can walk around campus with shotguns smoking reds and crushing bud heavies all day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Covri said:

That’s the dude keeping all the paperwork in order so the crew can walk around campus with shotguns smoking reds and crushing bud heavies all day.

Ill Allow It GIF

On 7/13/2024 at 11:55 PM, Gatorubet said:

dedman?

IMG_2774.gif.87cae23f021898cf4e6d709ac2fda009.gif

Named after a rich Longhorn named Robert Dedman.  There used to be a Dedman Hospital in Dallas, but I suppose it didn't exactly instill confidence in the public, so they changed the name to the Dallas Medical Center in 2010.

• Haha 1

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Flegacy%2Fsites%2Fkut%2Ffiles%2F201603%2FGrackleWars.JPG

We paid people to do this??? How many would sign up to do it for free! Hell, some would pay, make it a time slice amongst the Surlites, it would be a profit center!
  • Hook 'Em 1

A friend of mine in EE had a grackle shit on him on his way to a final. Light blue shirt with a nice white streak starting on his head down past the shoulder and onto the chest. He was lucky he was an EE major. His classmates probably didn't even notice.

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

I first encountered those guys while walking down Speedway the fall semester of my freshman year. Two days later, I was waiting for the Campus Loop bus when a homeless guy approached me and explained that Texas could secede from the US any time it wanted to, because the Texas annexation was unconstitutional. It really is incredible that I finished out that year and eventually graduated from our esteemed university.

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I first encountered those guys while walking down Speedway the fall semester of my freshman year. Two days later, I was waiting for the Campus Loop bus when a homeless guy approached me and explained that Texas could secede from the US any time it wanted to, because the Texas annexation was unconstitutional. It really is incredible that I finished out that year and eventually graduated from our esteemed university.

39 minutes ago, miguelito said:

That homeless guy probably still posts here.

That homeless guy's name?  @futureman .

And now you know... the rest of the story.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1