SEC Media Days

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Steve Sarkisian talks Texas’ first season in SEC and the importance of culture | SportsCenter

After listening it reminded me of commercials back in the day when one could not avoid commercials.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:05 PM, cafe society said:

I didn't see the show, but historically McElroy is a pretty big Horns fan.  He's usually very complimentary and knowledgeable about the team.

Being from Southlake Carroll I'm sure McElroy wanted to play for the Longhorns, but Mack probably recruited him to play as a safety. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Probably too soon, or too late, but I'ma claim "timely".

1. SEC Media days is a damned impressive production. XII Media Days is totally amateurish next to it. Be fair, I'm not a big fan of SECSECSEC bullshit, but I can't see my way to avoiding a hat tip to this production.

2. Someone needs to explain to Loreal about the difference between Burnt Orange and regular ol' SEC Arnje. Other than that, Sark was also damned impressive, and it appeared that other than Late Kick Dumbass, pretty much all the talking heads felt the same way.

3. Hook'em

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Quinn was asked early about Connor Weigman, and I'm assuming another aggy showed up late and asked him again 15 minutes later about his relationship with Conor Wiegman. Who tf cares if they're friends or not? They're so damn desperate for validation.

5 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Josh Pate? What did he say?

Josh was Finebaum's first 15-minute guest at 1600 yesterday. Without going into too much ranting, he restated the aggy "too much tu" lines. Grantedm he didn't use their favorite lines, but he totally failed to point out that aggy is complaining about tu bringing SECSECSEC media daze to Bug D, but neglecting to note that this is truly about Texas... when aggy has been in the league for 12 years and never once managed to bring SEC to either Dallas or Houston. 

Josh is pretty good in most ways, but his main sponsor is Academy, and the aggy connection runs deep.

What neither Josh, nor Finebaum, nor anyone else has bothered to mention is that aggy goes on and on and on about tu being their gret rival... but Texas has the Don Draper attitude towards them. Although, gtanted, Don didn't have any belly laughs about the abject stupidity of his copywriters, much less five or ten times daily.

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually watched a majority of the SEC media days, while “working” and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and broadcast of all teams leading up to this AM, as the British Open trumped the media days - IMO

I did watch some of the coaches from today (Elko) later this afternoon. To spread that out over four days is a little too much, but I digress.

Hook’em!!!

3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

To spread that out over four days is a little too much, but I digress.

theres a lot of teams that really dont like each other, and going over 2 days means 8 and 8.. and you gotta find 8 teams that  can be on the same day as the most hated 5 teams:  Texas. Bama. Georgia. LSU, Tenn (not in order)   and then find the other 5 or 6 teams that can be in the same room as each other. 

we know damn well we dont want to be in the room the same day as aggy, ou, piggy, LSU.  the rest we can deal with. 

but Bama doesnt want to be in the same room with Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Tenn for sure.

Florida cant stand Tenn, Georgia, Auburn and Kentucky

and theres your main problem, Tenn, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, Florida.... all 5 of those teams dont really want to be in the same room with any of the other 4.  

6 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

theres a lot of teams that really dont like each other, and going over 2 days means 8 and 8.. and you gotta find 8 teams that  can be on the same day as the most hated 5 teams:  Texas. Bama. Georgia. LSU, Tenn (not in order)   and then find the other 5 or 6 teams that can be in the same room as each other. 

we know damn well we dont want to be in the room the same day as aggy, ou, piggy, LSU.  the rest we can deal with. 

but Bama doesnt want to be in the same room with Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Tenn for sure.

Florida cant stand Tenn, Georgia, Auburn and Kentucky

and theres your main problem, Tenn, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, Florida.... all 5 of those teams dont really want to be in the same room with any of the other 4.  

Huh? What do you think is going to happen, coaches are just going to start prison shanking each other? This event should be 1-2 days max. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

Huh? What do you think is going to happen, coaches are just going to start prison shanking each other? This event should be 1-2 days max. 

Prison shankings would bring in more viewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You don't have to say it to say it.

Fact.

I missed most of the fourth day, but I only have one real question about the proceedings.

Did The Elk explain how come he didn't bring any players? Or did I hear that wrong, and they just weren't listed?

46 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Fact.

I missed most of the fourth day, but I only have one real question about the proceedings.

Did The Elk explain how come he didn't bring any players? Or did I hear that wrong, and they just weren't listed?

aggy brought 3 players just like everyone else; Turner DL, York LB, and Zuhn OL. Replays and quotes posted on SEC media days website - https://www.secsports.com/championships/fbmd24#sched-day4

Q. There's a school about an hour south of Temple that's coming to College Station late in November. What do you anticipate that game like to you? I don't know if they were involved in your recruiting process at all, and just with the fan base as well. 

TAUREAN YORK:

No, they weren't really involved in my recruiting process. I don't think they reached out to me too, too much. Obviously it's a special game for everybody in the state of Texas.

We're excited for that game. I know Kyle Field is going to be rocking when that day comes.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, D3zii said:

Only thing I noticed is it seems like most teams/media had a problem with Sark saying Texas is coming in to win Conference championships . 

How arrogant of us to have the same goal as everyone else. If you aren’t aspiring to win the prize, why bother competing? Texas hate is nothing but confirmation bias.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2024 at 4:40 PM, TreatyOak said:

They have made financial decisions that programs can only look on in envy, like locking in a coach no-one else wanted with a $78M buyout.

I need to make a correction to my earlier post. Aggy did not, 'lock in' a coach that no-one else wanted. Their hopelessly stupid contract, which is possibly the most Aggy thing of all time, did not 'lock hm in.' It simply guaranteed the most insane payout of all time to a coach who was marginal in his performance, at best. Coach Jimbo could have walked away from the contract at any time without incurring a financial penalty, not would his new school have had to pay a financial penalty for hiring him. All this for a coach no one wanted! 

While we have made lots of fun of this criminal waste of money, but I don't believe we have truly explored the folly of it.  

Milk-Truck.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I need to make a correction to my earlier post. Aggy did not, 'lock in' a coach that no-one else wanted. Their hopelessly stupid contract, which is possibly the most Aggy thing of all time, did not 'lock hm in.' It simply guaranteed the most insane payout of all time to a coach who was marginal in his performance, at best. Coach Jimbo could have walked away from the contract at any time without incurring a financial penalty, not would his new school have had to pay a financial penalty for hiring him. All this for a coach no one wanted! 

While we have made lots of fun of this criminal waste of money, but I don't believe we have truly explored the folly of it.  

Milk-Truck.jpg

Ima start negging the aggy AI bullshit outside of the aggy AI bullshit thread.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

The folly of the Jimbo contract short-term is aggy reneged on their promise to upgrade the baseball facilities.

It's part of the reason they lost their bestest corch evar, Schloss. The other part is it appears Schloss grew tired of their idiotic, fake army culture quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

The folly of the Jimbo contract short-term is aggy reneged on their promise to upgrade the baseball facilities.

It's part of the reason they lost their bestest corch evar, Schloss. The other part is it appears Schloss grew tired of their idiotic, fake army culture quickly.

Great point. And along with the stadium upgrade issue, Coach Schloss suggested/indicated that because they laid off people he relied on in the athletic department, he could not trust their athletic director. Aggy 'leadership' is so stupid that they can't even make huge sums of money work for them. They really are the embarrassing relatives who inherited money but are too uncouth to live with any dignity and eventually end up broke again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2024 at 10:46 AM, DFW Horn said:

Big Sam has embraced plenty of hogs in his day; ham, bacon, pork chops...

Getting Mind in Shape May Be Just as Important for Sam Pittman - Sports  Illustrated All Hogs News, Analysis and More

Sam uses less coachspeak per interview than most.  The Hogs have had several “characters” as head coaches.  Crazy ass Houston Nutt, Easy Rider Petrino, buffoonish Bielema.  

Danny Ford was another one.  Once when he was at Clemson, where his coaches show ndver got off the ground because he literally couldn’t utter a single sentence without saying goddamn, shit, hell or fuck, he participated in a written Q & A between top coaches and Sports Illustrated, sort of like school kids’ first assignment going back to school after summer vacation.  One of the questions: What books did you read over the summer.  I can’t recall any of the answers but Ford’s.   Most coaches gave a goog response.  Bill Curry answered with some thoughtful and philosophical nonfiction, Ofher coaches gave Hemingway or Stephen King or John Grisham as answers.  Danny Ford - “I ain’t read no books.”

• Haha 2

On 7/16/2024 at 2:06 PM, mdmost said:

He's really not. He's on the Ticket here in Dallas every week during the season and is constantly talking up Texas and Sark. The one thing he dislikes about our fanbase is the "we would've beaten Alabama if Colt hadn't gotten hurt" talk. 

Well, we would have. 

Here are the detailed stats from the game-

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2009-2010/ut14.html

McElroy dropped back 17 times. He was picked once. He was sacked five times. He completed six for 58 yards. 

Alabama could not handle an offense like Texas had in 2008 and 2009. They almost couldn’t handle it with Gilbert in there. If Colt isn’t hurt, and a little pressure to score is put on Alabama, it would have got ugly. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/19/2024 at 8:58 AM, D3zii said:

We respect the SEC but we’re also going to make you respect us!!

Agreed with the latter but disagree on the former. Our being in this redneck conference is strictly a business move.

Nothing has changed from my perspective. Fuck the secX3. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, statsman said:

Well, we would have. 

Here are the detailed stats from the game-

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2009-2010/ut14.html

If Colt isn’t hurt, and a little pressure to score is put on Alabama, it would have got ugly. 

Any statement about the 2010 BCS championship game beginning “If Colt isn’t hurt,” is Bevo pure speculation steershit.

If Horns Nation had just accepted that loss and Colt’s injury as the breaks of footballad and not been Whiny Bitches Nation for 10 years and just accepted that loss like the bona fide hombres and football sages you profess to be, Texas would’ve been “back” long before now.  Fuck, guys, you ARE back.  Everyone knows it and acknowledges it.  Be proud, well done.  Now see if you can back it up and lay waste to the SEC this year the way you took charge last September in Tuscaloosa.  Hope to see you in Atlanta or elsewhere this postseason.  The Horns and Bama are on a collision course.  The only variable is time.* Let’s Twist Again like we did last summer.  I don’t see Texas being tested until the SEC Championship.

* - A special trivia prize goes to anyone who can tell me who first said that and in what context.  You’ll relish the answer.

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Any statement about the 2010 BCS championship game beginning “If Colt isn’t hurt,” is Bevo pure speculation steershit.

If Horns Nation had just accepted that loss and Colt’s injury as the breaks of footballad and not been Whiny Bitches Nation for 10 years and just accepted that loss like the bona fide hombres and football sages you profess to be, Texas would’ve been “back” long before now.  Fuck, guys, you ARE back.  Everyone knows it and acknowledges it.  Be proud, well done.  Now see if you can back it up and lay waste to the SEC this year the way you took charge last September in Tuscaloosa.  Hope to see you in Atlanta or elsewhere this postseason.  The Horns and Bama are on a collision course.  The only variable is time.* Let’s Twist Again like we did last summer.  I don’t see Texas being tested until the SEC Championship.

* - A special trivia prize goes to anyone who can tell me who first said that and in what context.  You’ll relish the answer.

I don’t think there’s a problem with accepting the loss and dealing with it as the breaks of football. It happens. It’s part of the game.

The following ten years had nothing to do with that game or the fan’s reaction to it, and everything to do with the quality of our coaches. Don’t give yourself too much credit. All of our wounds were self inflicted by Mack quitting in the job and two subsequent bad hires. Those are also the breaks of the game.

Sometimes you get the hire right. Sometimes you don’t. I guess we will find out if Bama got it right with Debour. I think they did, but you never know. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Of course it's speculation. Duh? What isn't speculation is that it was the first time in ten tries Alabama was actually able to outscore Texas.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t think there’s a problem with accepting the loss and dealing with it as the breaks of football. It happens. It’s part of the game.

The proximate cause of the loss, of you want to pin it on one thing, was Mack Brown's lack of preparation. Having as backup QB a true freshman, and giving that freshman nothing but garbage-time snaps consisting mostly of handoffs to fourth-string RBs was abject stupidity. That freshman was beyond bad, but Muschamp's D held Alabama in check, to the point that we were only 3 points down as the game drew to  close. Desperation play-calling turned that from an incredibly close game to a scoreboard blowout... which was not indicative of the actuality. Mack's continued dogshit coaching was allowed to go on for more seasons, and his replacements turned out to be a dumbass followed by a certified asshole. 

Sark has turned out to be better than we probably deserve, but I'll take it.

Hook'em.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

1 - Of course talk about what happens if Colt isn't injured is speculation. But it's sound. You can disagree with the conclusions of the majority, but it doesn't make our frustration at what would have likely been any less real. It's not "steershit".

2 - You are labeling us Whiny Bitch Nation because you are apparently offended any time someone says "If Colt hadn't been hurt..." Why? You won the fucking championship. What do you care what we think? We are a proud program that ended up wandering the desert for the next decade+ - of course we got frustrated.

3 - Our whining or refusal to "accept" what followed had nothing to do with our decreased fortunes that followed. ZERO. It was two disastrous coaching hires that didn't work. Nothing more or less.

4 - In short, with all due respect, fuck off with your bullshit.

• Like 1