Mr Gatti's

RPM

Mr Gattis more than any pizza was always the best cold pizza for this reason.

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

The only problem with Gatti's is the edges of the crust becomes like concrete after sitting overnight in the fridge. The dogs don't mind, though. 

3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Mr Gattis more than any pizza was always the best cold pizza for this reason.

Don't get me wrong, it's delicious cold, but I stop at the crust edge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Was the place to be in lake Jackson in the 80s and 90s. So many postgame parties there. Regularly pillaged the one on mlk during undergrad and law school and now thrilled to have it back in my life. Wife hates it but kids and I love it. Best part is it’s about 20 minutes from placing order to our front door.

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't had it in years, but the last few times we ordered it, while still good, was a shadow of its former self.  Perhaps a product of the march of age, but I remember living off E. Riverside in the late '70s and the Gattis near the multiplex theatre and Minimax was just outstanding.  Not Conan's outstanding, but greatness none the less.

Just now, Deej said:

I'm sure living off Riverside was much worse than you remember it. 

That was actually one of the most desirable student/young person locales 45 years ago.  Great variety of clubs and restaurants.  Businesses that really catered to students.  Two theatres and rock clubs.  High class billiard parlor.  The best Jorge's.  The Abby Inn.  Very clean and safe back then.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, cafe society said:

That was actually one of the most desirable student/young person locales 45 years ago.  Great variety of clubs and restaurants.  Businesses that really catered to students.  Two theatres and rock clubs.  High class billiard parlor.  The best Jorge's.  The Abby Inn.  Very clean and safe back then.

The Back Room. Saw The Ramones there twice.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Crushed Mr. Gatti’s at MLK a few times during my school days (late 2000s) when I was 300+ pounds. Still crush it to this day at the one in League City at 185 pounds.

Cheese sticks, thin crust pepperoni, and BBQ chicken pizza are the best. Wife and kid love it too. They know I won’t go to CiCi’s. I ain’t eating that cheap shitty pizza. Let’s go to Gatti’s.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Deej said:

The Back Room. Saw The Ramones there twice.

I saw Panterra there as a high school kid in the mid-90’s. One of the craziest shows I’ve ever been to. 

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I saw Panterra there as a high school kid in the mid-90’s. One of the craziest shows I’ve ever been to. 

On the flip side, there was The Hit, with that guitarist with the transparent green guitar. They were hardworking, but they had nothin'. I think they got signed to a label simply through union rules/seniority.

2 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Was the place to be in lake Jackson in the 80s and 90s. So many postgame parties there. Regularly pillaged the one on mlk during undergrad and law school and now thrilled to have it back in my life. Wife hates it but kids and I love it. Best part is it’s about 20 minutes from placing order to our front door.

That's my childhood Gatti's.  Looks like it isn't there anymore.  Kind of surprised there is not one anywhere in the area.

I had limited experience as my cousin would take me to the one in Handley when my folks would come in to visit. I was as in jr high / high school and loved the joint compared to the Pizza inn and shakeys we hung out at in Memphis though they were more lax serving the beer up there.

Wife was out of town a couple weeks ago.  Was lazy and ended up picking up a Gatti's XL Sampler. 

With online coupon and picking it up myself, got out the door for less than $16.  Fed me 3 meals and a slice for breakfast one morning.

pooh-hungry.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/16/2024 at 9:59 AM, mdmost said:

Dial 459-2222 and get a Mr. Gatti's pizza delivered. Real cheese. Real hot. Real taste is what we got. Real service. Real fast. All the other pizzas are a thing of the past. So dial 459-2222. Mr. Gatti's, the best pizza in town.

Now that's some effective marketing if I can remember a spot that ran in a town I haven't lived in for over 26 years.

You didn't even need to jot it down!!

21 hours ago, cafe society said:

I didn't see them at the Back Room.  I think it was that tiny race track out toward the airport.

More likely Liberty Lunch. I'm not sure Back Room would book Gwar because of the mess.  Are we still talking pizza? I liked Gattis on MLK, but always preferred the buffet at Double Dave's because of the pepperoni rolls.

• Like 1

My soph year, the house across the street from us housed 3 employees of the Duval location of DD. Huge stoners that were all RTF majors grinding about 6hrs per semester. If any of those guys were working, we could just walk in grab a plate and smash that buffet. We could also grab a pitcher, walk behind the counter and fill em up. The manager for that location was a huge coke head, so he was never around and our buddies pretty much ran the joint. I hate to think how many  pepperoni rolls I ate that year. Free food/drink is the best food/drink when you're a broke student. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

More likely Liberty Lunch. I'm not sure Back Room would book Gwar because of the mess.  Are we still talking pizza? I liked Gattis on MLK, but always preferred the buffet at Double Dave's because of the pepperoni rolls.

Never liked the pepperoni rolls because the half cooked pepperoni inside ruins it. 

cold pepperoni 👍 

fully cooked pepperoni 👍 

par baked pepperoni 👎 

Sausage is the better vehicle if you must  

Edited by ChickenSandwich

On 7/16/2024 at 3:51 PM, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I think you're right.  And that building (more like mansion) had one of the largest collections of western art anywhere.  It was really impressive, but shit was everywhere. Like we had to put some sculptures on the floor so we could use the desk space.

Originally a Louis Schreiner mansion renovated by Gatti's owner Lloyd Brinkman in the 80s to serve as HQ and house his art collection.  I grew up there.  After Brink's death, the mansion sold and art collection was liquidated

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/16/2024 at 10:22 AM, SimonBolivar said:

I grew up on Gattis and love it to this day. I took my wife to one 3 or 4 years ago and she thought it was CiCi's level. Surely she's wrong and my nostalgia is correct.

Gattis is a good half step above Feces Pizza.

2 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

Originally a Louis Schreiner mansion renovated by Gatti's owner Lloyd Brinkman in the 80s to serve as HQ and house his art collection.  I grew up there.  After Brink's death, the mansion sold and art collection was liquidated

I still remember one painting he had.  It was probably 10 feet by 10 feet (or maybe bigger) and was cowboys riding up to a high mountain lake.  Was spectacular.