2024 - The Open @ Royal Troon

Hollywood

I do a pool with friends for all majors where it's total money won.  You pick 2 from the top 10, 2 from 11-20, and 3 from 21+ (in the official world golf rankings).  Open to suggestions.

Posted (edited)

Weather looks to be a big unknown - the morning/afternoon draw may play easier. 

“Bigger” names I like off the cuff:  Rory, Fleetwood, Finau, Hatton. 

Longshots - Min Woo, Oosthuizen, Theegala, Tom Hoge. 

Fuck it, Jordan almost certainly isn’t going to win but he’s never finished worse than t30 at this event. He has some pretty long odds…

Edited by MrX

US TV Schedule for The Open (All times ET)

Thursday/Friday:

1:30AM-4AM: Peacock
4AM-3PM: USA
3PM-4:15PM: Peacock

Saturday:

5AM-7AM: Peacock
7AM-3PM: NBC

Sunday:

4AM-7AM: Peacock
7AM-2PM: NBC

Featured Group coverage all week on Peacock.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Going with (as of now):

Rank Name Position Total Total Adjusted Thru
6 Collin Morikawa       -
18 Tony Finau       -
30 Jason Day       -
36 Jordan Spieth       -
54 Tom Hoge       -
55 Alex Noren

Rules are:

Pick 1 player from top 10 world rankings

Pick 3 players from top 50 world rankings

Pick 2 players from 50+ in world rankings

Edited by Hollywood

Go to bed. They start The Open in less than 3 hours. My favorite Friday off from work! Tomorrow will be a struggle, but with the technology over the last 20+ years, it’s not as painful, as you can keep up while working.

Hook’em!!!

Posted (edited)

JT birdies 18. Clubhouse leader at -3. 

UT golfer Tommy Morrison is in the field. Became the first American to win the European Amateur last month. He got a Longhorn shoutout on the Euro feed. They commented on his big feet too. 

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Watching this dude shoot over par is fun. I just can't get into liking him, or really any of the liv dudes.

Also......yikes, Tiger. Monty gonna be laughing now.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, MrX said:

Tiger can’t move around in the rain and cold. No way he can contend at one of these again unless he draws a warm and dry week. 

image.png.77f37026bf0b3a78a6a5a7801409e5e7.png

Lulz. The dude has yet to break par all year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

image.png.77f37026bf0b3a78a6a5a7801409e5e7.png

Lulz. The dude has yet to break par all year. 

I’m not saying he can contend (I don’t believe he can no matter the circumstances) but there’s been talk that if he ever could again, it would be at this tournament because you need experience and strategy, it’s an easier walk, etc.  While that sounds nice, the weather pretty much kills that sentiment. 

3 minutes ago, MrX said:

I’m not saying he can contend (I don’t believe he can no matter the circumstances) but there’s been talk that if he ever could again, it would be at this tournament because you need experience and strategy, it’s an easier walk, etc.  While that sounds nice, the weather pretty much kills that sentiment. 

Agreed. He's going up against too much talent to fuck around and win one of these when he's only playing ~15-20 rounds a year. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Agreed. He's going up against too much talent to fuck around and win one of these when he's only playing ~15-20 rounds a year. 

Yep. I still think he hits it good enough to be out there. It's all the other stuff where his lack of reps really shows up. 3 putting on a par 5, missing shots in places that are dead, etc. Situations where normal touring pros can escape and still scratch out a par, he can't anymore. His recovery shots and ability to will a par into existence just aren't there.

Edited by Pam Cummings

8 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Watching this dude shoot over par is fun. I just can't get into liking him, or really any of the liv dudes.

Also......yikes, Tiger. Monty gonna be laughing now.

I hope not.  Tiger 15-0 over Monty in major wins.  

What I like is because it’s generally a crosswind on an out and back, you better be able to move the ball both ways off the tee. Toms of guys can’t do that right now. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Seven under through 36 is fucking bananas in these conditions.

Lowry might could go 71/71 on the weekend and take this one hoke. 

12 minutes ago, MrX said:

Cut line continuing to fall. Those two rounds by Lowry were lights out. 

"Obviously he doesn't have 190 club head speed which bends the centrifugal force of gravity when the wind is blowing that hard." - Bryson, probably

• Haha 2

Scottie says he hits a stock 5 iron 205 yards.  yesterday, he hit a full 5 iron about 155 yards. this wind ain't no joke.  this is the way golf was meant to be on a links course.

Scottie in at -2.  bogeyed 18, which sucked, but he is in the mix.  but Lowry looks so comfortable on this course, he's gonna need a mini collapse to bring guys back in.