2024 - The Open @ Royal Troon

Hollywood

22 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Scottie says he hits a stock 5 iron 205 yards.  yesterday, he hit a full 5 iron about 155 yards. this wind ain't no joke.  this is the way golf was meant to be on a links course.

Scottie in at -2.  bogeyed 18, which sucked, but he is in the mix.  but Lowry looks so comfortable on this course, he's gonna need a mini collapse to bring guys back in.

Yesterday they showed a 145 yard approach which was playing 190 into the fan. I think the wind is worse today.

Posted (edited)

Niemann stepped up to the Postage Stamp at one under.  he made an 8. hit his gap wedge tee shot into a bunker. hit his second into a different bunker.  left his third in that bunker.  fourth to a different bunker (his third different bunker on the hole). played sideways for his fifth.  3 putted for 8.  

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Niemann stepped up to the Postage Stamp at one under.  he made an 8. hit his gap wedge tee shot into a bunker. hit his second into a different bunker.  left his third in that bunker.  fourth to a different bunker (his third different bunker on the hole). played sideways for his fifth.  3 putted for 8.  

Im A Celeb GIF by RuthieHenshall

1 hour ago, MrX said:

Rory missed a green by 40 yards left from the fairway with a gap wedge 

58 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

One of us! One of us!

Fairway? Humblebrag much? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

UT golfer Tommy Morrison is +7.  cut is +6.  he's on the par 5 16th.  just left his second a little short of the green, so he's chipping for eagle.  if he can make a birdie and then par 17 and 18, he'll make the cut.

Peacock has the coverage.

20 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

The group of Rory, Max, and Tyrell may not have anyone make it to the weekend.  

Homa just drained a 30 foot downhill birdie putt on 18 to make the cut right on the number.  he's super pumped.

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

UT golfer Tommy Morrison is +7.  cut is +6.  he's on the par 5 16th.  just left his second a little short of the green, so he's chipping for eagle.  if he can make a birdie and then par 17 and 18, he'll make the cut.

Peacock has the coverage.

Morrison birdied 16, made a clutch 8 foot par putt on 17, and then knocked it stiff on 18.  he missed his 5 foot birdie putt, but he made the cut at +6.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/16/2024 at 11:35 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Good for Woods.

I've had one interaction with Montgomerie and he was a dick.

It was at Oakmont in 1994 and I was tasked with driving players around and I introduced myself to him and he was pissed that I didn't know who he was.

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Good for Woods.

It was at Oakmont in 1994 and I was tasked with driving players around and I introduced myself to him and he was pissed that I didn't know who he was.

he’s a huge dick 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Good for Woods.

You couldn’t recognize an elite athlete when you see one? (picture is from the ‘94 US Open)

IMG_1601.jpeg

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 1

Well he did play college golf at Houston Baptist. Some may have to “Google” where their campus is located.

I think he thought as a young golfer that he was playing for UH, but I digress. He did play during a timeframe that UH golf was a dominant figure in the collegiate game.

Hook’em!!!

2024 Open Championship tee times, Round 3 pairings

All times Eastern

• 3:55 a.m. -- Darren Fichardt, Tommy Morrison
  • 4:05 a.m. -- Guido Migliozzi, Max Homa
  • 4:15 a.m. -- Shubhankar Sharma, Sungjae Im
  • 4:25 a.m. -- Abraham Ancer, Luis Masaveu
  • 4:35 a.m. -- Matt Fitzpatrick, Darren Clarke
  • 4:45 a.m. -- Rickie Fowler, Jorge Campillo
  • 4:55 a.m. -- Harris English, Robert MacIntyre
  • 5:05 a.m. -- Aaron Rai, Matt Wallace
  • 5:20 a.m. -- Adam Scott, Daniel Hillier
  • 5:30 a.m. -- Younghan Song, Andy Ogletree
  • 5:40 a.m. -- Si Woo Kim, Hideki Matsuyama
  • 5:50 a.m. -- Davis Thompson, Phil Mickelson
  • 6 a.m. -- Alex Cejka, Jacob Skov Olesen
  • 6:10 a.m. -- Ewen Ferguson, John Catlin
  • 6:20 a.m. -- Sean Crocker, Brian Harman
  • 6:30 a.m. -- Chris Kirk, Austin Eckroat
  • 6:45 a.m. -- Matteo Manassero, Justin Thomas
  • 6:55 a.m. -- Calum Scott, Joe Dean
  • 7:05 a.m. -- Cameron Young, Kurt Kitayama
  • 7:15 a.m. -- Ben An, Brendon Todd
  • 7:25 a.m. -- Rasmus Hojgaard, Ryan Fox
  • 7:35 a.m. -- Richard Mansell, Thriston Lawrence
  • 7:45 a.m. -- Thorbjorn Olesen, Laurie Canter
  • 7:55 a.m. -- Tom McKibbin, Emiliano Grillo
  • 8:10 a.m. -- Jordan Spieth, Sam Burns
  • 8:20 a.m. -- Padraig Harrington, Eric Cole
  • 8:30 a.m. -- Adrian Meronk, MK Kim
  • 8:40 a.m. -- Matthieu Pavon, Russell Henley
  • 8:50 a.m. -- Nicolai Hojgaard, Alex Noren
  • 9 a.m. -- Jeung-Hun Wang, Tom Hoge
  • 9:10 a.m. -- Sepp Straka, Gary Woodland
  • 9:20 a.m. -- Marcel Siem, Jon Rahm
  • 9:35 a.m. -- Mackenzie Hughes, Collin Morikawa
  • 9:45 a.m. -- Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson
  • 9:55 a.m. -- Joaquin Niemann, Matthew Jordan
  • 10:05 a.m. -- Patrick Cantlay, Xander Schauffele
  • 10:15 a.m. -- Jason Day, Corey Conners
  • 10:25 a.m. -- Scottie Scheffler, Dean Burmester
  • 10:35 a.m. -- Billy Horschel, Justin Rose
  • 10:45 a.m. -- Dan Brown, Shane Lowry

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Morrison birdied 16, made a clutch 8 foot par putt on 17, and then knocked it stiff on 18.  he missed his 5 foot birdie putt, but he made the cut at +6.

Just came here to post about Morrison.

Didnt realize he was in the tournament until perusing tee times for tomorrow.

2 back of the low am going in to the weekend

Last time I saw him was at the NCAAs last year in Scottsdale. Followed him for a couple of holes until he walked up to the tee box where an Oregon player was lying on his back with his foot elevated after impaling it with a tee. So I hopped over a few more holes and followed Aberg around a while /csb

Survived a three-man three-hole aggregate play-off in Denmark on June 29 to become the first American winner of the European Amateur Championship.

The 6ft 9in Morrison tied with compatriot Preston Summerhays and Ireland’s Max Kennedy on nine-under-par and that sent them back onto The Scandinavian course after German Tim Wiedemeyer, one ahead with one to play following four successive birdies, finished with a quadruple-bogey nine.

Morrison had himself taken a six at the 18th, three-putting from only four feet, but on his return to the hole his birdie gave him the title and a place at Royal Troon.

The University of Texas player, who went into the event 38th on the World Amateur Golf Ranking, had reached the last 16 of the Amateur Championship a week earlier just as he did last year.

He was also a quarter-finalist in the US Junior championship in 2023.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, MrX said:

I’m already locked in!  Wind change for today, now the front is playing way easier than the back. Some good early scores so far. 

JT is 5 under through 8. 

We may have a nice little Moving Day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

JT is 5 under through 8. 

We may have a nice little Moving Day. 

Early "games" today likely having a huge advantage with rain/wind coming in later.

Leaders playing late will likely drop back to more of the field, which might allow 20 or so players a shot to win on Sunday.

Edited by LTtxfan

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Did Scottie borrow one of Matt Rhule's smocks?

Lulz.

just turned it on and the first shot was from behind scheffler on his approach on 3 and I was like “who is this and why is he wearing what looks like a cheap suit “

• Haha 1