10 states with poorest quality of life

I can’t help but feel these are filled out by people who vacationed somewhere once, and are making their decisions based on that mindset.  I’d really like to live in Aspen, and think about it every time we’ve visited. Then I remember I don’t have 35m for a house there.   Same way NYC is really cool when you’re staying in some swank hotel and blowing $$$ for a week.   Fuck yeah this beats Houston.   Oh, my Houston house would be 8m here.  Huh. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I can’t help but feel these are filled out by people who vacationed somewhere once, and are making their decisions based on that mindset.  I’d really like to live in Aspen, and think about it every time we’ve visited. Then I remember I don’t have 35m for a house there.   Same way NYC is really cool when you’re staying in some swank hotel and blowing $$$ for a week.   Fuck yeah this beats Houston.   Oh, my Houston house would be 8m here.  Huh. 

Didn’t read the article , did you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Covri said:

Didn’t read the article , did you?

Nope. figured it was like the last 4 of these posted this year.  I’ll read it now, it has the potential to be slightly less stupid. 

eta: read it.  Absolutely not affected by any of that.   Would assume anywhere you don’t have health care and make minimum wage is a shitty place to live. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

SEC! SEC!  70% of the top 10. Dominating as usual 

Could get to 80%. I’ve always said, the Jayhawks are a dark horse for an SEC invite.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kansas–Nebraska_Act&diffonly=true

Also, how the fuck is Mississippi not on that list? (No, I’m not going to read whatever stupid logic they used)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, futureman said:

print this list and post it on every telephone pole in california

Looks like a list that Californians put out in an effort to sell their homes at a premium and GTFO.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Having lived in both Houston and NYC, I can tell you that Houston doesn’t hold a candle to NYC. Houston has its good points, but the availability of amazing things to do in NYC is absolutely unparalleled. The weather, overall, is better up here as we actually have four seasons, with both Spring and Fall being my favorites. The walkability is also absolutely fantastic. 

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Having lived in both Houston and NYC, I can tell you that Houston doesn’t hold a candle to NYC. Houston has its good points, but the availability of amazing things to do in NYC is absolutely unparalleled. The weather, overall, is better up here as we actually have four seasons, with both Spring and Fall being my favorites. The walkability is also absolutely fantastic. 

There’s no place like nyc.  It’s just too fucking pricey for 95% of the world 

55 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Looks like a list that Californians put out in an effort to sell their homes at a premium and GTFO.

IMG_0433.thumb.png.c8f29eca03c4e507cb7e0741610edf6b.png

Yea idk.  See above.  Looks like you can get quite a bit if you sell in California.  It’s Redfin so the data is likely shit but I pulled Irvine and what I think are there dfw and Austin counterparts.   

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That is true.  My first time round, I did not make enough, and so I was not as complimentary, and Houston was good to me for the next 12 years.  Night and day coming back here making enough money to have a very good life. To the point of I would never consider moving back to Houston/Dallas.  Austin is probably the only place I would consider, and that is behind a whole host of international cities.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

IMG_0433.thumb.png.c8f29eca03c4e507cb7e0741610edf6b.png

Yea idk.  See above.  Looks like you can get quite a bit if you sell in California.  It’s Redfin so the data is likely shit but I pulled Irvine and what I think are there dfw and Austin counterparts.   

Off subject, but I look at California coastal areas from time to time because I miss our home in Capitola and all my wife's friends live near where she grew up in Cupertino: While Capitola is crazy expensive because people commute there to the bay area, the central California coast is by California standards somewhat reasonable (Between Carpenteria and San Simeon). It seems to me that the disparity between Austin home prices and those areas is a lot smaller these days - a $1.8M home there may be $800K here. It may still not be doable for a vacation home, but it isn't laughable anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Off subject, but I look at California coastal areas from time to time because I miss our home in Capitola and all my wife's friends live near where she grew up in Cupertino: While Capitola is crazy expensive because people commute there to the bay area, the central California coast is by California standards somewhat reasonable (Between Carpenteria and San Simeon). It seems to me that the disparity between Austin home prices and those areas is a lot smaller these days - a $1.8M home there may be $800K here. It may still not be doable for a vacation home, but it isn't laughable anymore.

Austin has come back down to earth. I did some poking around. A 500k home in cedar park would be 1.9 in Irvine 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Austin has come back down to earth. I did some poking around. A 500k home in cedar park would be 1.9 in Irvine 

I'm kind of scared to do that comparison with Santa Barbara to Cedar Park because I don't want to see how much Cedar Park has dropped. Our house in Cedar Park was at about $850K but I thought that it probably went down to $650-$700K this year - Our next purchase is going to be a home in the mountains and there it will be $850K for a home that I want. We will probably offer $750K and see what happens. But, I'll still probably have to put $100K into it to make it what I want (updated Master Bathroom and Kitchen) and need (extra garage for 2nd car).

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, duh.  I’ve been in Houston since 84 and a life long resident of SE Tex.  Houston is a great city with many things going for it.  But NYC, despite its faults, is one of, if not the, greatest city on Earth.  No other city in the US compares to NYC.  Not that I could ever live there though.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I had dinner with a friend last night, who is from Birmingham originally but has been in Houston for 9 years (and I grew up here) and he is a major Houston apologist, but even he's had enough.  Houston has a lot of good things going for it, like the food scene and COL, but those two things alone is not enough to make up for 

• Weather
  • Traffic
  • Infrastructure
  • Lack of outdoor things to do
  • General ugliness of the city
  • Politics of the state
  • Shittiness of the people who live here - everyone is so angry and paranoid since COVID
  • Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

7bc71d59c4e590df1acddad165d91d38256a9a35

• Hook 'Em 1

You have to drill down a number of links from the one in the OP before you get to the methodology

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/13/how-we-are-choosing-americas-top-states-for-business-2024.html

Quality of Life (325 points – 13%)

With unemployment low and workers still in short supply, companies are seeking to locate in states that can attract a broad array of talent. That makes quality of life an economic imperative. We rate the states on livability factors like per capita crime rates, environmental quality, and health care. We look at worker protections. We look at inclusiveness in state laws, including protections against discrimination of all kinds, as well as voting rights, including accessible and secure election systems. With studies showing that childcare is one of the main obstacles to employees returning to the workforce, we consider the availability and affordability of qualified facilities. And with surveys showing a sizeable percentage of younger workers would not live in a state that bans abortion, we factor reproductive rights in this category as well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1