2024 Paris Olympics

Didn't see a thread.

Opening ceremony live at 12:30 central on July 26. Rebroadcast that night at 6:30.

FYI, NBC is raising the price of Peacock by a couple bucks a month as of tomorrow. If you sign up today, one month at the old price will get you through the entire games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Will Peacock stream just the actual events, especially wrt track and field, basketball, etc.?

I can't stand all the filler/fluff/featurette bullshit that seems to comprise two-thirds of US-based Olympic coverage these days.

Peacock will stream everything. 

• Like 1

NBC's coverage of the Olympic trials for swimming was really extensive.  The Olympic page on Peacock has about ever sport listed looks like it will be streaming everything (Men's and Women's Race Walk Finals are scheduled for 2:00 am on 8/1).  

I've been following the Tour de France on Peacock for the last 20 days.  They have full coverage of the stages, 25 min highlights of stages, and several shorter highlights (interviews with stage winners, etc.).  One problem is spoilers.  If you're clicking around trying to find the comprehensive highlight of the days stage, it is really hard not to see the window next to it that shows an interview with the winner of that stage.  Too much background, but I fear there will be similar spoiler highlights lurking around the Olympics on Peacock. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Peacock will stream everything. 

FULL MONTY !!

I will not be signing up for Peacock (did that once) and will therefore miss all of the soccer & most of the tennis that I would want to watch, so oh well. 

Another Olympics that passes off of the range of my radar.

🤷‍♂️👏

On 7/17/2024 at 5:10 PM, Napoleon said:

I will not be signing up for Peacock (did that once) and will therefore miss all of the soccer & most of the tennis that I would want to watch,

Why not? For $8 or $14 (no ads) you can watch it all and cancel it the day after you sign up to make sure you don't get stuck paying after the Olympics are over.  You will still have access for a month which will get you all the way through the Paris games.

Katie Ledecky, swimming

Ledecky, 27, is a 10-time Olympic medalist and has won seven golds. She is a captain for the U.S. swim team and largely considered one of the best athletes in the sport's history. Paris marks her fourth Olympic appearance.

One thing to know: Slated to compete in four events in Paris, Ledecky has a chance to surpass Jenny Thompson, Natalie Coughlin and Dara Torres (all with 12 medals) as the most decorated female American Olympian in history -- and could potentially pass Thompson (eight) to take over the record for the most gold medals by a woman in the sport.

One thing to watch: Ledecky's dominance in the pool across distances has been well documented, but it's particularly blatant in the 1500m freestyle, which she often wins by a full length of the pool. Entering the Olympics, she owns the top 19 times in history in the race. At the U.S. Olympic swim trials in June, she held off the rest of the field by over 20 seconds.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40585259/americans-olympians-watch-paris-olympics-biles-ledecky-richardson

19 top times is just silly. 

On 7/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, Jerry Callo said:

NBC's coverage of the Olympic trials for swimming was really extensive.  The Olympic page on Peacock has about ever sport listed looks like it will be streaming everything (Men's and Women's Race Walk Finals are scheduled for 2:00 am on 8/1).  

I've been following the Tour de France on Peacock for the last 20 days.  They have full coverage of the stages, 25 min highlights of stages, and several shorter highlights (interviews with stage winners, etc.).  One problem is spoilers.  If you're clicking around trying to find the comprehensive highlight of the days stage, it is really hard not to see the window next to it that shows an interview with the winner of that stage.  Too much background, but I fear there will be similar spoiler highlights lurking around the Olympics on Peacock. 

The Cock's Sport coverage is actually quote good. Only recently i've watched coverage on Tour De Trance, The British Open and The Olympic Trials. The non-sports content is marginal, but for sports it's the best service outside of ESPN Plus.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:03 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

It was really fun to read through that article with my kids last night.  I wonder how thank ranks with other schools (obviously Stanford and USC with more sports and just as much success as us, will have somewhere in that ballpark).  

One cool thing my oldest pointed out.  37 current and former Longhorns...representing FIFTEEN different nations.  If they don't find a way to tie that into "What starts here, changes the world", they're fucking crazy.

Note to dads, when printing out the day's broadcast schedule...remember to switch to CDT from CET.  They got all excited at some events happening before they go to swim/dance/etc.  I realized, "Uh, you gotta subtract 7 hours from that time, we're not getting up 4am to watch Canoeing.  "

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

LeBron and Gauff are shit picks for flag bearers. Not that they aren't amazing athletes, but the flag bearers should be in "Olympic sports." Not tennis, not basketball (ok maybe the women), but sports where Olympics are the pinnacle of the sport. Heard someone say it the other day, the only 2 right choices are Simone Biles or Katie Ledecky.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I got no strong opinion either way. But I've long considered Women's Tennis to be an "Olympic Sport", that's kinda how HS and NCAA and UT Athletics categorizes them.  I like the Gauff addition.  

But yeah, with all due respect to LeBron who is playing his last Olympics, I think Simone would be a more appropriate fit.  

Have we always had two?  I coulda sworn it was just one.  No DEI bullshit here, but this is one of those times where I think it appropriate to have one Male Athlete and one Female Athlete bring out the colors because of the breakdown of our contingent.  I'd also like the idea of one of them, regardless of Men's or Women's events, to be an older Olympic legend with multiple medals taking their last run at Gold forever.  And the other to be our best up-and-comer with the most potential for multiple medals in multiple Olympics.  As a symbol to the rest of the world..."We have all these legends, and more waiting in the wings.  We have all the best athletes across the most events.  Abandon all hope, ye who enter these five rings."  I mean I know it's about sportsmanship and all, but that all ends in the first Water Polo match when you take a knee to the balls as the Hole Man a dozen times (if you know, you know).  

• Hook 'Em 3

Equestrienne Charlotte Dujardin is bidding to become Britain's most decorated female Olympian in Paris but was filmed "engaging in conduct contrary to the principles of horse welfare" and has been forced to drop out.   

Charlotte's pretty cute and I'd like an opportunity to review the conduct.  While I'm alone at home.  For educational purposes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/charlotte-dujardin-horse-video-rider-olympics-2024-b2584864.html

image_2024-07-24_174944568.png

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I got no strong opinion either way. But I've long considered Women's Tennis to be an "Olympic Sport", that's kinda how HS and NCAA and UT Athletics categorizes them.  I like the Gauff addition.  

But yeah, with all due respect to LeBron who is playing his last Olympics, I think Simone would be a more appropriate fit.  

Have we always had two?  I coulda sworn it was just one.  No DEI bullshit here, but this is one of those times where I think it appropriate to have one Male Athlete and one Female Athlete bring out the colors because of the breakdown of our contingent.  I'd also like the idea of one of them, regardless of Men's or Women's events, to be an older Olympic legend with multiple medals taking their last run at Gold forever.  And the other to be our best up-and-comer with the most potential for multiple medals in multiple Olympics.  As a symbol to the rest of the world..."We have all these legends, and more waiting in the wings.  We have all the best athletes across the most events.  Abandon all hope, ye who enter these five rings."  I mean I know it's about sportsmanship and all, but that all ends in the first Water Polo match when you take a knee to the balls as the Hole Man a dozen times (if you know, you know).  

To me Olympic Sports are the ones where the pinnacle is winning an Olympic medal. This is kind of what eliminates a lot of "pro" sports because their top events are majors (golf), grand slams (tennis), a World Cup (Soccer is weird because this is a U23 tournament), Basketball is weird because when it was amateurs, this was the top - but now I would argue that league titles are more important.

Give me things like Track and Field, Swimming/Diving, Gymnastics, Volleyball or a ton of smaller sports that we don't even know are sports. Those are the Olympic Sports.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yeah, fair point.  Plus the profile/visibility of certain sports change over time.  I was just speaking from experience.  Like in Illinois, they were informally known as "Olympic Sports" if you made state in swimming, tennis, volleyball, diving, track, etc "Our school has 17 Olympic sports students competing downstate").  And I know in Belmont, at least under DeLoss, so as not to use the term negatively, they wouldn't internally say "Non-Rev sports", they'd say "Olympic Sports."  Obviously that's all different now with CDC and NIL.  You can certainly say the same about most winter sports.  Obviously most schools don't have ski jump and curling teams and the pro leagues are very low pay.  So that's really the pinnacle for those athletes.  

My oldest was already watching one of those athlete profiles tonight with the soft lighting and inspiring music.  I just overheard a little some smaller-watched sport, maybe climbing or something indoors, but it was basically "she would wake up at 4am and be driven by her dad an hour to train for 2 hours before school, and then another 4 hours after school.  That kinda thing.  And she asked, "Why do they spend all that time and all those years for a few events at the Olympics?"  Fair question, especially since I'm not a morning person.  I tell her, "#1-they have fire in their hearts and ice in their veins.  The main reason they go is to see how good they are compared to the rest of the world.  #2-they go to represent their country whether it's United States or Zambia or Andorra.  #3-for some of them, this is it in their sport.  They get a medal, and then can spend the rest of their careers endorsing products, signing autographs, being famous back in their towns.  They deserve it because of how hard they trained for so many years."  

• Hook 'Em 1

Handball Spain vs Brazil now

I can never figure out the teaveling rules in handball.  It almost seems like anything goes, but there must be a reason they're eurostepping so much.

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

Handball Spain vs Brazil now

I can never figure out the teaveling rules in handball.  It almost seems like anything goes, but there must be a reason they're eurostepping so much.

I never realized basically every possession is a goal. Saw like two saves in however much I watched of that women’s match above. 

So it appears that for the first time ever NBC (via peacock) is going to carry the opening ceremony live. I don’t know if Tokyo was, but it was the pandemic, it kind of didn’t matter. Brazil was on a 1-hour delay in 2016 and I know for sure 2012 London wasn’t live.

Frankly our coverage sucks, I recommend picking up the BBC feed. 

But the Ceremony will be at noon eastern, 11 AM central. First one not at the stadium (the parade of athletes at least). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Anyone else suddenly an expert on Women’s Handball?

Or just me?

That's the spirit of watching the Olympics. We're all experts on all of this stuff now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2024 at 5:10 PM, Napoleon said:

FULL MONTY !!

I will not be signing up for Peacock (did that once) and will therefore miss all of the soccer & most of the tennis that I would want to watch, so oh well. 

Another Olympics that passes off of the range of my radar.

🤷‍♂️👏

giphy.webp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You played women's handball? Did you dominate, or were you JAG?

Men play it doofus. Just not here in the land of the free. And if you want to know the hot chicks in high school, well you know the girl handball and volleyball teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, dogbreath said:

So in women’s handball you can get a two minute penalty for grabbing your opponent by the boob. Slow motion works pretty good. 

I would be racking up 20 to 30 minutes per game in the penalty box. 

🫱( o )( o )🫲

• Hook 'Em 1