2024 Paris Olympics

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I seen on facebook the chuds are in an uproar over the fat dj girl supposedly "mocking Christianity"

if any one group of people is going to be a good judge of culture, it's Facebook people.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Can I get a super cut of Snoop? I can only handle so many dance numbers. 

Everything cool I find (if it’s not NBC/Olympic copyright gets ganked) here you go 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You're a child if you're offended by that.

Correct, I think my children would be offended watching that. And I had planned on having them watch the Olympics, but I guess it’s a good thing they were doing other things when this aired 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Correct, I think my children would be offended watching that. And I had planned on having them watch the Olympics, but I guess it’s a good thing they were doing other things when this aired 

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

Do us all a favor and fuck off out of this thread if you are going to bring negativity.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

The world is a scary place man, I get it.  

3866daf9-602d-4041-ba73-973a91e40341_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

We've all had conversations with people that went:

"Hey do you remember ____?"

"No I wasn't allowed to watch that when I was a kid my parents were weirdos"

No Cinemax then?

1 hour ago, randomhorn said:

I’m watching the replay on regular NBC and it makes me sad that they fucked over some of the smaller countries getting shown as part of the parade to show commercials. Cmon, these folks worked their asses of to be Olympic athletes and there are no doubt diaspora groups in the states that would like to be proud of their home country too

Completely agree.  Our coverage sucks.  Always has.  Just like watching F1 and having them cut over for commercials.

• Hook 'Em 2

My parents once banned me as a child from watching the Price is Right for one year. Apparently, I became a complete asshole during the showcase showdown. Yelling at contestants. I mean it tracks with me but y’all already knew I was fucking weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

We've all had conversations with people that went:

"Hey do you remember ____?"

"No I wasn't allowed to watch that when I was a kid my parents were weirdos"

I had friends who weren't allowed to watch The Simpsons growing up.  The horror.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

My parents once banned me as a child from watching the Price is Right for one year. Apparently, I became a complete asshole during the showcase showdown. Yelling at contestants. I mean it tracks with me but y’all already knew I was fucking weird. 

Have they tied together any bodies in a lake with people you yelled at?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Completely agree.  Our coverage sucks.  Always has.  Just like watching F1 and having them cut over for commercials.

The thing is who takes over if not NBC. I can only see either CBS, ABC or Fox. CNN is part of the CBS stuff. You need multiple channels. Disney kissed ABC’s ass goodbye. ESPN cannot do it. So you have either Fox or CBS. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The thing is who takes over if not NBC. I can only see either CBS, ABC or Fox. CNN is part of the CBS stuff. You need multiple channels. Disney kissed ABC’s ass goodbye. ESPN cannot do it. So you have either Fox or CBS. 

I think NBC reupped this in the last few years thru like 2040, so there's that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I had friends who weren't allowed to watch The Simpsons growing up.  The horror.

My neighbors wouldn't let their kids watch Saturday Night Live because they made fun of the Pope

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I bet Enchubben's parents didn't allow him to watch Three's Company because "What if Jack maybe isn't faking it?"

• Haha 2

So many people are googling Gojira after the opening ceremony. This was so well done. Much of it in secret. Much of it couldn’t be practiced. Shit rain that wouldn’t fuck off. I thought the boats gave each country a chance to shine in a way that was refreshing. This set a new standard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Never been a fan of Celine Dion but…damn. That was strong. 

I have no earthly idea what that song is about, maybe I never want to know.  That was just amazing.  I also couldn't help but think that it's just her and the piano player, way up on the Tower, with no real audience, like a performer is accustomed.  Sure, all of Paris, and much of the world was watching, but really no one else really near her.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Ha, this was me. When I was in my late 20’s, my mom called me randomly and she was laughing. She said, “do you remember why I wouldn’t let you watch the Simpsons? This show is hilarious.”

Next Christmas, she bought me seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Too late, mom.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I have no earthly idea what that song is about, maybe I never want to know.  That was just amazing.  I also couldn't help but think that it's just her and the piano player, way up on the Tower, with no real audience, like a performer is accustomed.  Sure, all of Paris, and much of the world was watching, but really no one else really near her.  

It was one of the most beautiful moments in the history of humankind 

You're a child if you're offended by that.

I seen on facebook the chuds are in an uproar over the fat dj girl supposedly "mocking Christianity"

Yeah…my socials have more than a few people decrying that “Satanism is running loose,” all that psychotic shit. “The end of days,” “we are in the ultimate battle of good vs evil.” FFS. Go drink some fucking cyanide Koolaid, you joyless cultists.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Was that the same song that was on Saving Private Ryan when they were playing the records right before Ze Germans showed up to the little bridge town ? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Was that the same song that was on Saving Private Ryan when they were playing the records right before Ze Germans showed up to the little bridge town ? 

To answer my own question…nope.  But it was a song written and sung by the same singer, Edith Piaf, as the song in that movie (Tu es Partout)

• Like 1

Was kinda funny to see NBC respect turkey wanting to be called turkeiey or whatever it requested at euros….then when it came to the people’s republic of Korea they just went with North Korea. Should’ve went with Taiwan instead of Chinese tapai to really spice it up

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

To answer my own question…nope.  But it was a song written and sung by the same singer, Edith Piaf, as the song in that movie (Tu es Partout)

You've got a good musical ear. Piaf is one of the greats of 20th-century French music. I didn't know the particular song Celine sang, but I immediately recognized that it must have belonged to her solely because of the pacing, singing style, melody, etc. To be honest, I've never been a fan of Celine Dion, but props to her. That's the best she's ever sounded, in my opinion.

Growing up in small-town Texas, I'd never heard her name until I took French in high school and got a slightly better education when I went to live in an exurb of Paris as an exchange student for a year. Of course, we've all heard "La Vie en Rose," but some may not have heard her name.

She's a real treasure over there, on par with our own Louis Armstrong as a comparison in American culture.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You've got a good musical ear. Piaf is one of the greats of 20th-century French music. I didn't know the particular song Celine sang, but I immediately recognized that it must have belonged to her solely because of the pacing, singing style, melody, etc. To be honest, I've never been a fan of Celine Dion, but props to her. That's the best she's ever sounded, in my opinion.

Growing up in small-town Texas, I'd never heard her name until I took French in high school and got a slightly better education when I went to live in an exurb of Paris as an exchange student for a year. Of course, we've all heard "La Vie en Rose," but some may not have heard her name.

She's a real treasure over there, on par with our own Louis Armstrong as a comparison in American culture.

I was interested in the part about her being big in France, because she is French Canadian.  I suppose mainly because of the language, but I have to figure she has other ties.

I also thought it was really cool that France involved great Olympians from other countries during their ceremony.  I don't recall anyone else ever really doing that.  It was a classy move, but it did kill my Nadal, Serena, Carl Lewis, and Nadia are all on a boat joke.