2024 Paris Olympics

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

She's a real treasure over there, on par with our own Louis Armstrong as a comparison in American culture.

Satchmo also celebrated her catalog.

Always loved how his voice and trumpet shared the exact same vibrato ... at least later in life.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I was interested in the part about her being big in France, because she is French Canadian.  I suppose mainly because of the language, but I have to figure she has other ties.

I also thought it was really cool that France involved great Olympians from other countries during their ceremony.  I don't recall anyone else ever really doing that.  It was a classy move, but it did kill my Nadal, Serena, Carl Lewis, and Nadia are all on a boat joke.  

Yeah, Celine is Quebecoise, so she's fluent in the French language and culture. Her speaking accent/dialect is quite different from Parisian, though. Much like the English, you don't detect her accent too easily when she sings. There's something weird about singing that tends to dampen accents unless they're stressed for effect.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of hers (at all) because of the style of music, but she belted that one out beautifully.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Satchmo also celebrated her catalog.

Always loved how his voice and trumpet shared the exact same vibrato ... at least later in life.

One thing she's especially famous for is how she pronounces her "Rs" when singing. You hear it really well in "Non, je ne regrette rien," another song we've all heard but maybe don't know who sings it.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

It’s 330 am and I woke up to take a leak. I’m watching women’s judo. As I often do I wonder how different lady athletes would be in bed. I’m thinking these judo women’s would be fun in the sack

Well, I don't think talking back to the Judo lady's would be in your best interests.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Our girls, the Xu sisters, are putting up a fight in badminton, but the Chinese are freaking awesome.  

Can’t find that on the peacock hub?  NM it was down the list.  

Edited by Hook1997

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

There's something weird about singing that tends to dampen accents unless they're stressed for effect.

accents tend to take effort which singing overpowers. the standard american accent really isn't much of one because it's lazy (kinda apropos)

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I don't think talking back to the Judo lady's would be in your best interests.  

I like those moves when they get on the mat. They all had nice asses and the commentator talked about their strong grips.
Watching the women's cycling time trial. The American fell 3 times in the rain and then had to swap bikes with a mechanical issue. Yipes.

Her bike replaced dude fell on his face too.

Dont know if you saw the clip of Dygart’s wreck in a previous wreck where she went over a guardrail and down a hill. Yikes. Fell in the rain on the cobbles and still got bronze.
  • Haha 1

So watching the commentators: the pool in Paris is more shallow than the pool 4 years ago. It makes a difference bc the deeper the pool the less turblulance. More turbulence slower times. We won’t see as many WR but when we do that will be pretty fucking amazing.

9 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

"But if it really had to happen, if I really had to lose it, I couldn't imagine a better place," Tamberi wrote. "It will remain forever in the riverbed of the City of Love."

Yeah, I’m sure his wife is buying that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"But if it really had to happen, if I really had to lose it, I couldn't imagine a better place," Tamberi wrote. "It will remain forever in the riverbed of the City of Love."

Yeah, I’m sure his wife is buying that. 

Women are known for their forgive and forget attitude.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I just came here to say that field hockey color commentator Suzanne Bush seems awesome. And by awesome I mean rude af.

I always try to catch a couple of dutch field hockey games every olympics

ANP-451916722.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

US women 0-17-1 in last 18 vs Argentina field hockey. Doesn’t sound ideal.

The Argentines are very good at field hockey ... cuz they need something to do when they're giving their mounts a break and not playing polo.

• Hook 'Em 1