2024 Paris Olympics

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I was just using Vegas as an example, and they wouldn't do that there either, nor in Chicago, they could use Hawaii or California without issue, the precedent has been set for that.  What is more likely for an artificial effort would be a country without those kinds of locations, such as this.   There are only a handful of places in the world with both the money to host the Olympics, and the lack of ability to find a suitable surfing location within their own reach.  Saudi Arabia is one with the money (but I'd like to think political opposition to this would stand for many reasons).  If say South Africa got a games, I don't think anyone is overly eager to get out in the water with fucking sharks, so there's that.  

UAE already has a pretty badass artificial setup. Also regarding SA,  Hawaii has a fuck ton of sharks 😂.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

UAE already has a pretty badass artificial setup. Also regarding SA,  Hawaii has a fuck ton of sharks 😂.

Yeah, I was referring to Shark Week Great Whites I see in South Africa, yeah, I'll pass on that, but go ahead.  

Vegas is actually interesting, at this point they have many of the facilities in place they could make a bid, it'd be a hell of a party.  It also made me laugh to think of having the Italian team headquarters at the Venetian, or the French headquarters at Paris Paris.  I'm sure both teams would feel like they never left home.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Haley Batten of Park City, Utah, breaks Rio gold medalist Jenny Rissveds of Sweden on the last lap to nab silver for the US in women's mountain biking.

Pauline Ferrand-Prevot grabs gold for the Froggies.

The French gal won by nearly 3 minutes in an hour and 20 minute race, that's impressive.  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I wasn’t looking at his crotch real time, no. It was texted to me from a real lunatic right winger who also doesn’t want frontal male nudity shown during the Olympics. Which, could easily be avoidable had we not had a tranny drag show during the opening of an international athletics competition.

Reported and negged. 

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

12 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

They don't really show it on TV but they are shooting at 70 meters!!

Yeah…I wish they had a person to explain these types of things for the games to the casual fan…incredibly impressive performances so far. Going to be a good final.

Watching some boxing today. Roscoe Hill (51 kg) moves forward against a legit opponent in Omis Ahmasisafa, but I have some reservations and concerns about his loose fighting style. It's not very tight and he telegraphs his jab quiet a bit.  He is definitely athletic and accurate with his throws, but he'd deliver a lot more power and take fewer hits if he kept his legs better positioned and tightened up his defense. (Both tied to his loose style)

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Good job Haley Batten. Silver. Best ever U.S. finish in Women’s MTB.

Silver was a badass result after flatting on the third or fourth lap. By the sixth lap, Haley had powered her way back up to a chasing group that would turn into the race for second spot on the podium. Nobody was gonna catch Pauline, so congrats to Haley for a great comeback for silver. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

South Korea holds off China to win its 10th straight gold in women’s team archery.

Came down to a shoot-off. Fun.

And again, Gold Zone on Peacock is awesome to see tons of sports and basically all medal moments.

I didn't think I'd ever watch skateboarding and judo at the same time, it's pretty cool.  

Not mine, but something in response to all the idiots bitching about the opening ceremonies.

Dearest Gentle Reader, 

The headless woman was Marie Antoinette. She ruled over France.

Also, it was not the Last Supper. It was a depiction of an ancient Greek Bacchanal… cause Greece / Olympics.

It was not Death on a pale horse. It was Sequana, Goddess of the Seine, the River in which the boat precession took place.

Best of luck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

why is it so fucking hard for you to read a thread first before you post something? 90% of your posts are memes posted hours and days ago.

Username checks out with the rage and all that. Anyways I don't have time to read thru all that other bullshit. Fuck outta here 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am actually impressed with the NBC/Peacock set up.  I like that you can watch things replayed, multiview, and all the medal moments.  

This really is how it should be done. I like gymnastics, track and field and the big viewer sports but I also like boxing, wrestling, skateboarding, surfing. I felt like my wide interests simply weren't really being met and I had started to lose interest broadly.

I don't feel that way at all anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2

I do wish the announcers during the women’s volleyball wouldn’t talk so damn much. I’m probably being overly critical but I like hearing the crowd and watching the strategy without the constant yapping during the actual play. They never shut up. 

I know its the Netherlands and they have just a slightly  different take on crime and rehabilitation, but gaddamn allowing someone who had sex with a 12 year old to rep your country.

• Rage+1 3

Has nbc completely axed the Olympic song? Usually when it goes to commercial it’ll play the song and name “proud sponsors of team USA” while showing some cool countryside shot of the host nation. Haven’t heard it once in the first few days..:

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I love women’s beach volleyball 

czech blondie is cute 

They didnt waste much  material  when designing those US outfits. Perhaps they could lend one to that Czech cutie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am actually impressed with the NBC/Peacock set up.  I like that you can watch things replayed, multiview, and all the medal moments.  

It takes forever on my stream to clear up to a definition I can actually watch. Im running 2 gig Google Fiber. It's frustrating.

Posted (edited)

Since there isn't a dedicated Surfing thread I'll keep my comments in here.

Sucks the waves are largely crap today.

Was chatting with a surf buddy and we both hope it goes big at some point so folks less familiar with surfing can see what this wave really looks like. We agree it will greatly increase the interest in surfing and of course, we want big waves with these names on waves.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I can stream a movie on any other app in 4k instantly. Peacock has been a beating so far. 

Wonder if that's a region bandwidth issue. Glad I'm not facing it.

Edited by BurntEyes

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I can stream a movie on any other app in 4k instantly. Peacock has been a beating so far. 

Peacock is a bit slow to load or sharpen for me, as well, and I'm in Idaho. Other streaming services I've used are generally much faster, so my guess is it's a Peacock thing, although the issue seems to vary per location.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Since there isn't a dedicated Surfing thread I'll keep my comments in here.

Sucks the waves are largely crap today.

Was chatting with a surf buddy and we both hope it goes big at some point so folks less familiar with surfing can see what this wave really looks like. We agree it will greatly increase the interest in surfing and of course, we want big waves with these names on waves.

Wonder if that's a region bandwidth issue. Glad I'm not facing it.

We don’t need anymore interest in surfing. Every fucking break in the world is overcrowded with cooks going straight and burning everyone lol. 

rant over. I wanna Teauphoo go off code red style 

• Haha 1

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

We don’t need anymore interest in surfing. Every fucking break in the world is overcrowded with cooks going straight and burning everyone lol. 

rant over. I wanna Teauphoo go off code red style 

You're not wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I wasn’t looking at his crotch real time, no. It was texted to me from a real lunatic right winger who also doesn’t want frontal male nudity shown during the Olympics. Which, could easily be avoidable had we not had a tranny drag show during the opening of an international athletics competition.

You texted yourself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1