2024 Paris Olympics

This fencing gold medal match is wild. Tied 14-14 (they go to 15). Twice they hit each other at the same time and the ref had to go to the replay. Both times he said it was simultaneous. On the 3rd try the Hong Kong guy wins but the Italian coach is pissed. Very dramatic.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I tend to shy away from most reef breaks. But this one being 2-3 feet of water is insane. I surfed some nice reef breaks in PR.  But these days I’m more long boarding slow and chill 

I was in Bocus del Toro one year when a hurricane hit the gulf. (Been over a decade don't remember which one)

Bunch of pros and film crews flew in to hit Paunch Reef. (Which is weird because it's in the middle of the water not very close to the beach)

I paddled out, looked at it, noped my happy ass back to the beach.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Field hockey kind of sucks.

I watched the France-Netherlands women's match for the eye candy and was not disappointed. 

But someone who knows the sport explain to me why the sticks are so short. The player has to bend way over any time they play the ball to the point they're practically on their knees just to pass. One would think they would have figured out how to play more upright at some point.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

This fencing gold medal match is wild. Tied 14-14 (they go to 15). Twice they hit each other at the same time and the ref had to go to the replay. Both times he said it was simultaneous. On the 3rd try the Hong Kong guy wins but the Italian coach is pissed. Very dramatic.

I still don't understand. they have a computer that tells which hit first but they they go to a replay to have a human potentially change it?  it seems completely bass-akwards stupid but maybe the whole point is to create fake drama.

46 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I watched the France-Netherlands women's match for the eye candy and was not disappointed. 

But someone who knows the sport explain to me why the sticks are so short. The player has to bend way over any time they play the ball to the point they're practically on their knees just to pass. One would think they would have figured out how to play more upright at some point.

Better view of the women's asses if they are bent over..

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I still don't understand. they have a computer that tells which hit first but they they go to a replay to have a human potentially change it?  it seems completely bass-akwards stupid but maybe the whole point is to create fake drama.

Crowdstrike did the computer update, so it couldn't figure that out, but their bags did get to Pittsburgh.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

@BurntEyes where do you think they'll have the surf competition in '28? I'm not a surfer, but used to love watching Mavericks when it was still a thing.

First guess is North Shore, quite possibly Pipeline in Hawaii. It's a strong bet. There's Del Mar and Tresles below that.. I'd bet heavily it's one of those 3. Del Mar for consistency. Pipeline because pipeline, a fast heavy consistent break.

Tresles is a common surf competition spot. 

Edit (2) - though a nightmare logistically Cortez would be epic, but it's not gonna happen.

An interesting thought for mass people appeal might be Huntington Beach. 

More editing cause I over think every thing. Pipeline is insanely close to the beach. From a viewer perspective that, to me, would be the most appealing. I might try to make that happen.

hawaii-pipeline-photos.jpg.761e7caec357bf31eacfd7791b6c0d32.jpg

:::narrator::: It's going to be North Shore.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

First guess is North Shore quiet possibly Pipeline in Hawaii. It's a strong bet. There's Del Mar and Tresles below that.. I'd bet heavily it's one of those 3. Del Mar for consistency. Pipeline because pipeline, a fast heavy consistent break.

Tresses is a common surf competition spot. 

Pipe doesn’t break in the summer.

Trestles is kinda a hike in.

HB pier.  Newport.  Somewhere with a south exposure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Pipe doesn’t break in the summer.

Trestles is kinda a hike in.

HB pier.  Newport.  Somewhere with a south exposure.

Shit I brain farted on Pipeline not breaking in summer. Dammit

And I edited my post HB seems like a really good fit.

However, the this Olympics location ain't exactly easy to get in and out of and all the spectators are on boats so Tresles isn't out to the question.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

And for those that don't know, Medina is a jackass. (Edit - but he's really fucking great at surfing)

I know the announcers have talked about it, but they aren't exaggerating the danger of this wave at all. My kook ass knows surfers 10x better than I ever hoped to be who would not even surf it. It's that fucking narly.

And when it goes code red, there aren't a lot of pro-surfers that can handle it.

Danger is their business  @smuggs

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Shit I brain farted on Pipeline not breaking in summer. Dammit

And I edited my post HB seems like a really good fit.

However, the this Olympics location ain't exactly easy to get in and out of and all the spectators are on boats so Tresles isn't out to the question.

I would love HB quick drive for me to watch. I live in Hermosa.  Trestles is cool but fuck then lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not too often team USA goes a day of competition without at least one gold medal earned. No star spangled banner today to close out NBC’s broadcast 

We’re racking up the first and second loser medals tho.

Need a Michael Phelps badly to pump up those golds

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

That will be the enduring image from these Olympics and it happened 15,000 km from Paris. Tahiti is an awesome place and Teahupoo is one of the most fierce waves in the world and likely the heaviest. So glad that something great like this has come out of the surfing competition.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

this is a bit off topic, and likely not of much interest here, but in my corner of the world, you sometimes get these pleas for athletes that are eligible to compete for African nations vs European nations or the US, to stick with African side... and then you get shit like this, and it reminds you why some people rightly would rather do otherwise...

.... this on the heels of this, from 4 years ago

Edited by naija
  • Rage+1 4

I’m watching this too. Question.  Is there anyone there from NK other than athletes and coaches. I cannot imagine any fans allowed to go watch.  Imagine reppin your country and no one is there to cheer you.  Regardless what happens. State media will say PRK won all the gold. 

26 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

This North Korea vs China table tennis game is like the Super Bowl to the crowd.  They are all into this like crazy, including some blonde white lady waving a China flag acting all crazy?  

That was interesting, maybe just a big ping pong fan, who knows.  

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Christ. This NBC prime time show is awful. It’s always been awful. Remember when this was the only way to get the Olympics and we had to deal with it? I am so glad this isn’t how I am forced to watch anymore. 

Stunning how much better the live broadcasts and streaming are. 

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, but those are not real guns. Glorified pellet guns. If they were AR's? Hell yeah we win.

It's not fair, the fucking Norwegians get a drive by competition in the winter Olympics, we need ATVs and a gallon of hooch in this competition.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

It's not fair, the fucking Norwegians get a drive by competition in the winter Olympics, we need ATVs and a gallon of hooch in this competition.  

Confused Little Girl GIF

I almost had it. Then I didn't.