2024 Paris Olympics

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Incredible the people of Normandy do this for our veterans. Outstanding. 

I love that the kids in Normandy are into it and keeping up with their history. I know we love to shit on France but our histories are so entwined. We wouldn't have existed without their help and they would've ceased to exist without ours. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I love that the kids in Normandy are into it and keeping up with their history. I know we love to shit on France but our histories are so entwined. We wouldn't have existed without their help and they would've ceased to exist without ours. 

I'll never stop shitting on France, but it's never actually done with real animosity or vitriol. It's done in the same "disdain" as they have for "Americans". 

That's what happens when two very proud cultures, despite any historical allegiance, reflect upon one another. Sorta like, I talk more shit about the people I love most than people I dislike and typically do it to their face. They do the same.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

was just there in May... one of the moments that really got me was at the museum in Bayeux, a large group of French elementary school children in one section, sitting on the floor, listening to a teacher/docent explaining why and how the Germans exterminated children, usually first. obviously disturbing for anyone... but seeing tous ces enfants paying attention and listening intently to the lecturer explaining it...well, it was quite the impactful moment. 

there was truly a feeling throughout Normandie that they love and welcome Americans. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, mchookem said:

was just there in May... one of the moments that really got me was at the museum in Bayeux, a large group of French elementary school children in one section, sitting on the floor, listening to a teacher/docent explaining why and how the Germans exterminated children, usually first. obviously disturbing for anyone... but seeing tous ces enfants paying attention and listening intently to the lecturer explaining it...well, it was quite the impactful moment. 

there was truly a feeling throughout Normandie that they love and welcome Americans. 

We are trying to get the oldest to become more fluent in French (she's about to take French III this year) so that when she graduates, we can take her to Paris for her graduation and she can be our translator. Wife and I went when she turned 40 but only stayed in Paris. The Olympics really make us want to return. The one thing I would love to do that they probably wouldn't is take a day trip to Normandy and Omaha Beach. We also want to visit Mont Saint Michel so I would try to work a way to get to both.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We are trying to get the oldest to become more fluent in French (she's about to take French III this year) so that when she graduates, we can take her to Paris for her graduation and she can be our translator. Wife and I went when she turned 40 but only stayed in Paris. The Olympics really make us want to return. The one thing I would love to do that they probably wouldn't is take a day trip to Normandy and Omaha Beach. We also want to visit Mont Saint Michel so I would try to work a way to get to both.  

we also visited MSM! was literally the most incredible (manmade) sight i've ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Posted for the third time now across various threads. You guys are really obsessed with that vaulter's dick.

It just because now we know we'd all fail at the pole vault. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

If your oldest is 40 and hasn’t picked up French yet you may want to get a new plan. 

• Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I've had the replay of the bicycle road race from this morning on all evening while doing some work stuff and it's been really cool. They did a big loop through the countryside out SW of Paris, going by Versailles on the way out of town and on the way back.  After coming back into the city, they rolled through the Louvre courtyard right in front of the pyramid and are finishing it off with 3 laps up and down Montmartre passing right in front of the Sacre Coeur with its stairs packed with fans.  The sidewalks for the city part are packed everywhere.  The only thing that would make it better is if they had to ride down from the Sacre Coeur on the John Wick staircase.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's not just Normandy. I attended a French high school in Chantilly just north of Paris as an exchange student for a year and was never, not once, met with any sort of hostility. Au contraire, mon frère, my classmates were welcoming, curious about life in the US, and especially happy to meet someone from fucking Texas. I made quite a few lifelong friends over there.

Contrary to popular American opinion, the French DO NOT hate us. I think a lot of that truly ill-informed opinion derives primarily from ugly Americans behaving badly in Paris, acting as if they own the place and showing outward disrespect for a different culture/language in a city that's already overrun by tourists. Think about it this way: If your only experience in the US was visiting Manhattan, do you think you'd have a well-rounded view of the US?

To be honest, I think some of it is also simply because we speak English and have, by default, adopted some of the English attitudes toward the French...despite their saving our asses in the war for independence. The funny thing about that is they never mention that, but we LOVE to lord it over them that they'd be speaking German if not for us.

Go over there and have a great time. Your daughter's three years of French probably won't be perfect, but I can guarantee the French (outside of Paris) will appreciate any gesture to meet them halfway. When I lived over there 30+ years ago, it was hard to find anyone who spoke English, even in Paris. The last time I went to Paris, that had changed, and most publicly facing people who deal with tourists do. Once you get outside of the city, you'll definitely need your daughter to translate. 

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll never stop shitting on France, but it's never actually done with real animosity or vitriol. It's done in the same "disdain" as they have for "Americans". 

That's what happens when two very proud cultures, despite any historical allegiance, reflect upon one another. Sorta like, I talk more shit about the people I love most than people I dislike and typically do it to their face. They do the same.

The French don't harbor any special animosity toward the US. Again, that's some contrived bullshit held over from the bitterness between de Gaulle and Churchill that we somehow decided to adopt 75 years ago. I'm not going to rehash what happened in WW2, but de Gaulle (despite his being a pompous ass) had good reasons to be pissed at Churchill.

As for Franco-American relations, there have indeed been some foreign policy disagreements, but again, I stress there is no deep-seated vitriol between Americans and the French. They love our music, individuality, disdain for English-style social strata/caste systems, movies, slang, and just about everything about American culture.

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

I'm so happy you got outside of Paris on that trip and hope you enjoyed eating des crêpes (jambons et fromages sont mieux que les sucrées) en Normandie et Bretagne and drinking du cidre. Nom-nom. Le Mont-Saint-Michel est un endroit tout à fait extraordinaire et magique. What did you think of the gigantic fucking fireplace en haut?

Try to get out to the Pointe du Raz the next time you go; it'll literally blow you away.

Edited by bolverk
grammaire
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, WBT said:

I've had the replay of the bicycle road race from this morning on all evening while doing some work stuff and it's been really cool. They did a big loop through the countryside out SW of Paris, going by Versailles on the way out of town and on the way back.  After coming back into the city, they rolled through the Louvre courtyard right in front of the pyramid and are finishing it off with 3 laps up and down Montmartre passing right in front of the Sacre Coeur with its stairs packed with fans.  The sidewalks for the city part are packed everywhere.  The only thing that would make it better is if they had to ride down from the Sacre Coeur on the John Wick staircase.

Remco has been on an incredible run of form lately. Once he launched it was never in doubt. It's a bit of a shame for WVA though, he looked fully recovered from his crash this spring, but once Remco checked out he couldn't go. Marked the shit out of MvDP though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Remco has been on an incredible run of form lately. Once he launched it was never in doubt. It's a bit of a shame for WVA though, he looked fully recovered from his crash this spring, but once Remco checked out he couldn't go. Marked the shit out of MvDP though.

But how could a 240 lbs cyclist do?

• Haha 2

The men’s gymnastics rings is on. Every time, that blows me away. In the absolute best shape of my life….I might have been able to pull myself up onto the rings. That’s it. Watching them do the iron cross, and pull up into a midair plank? Fuck. It’s amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

The golf is getting tight.  Rahm was cruising at the turn but the wheels are falling off.  Tied with Fleetwood after 12.  Matsuyama one shot back, seven guys within three shots coming down the stretch.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1

If anyone is interested the sailing coverage has been pretty fantastic. The sniffs unfortunately didn't have much wind but the mixed dinghy has been pretty nice conditions.

You have to listen to Gary Jobson, which is vomit inducing, but still

• Hook 'Em 1