2024 Paris Olympics

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Now if she can only improve on that start ...

Yeah, it's tough to watch. Her top end is electric but she's given the race away before it begins. Hits close to home as that's why I was never competitive in anything short. Plenty of speed but not enough strength to get my skinny ass going.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it's tough to watch. Her top end is electric but she's given the race away before it begins. Hits close to home as that's why I was never competitive in anything short. Plenty of speed but not enough strength to get my skinny ass going.

Usually, short, powerfully built sprinters like Sha'Carri are quick out of the blocks (think Ben Johnson, Christian Coleman or Ewa Swoboda), but Sha'Carri seems stuck in sand at times. Her top end speed, lift and turnover are among the best, if not the best.

Start is the only thing I worry about for Noah Lyles. Once he gets into his steps, nobody can match him.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Start is the only thing I worry about for Noah Lyles. Once he gets into his steps, nobody can match him

My Virginia homie. You can definitely tell he stepped down from the 200, where all of us slow starters go.

It definitely is interesting that Richardson is slow out with her body type. It almost seems mental. She has crazy high turnover though. If she can just get off the blocks quick she is unbeatable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's not how it works. Whomever wins the World Championships or Olympics gets billed as the fastest man/woman in the world ... until the next World Championships or Olympics.

Fair enough.  Kind of dumb, but if thems the “rules” so be it. 

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Fair enough.  Kind of dumb, but if thems the “rules” so be it. 

Well, if you think about it, all you can really say is who was the fastest that day ... and the Olympics trumps all other events. Even three- or four-time world champions would trade every one of those medals for an Olympic gold if that were the one they were missing.

5 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Do they drug test these Chinese swimmers?

WADA defers to the Chinese government. So no, not really. Discussion in swimming thread.

15 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

3x3 basketball is one of the worst ever Olympic sports. Needs to get in the bin. 

Can't be said enough.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Well, if you think about it, all you can really say is who was the fastest that day

Yep, that’s how I look at it. Some sprinters are better under different conditions but you know who was the fastest in that race. 

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Scheffler has to wait to see if Fleetwood will birdie or bogie on 17 or 18

Oh? Would you be interested in making a huge wager on the outcome? While we're at it, how about we lay some money on the women's 100m final? I'm willing to put down $200,000 on another Texas-Ex, Julien Alfred.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Oh? Would you be interested in making a huge wager on the outcome? While we're at it, how about we lay some money on the women's 100m final? I'm willing to put down $200,000 on another Texas-Ex, Julien Alfred.

I’m pulling for Scottie obviously.  And it looks like Fleetwood is about to bogey 17

Edited by Sbbruin

14 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I'm watching the replay of the womens road bike race. When Faulkner made her move at the end, why didn't the other chasers immediately try to run her down? 

Because they were empty. No gas in the tank.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I'm watching the replay of the womens road bike race. When Faulkner made her move at the end, why didn't the other chasers immediately try to run her down? 

I guess they were just fucking tired. I read the result earlier, but I also just watched the last 45 mins and that was an amazing performance. Thats the kind of shit that makes the Olympics worth  watching. What a fucking badass that gal is. She did all the work to catch the leaders, and then made everyone sniff her farts. Later bitches, I gotta gold to win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Are you seriously asking why the other racers didn't just go faster?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Are you seriously asking why the other racers didn't just go faster?

That's the running meme in r/peloton. "Why didn't they just pedal faster?"

The end of the women’s road cycling race was nuts. Incredible to watch Kristen Faulkner make her move and very quickly leave the other 3 cyclists far behind her with no hope of closing the gap. Performances like that make the Olympics great.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

58 minutes ago, G650 said:

Because they were empty. No gas in the tank.

This ☝️...

Watched the replay about an hr ago. She was definitely stronger than others throughout the race and chasing down leaders. When it was just her and the Belgian trying to catch the two leaders, they commented multiple X's that the only time her and the Belgian gained any time was when she was pulling. The Belgian was gassed and she made the perfect move with 3K left to put the hammer on the others. They tried at first to go with her, but they knew that was only going to gas them more. I think they all conceded right away to ride for 2nd/3rd right then. 

It's even more amazing that she wasn't even supposed to be in the race. Only got in due to another US rider wanting to be more ready for the track. More impressive is that she really only decide to become professional about 4 yrs ago. 

She gave a great post race interview about her circumstances and strategy today. Can't wait to see her on the velodrome

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2