2024 Paris Olympics

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

Watching the surfing replay. I can’t wait to see where they place them in 2028. I sure hope it’s local here to watch. Great contest all around love watching Tahiti on tv other than Surfline 

I'm sure it will be Huntington Beach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

55 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm sure it will be Huntington Beach.

43 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I feel like Trestles is more dependable.

It's funny, my bro was asking me last night where I thought it would be. My smart ass answer was probably fucking Oahu. But my serious answer was Huntington or Trestles. I think Huntington would probably be it personally but who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pipeline can be dead dead in early August.

Huntington would be cool to allow surfers and fans to at least feel like they're part of the full Olympic experience. Just would be a bummer if they're stuck trying to rip up some 3 footers.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Pipeline can be dead dead in early August.

Fixed.

My choice would be backside Rincon, but there is no way the locals let that circus in.

If I were a betting man I'd say Huntington just because it's the default place.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, G650 said:

Fixed.

My choice would be backside Rincon, but there is no way the locals let that circus in.

If I were a betting man I'd say Huntington just because it's the default place.

Rincon in the summer would be a lake.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Rincon in the summer would be a lake.

Not on backside, south swells give a perfect left. I used to surf it all the time when I lived in Santa Barbara.

But it's a non starter as I said, all the bajiliionaires ther ewould never let it happen.

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

US just got 2 gold medals to even up the medal count with China. I saw the 1500M win by Hocker. Who was the other one?

Probably US wrestler Amit Elor, who pretty much destroyed everyone in her path on the way to gold.

We are ahead by two golds now. And yeah, Amit Elor crushed it, she might be the most dominant athlete at the games.  

China is going to keep racking up in diving and there’s some table tennis but these last few days are friendly for us. Would be nice if swimming hadn’t underperformed.

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We are ahead by two golds now. And yeah, Amit Elor crushed it, she might be the most dominant athlete at the games.  

China is going to keep racking up in diving and there’s some table tennis but these last few days are friendly for us. Would be nice if swimming hadn’t underperformed.

Basketball will assuredly be 1 and likely 2. W soccer has a chance to pick up 1. 

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

She's crazy young too. Only 20, but her interview post gold was amazingly mature, like beyond most people even twice her age. 

It was really great.

Edited by BurntEyes

5 hours ago, G650 said:

It's funny, my bro was asking me last night where I thought it would be. My smart ass answer was probably fucking Oahu. But my serious answer was Huntington or Trestles. I think Huntington would probably be it personally but who knows.

We talked about that on the Surfing thread. I started out North Shore and by the end talked myself back to HB or Tresles. I'll say this, as soon as I can I'm booking that Hyatt property in HB. Great property and it's a short bike ride to the pier/has a pedestrian bridge to the beach. 

Stayed there often in my profession past. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, G650 said:

I’m gonna say it’s south shore Oahu.  Only for higher predictability for decent waves.  Still think Trestles has some logistical challenges with the media/spectator horde/infrastructure and you would have to applied last week to get a permit thru the coastal commission.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 hours ago, WBT said:

Cuban Maijan Lopez won his 5th straight olympic gold in greco-roman wrestling, then left his boots in the ring to announce his retirement, Undertaker style.

mijain-lopez-paris-olympics-2.jpg?resize

ed27a065e68353de8e12135c3b84d5e4_md.jpg

Really cool seeing the French crowd give him his due.  Neat moment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

I’m gonna say it’s south shore Oahu.  Only for higher predictability for decent waves.  Still think Trestles has some logistical challenges with the media/spectator horde/infrastructure and you would have to applied last week to get a permit thru the coastal commission.

South shore aligns pretty well with the direction set by Teahupo'o. It's probably a Surf thread discussion but in my somewhat uniformed (never surfed either) Tresles doesn't seem particularly worse than Teahupo'o logistically.

Speaking of logistics, HB is the MOST "fan friendly" by a good stretch. I could see them going HB in an effort to get larger fan participation for surfing in general. Attending an event can change opinions and support levels and the folks leading surfing likely recognize that reality. 

I'm just spit balling, but South Shore = current standard. Tresles - cooler for surfing nerds. HB - Broader fan base engagement and perhaps growth therein.

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

On another note, not disrespecting the athletes nor fans in anyway, but bikes going in a circle is only mildly more interesting to me than 3x3. 

They should race them with worn down huffys. 

make it more entertaining. 

im sure these bikes are perfect and prolly cost 10-20k.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Someone else already said this, but I'm done with NBC highlighting diving so much. We get it, the Chinese are miles ahead of everyone else. It's not interesting anymore.

But they invented a word in mandarin for make splash disappear technique!

26 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I gotta ask - WTF is up with Peacock running ads?

And I don't just mean in natural breaks, but literally while games are going on?

YES, holy fuck.  I was watching the USA-Poland MVB match his morning. Cut to ad at 18-15, come back and it's like 22-19.  What's the fucking point?

Worse was when it cut to an ad, and when the ad finished, a TO was called and went to commercial so it was just the middle of a commercial. 

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Australia water polo has a guy named Chaz Poot lol. 

Water polo is both insanely impressive and not very exciting on TV. 

Yeah, it’s one of the most demanding and athletic sports around but I agree it’s hard to watch.  

The Olympics desperately needs a cull and not additions.  A few principles I’d go with. Starting with most important, being an OG event trumps all. 

1. Any original (as in Ancient Greek) event is safe if it’s already in.  Wrestling and boxing stay, you don’t get to drop the OG events. 

2. If there’s a higher and more prestigious international venue, it goes. This sucks because I like the sports, but still.  We have the World Cup, we have Majors, we have Grand Slams. The games need to be without a doubt the best athletes, if you consider sitting out the games in a sport that means the Olympics aren’t the venue for the sport. 

3. No animals. Bye equestrian.  Bring back chariot racing and we will talk. Modern pentathlon gets a waiver because it’s got four other disciplines and the test to be a Napoleonic courier is super cool— no arguing that. But horse dancing has to go. 

4.  If there are two versions of a sport in the games, the older and more prestigious stays.  Goodbye 3x3, table tennis, beach volleyball, etc. Time to winnow adjective sports that are more like recreational activities than Olympics worthy. 

5. If there are “judges” vice “referees,” it needs to go.  We can grandfather in gymnastics and ice skating to keep the ratings up, but breakdance and artistic swimming and the like gotta go. 

6.  Finally calories expended. There’s gotta be a cutoff. I love you shooting and archery, but that’s an impressive skill and not athleticism.  Combine it for modern pentathlon or biathalon and we are cooking. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The Olympics desperately needs a cull and not additions.  A few principles I’d go with. Starting with most important, being an OG event trumps all. 

1. Any original (as in Ancient Greek) event is safe if it’s already in.  Wrestling and boxing stay, you don’t get to drop the OG events. 

2. If there’s a higher and more prestigious international venue, it goes. This sucks because I like the sports, but still.  We have the World Cup, we have Majors, we have Grand Slams. The games need to be without a doubt the best athletes, if you consider sitting out the games in a sport that means the Olympics aren’t the venue for the sport. 

3. No animals. Bye equestrian.  Bring back chariot racing and we will talk. Modern pentathlon gets a waiver because it’s got four other disciplines and the test to be a Napoleonic courier is super cool— no arguing that. But horse dancing has to go. 

4.  If there are two versions of a sport in the games, the older and more prestigious stays.  Goodbye 3x3, table tennis, beach volleyball, etc. Time to winnow adjective sports that are more like recreational activities than Olympics worthy. 

5. If there are “judges” vice “referees,” it needs to go.  We can grandfather in gymnastics and ice skating to keep the ratings up, but breakdance and artistic swimming and the like gotta go. 

6.  Finally calories expended. There’s gotta be a cutoff. I love you shooting and archery, but that’s an impressive skill and not athleticism.  Combine it for modern pentathlon or biathalon and we are cooking. 

And others can transfer to the X-Games. BMX, Surfing, Skateboarding, etc.

expand it if need be (you named a few) but yeah, enough expansion.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Why?  You're free to not watch the sports you don't like.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why?  You're free to not watch the sports you don't like.

Well, if you're going to play that card:

From now on and for the rest of your life, no complaining or criticizing anything that doesn't directly impact you. After all, you're free to not watch/partake.

Since that's your argument here, you must apply it broadly and evenly to all things, else the advice you just gave would seem thoughtless and possibly, ahem, hypocritical.

• Hook 'Em 1