2024 Paris Olympics

34 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why?  You're free to not watch the sports you don't like.

I’ve done a self-inventory and it turns out I am overly invested and have inappropriately strong feelings about the outcomes, organization, and analysis of spectator sporting events that have no tangible impact on my own life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

One thing the American tv coverage should 86 is all the extremely annoying high pitched shrieking from those shitty announcers during every race or competition….even minutes after they are over.

jfc, just stfu with the fake attempt to generate more “excitement “.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

And others can transfer to the X-Games. BMX, Surfing, Skateboarding, etc.
expand it if need be (you named a few) but yeah, enough expansion.

I’ve been against adding anything decided solely by judges for a long time.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On another note, not disrespecting the athletes nor fans in anyway, but bikes going in a circle is only mildly more interesting to me than 3x3. 

Much more fun to watch in person. And riding on a Vélodrome track is a blast.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Maybe, but it is a lot of fun to play.

I'd much rather watch indoor soccer.

While we are ranting...

$50k bikes going in a circle is out.

Dancing and cheer events need to go to. Specifically water pom/cheer competition, twirling and break dancing are all out.

I like really skate boarding but that's not the ant hill I am choosing to die on.

3x3 sucks, it's out too.

I'm biased but surfing stays!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Much more fun to watch in person. And riding on a Vélodrome track is a blast.

So are most forms of auto and motorcycle racing and I'll take a weekend at a track on a motorcycle over riding on a Velodrome any day. At $50k I could also buy a LOT of track bike.

2024-YAM-YZFR1MN-US-BWM2-ACT-1431-01.JPG.thumb.webp.157c3b09b6fb7fd059ee225a2c78bacd.webp3b3280a0-c765-47e0-a730-d5edb60f34e6.thumb.jpg.fa36943027706634efb0eb1d53ce64e5.jpg2023-DUC-Panigale-V4S_1200x1200_crop_center.thumb.jpg.dd14167c2ff7eb0310e181429426dc70.jpgDucati-Panigale-V4R-MY23-overview-gallery-08-1920x1080.thumb.jpg.0ac0ab7bbdd0ef2184484dd116b9044b.jpg2024-HONDA-CBR1000RR-R-COLORS.thumb.jpg.89d26b77f3601d4acab2382078ad2785.jpg

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

In the field hockey semifinal vs Argentina, Netherlands's Joosje Burg took a ball to the nose from point blank range.  The game was delayed five minutes for treatment and to clean up the blood.  She's a hockey player so she later returned to the game.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0ac668f4ced16b5aa8995a19cc85a88e.png

image.thumb.png.1e49d6ab14e47ab19ba9b08d6ead31dc.png

Here she is in happier times

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

5. If there are “judges” vice “referees,” it needs to go.  We can grandfather in gymnastics and ice skating to keep the ratings up, but breakdance and artistic swimming and the like gotta go. 

Artistic swimming is terrifying and nightmare fuel 

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I was about to say the same thing. I've never done acid but I feel like this is what an acid trip would feel like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Okay, now I understand. 

I thought that I heard someone saw that “artistic rimming was coming up”.

I felt that I should at least stick around to see what the fuss was all about.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mchookem said:

haha i just love Kornacki with the medal breakdown like he does elections 😄

Kornacki level setting on USA vs China  remaining golds is why USA can never let China take over the world.
We got opportunities in a bunch of sprints, basketball and volleyball.

They got… ping pong and diving 

On 8/6/2024 at 12:10 PM, G650 said:

Not on backside, south swells give a perfect left. I used to surf it all the time when I lived in Santa Barbara.

But it's a non starter as I said, all the bajiliionaires ther ewould never let it happen.

I haven’t seen shit on Surfline in a month up that way. But that peeling right would be legit 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 8/6/2024 at 5:03 PM, BurntEyes said:

We talked about that on the Surfing thread. I started out North Shore and by the end talked myself back to HB or Tresles. I'll say this, as soon as I can I'm booking that Hyatt property in HB. Great property and it's a short bike ride to the pier/has a pedestrian bridge to the beach. 

Stayed there often in my profession past. 

That’s a legit property. I live in Redondo but I’ll go down and stay there just so I don’t have to get up early if the surf is gonna hit 

• Hook 'Em 1

So are most forms of auto and motorcycle racing and I'll take a weekend at a track on a motorcycle over riding on a Velodrome any day. At $50k I could also buy a LOT of track bike.
2024-YAM-YZFR1MN-US-BWM2-ACT-1431-01.JPG.thumb.webp.157c3b09b6fb7fd059ee225a2c78bacd.webp3b3280a0-c765-47e0-a730-d5edb60f34e6.thumb.jpg.fa36943027706634efb0eb1d53ce64e5.jpg2023-DUC-Panigale-V4S_1200x1200_crop_center.thumb.jpg.dd14167c2ff7eb0310e181429426dc70.jpgDucati-Panigale-V4R-MY23-overview-gallery-08-1920x1080.thumb.jpg.0ac0ab7bbdd0ef2184484dd116b9044b.jpg2024-HONDA-CBR1000RR-R-COLORS.thumb.jpg.89d26b77f3601d4acab2382078ad2785.jpg

You can ride most any decent bike on a Vélodrome. I’ve ridden a dual purpose motorcycle used for motor pacing and the Keirin race on our Vélodrome. I think it was a KTM. Also rode a pacing e-bike at Boulder County Vélodrome.

Our track was 250m with 44deg banking. That’s steep as fuck. I think the steepest NASCAR courses are around 30deg.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

50 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Am I a miserable human being for not giving a single, solitary fuck about the paralympics?

I'm glad it exists but have no interest in watching.  I feel like that keeps me above the miserable human threshold.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Real Men of Genius….

Here’s to you, designer of the modern day synchronized swimming swimsuit. The full blown ass show is most welcome.

I thought it was water cheerleading

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexPx said:

You can ride most any decent bike on a Vélodrome. I’ve ridden a dual purpose motorcycle used for motor pacing and the Keirin race on our Vélodrome. I think it was a KTM. Also rode a pacing e-bike at Boulder County Vélodrome.

Our track was 250m with 44deg banking. That’s steep as fuck. I think the steepest NASCAR courses are around 30deg.

Okay, and if that's your passion great. I just watch a pace motorcycle and a couple of more laps. You bring up a very massive difference between track riding on a motorcycle (GP or dirt oval style) and this Vélodrome. 

That wall and the track mean the riders don't have to do 5 things.

1) Entry speed

2) Corner entrance

3) Apex

4) Exit point

5) Exit speed

When on a GP style track you're planning your line for the next corner entry, your breaking point, your corner entry speed, gearing for the best line to hit the apex and exit at the maximum speed. 

You also have gear selection and lean, setting weight, figuring out how to be ready to power AT the Apex through the exit and what exit/apex allow for the earliest point for entry. 

If you're breaking at any point in the corner, you did it wrong, if you're looking at exit point at apex, you're WAY behind. At apex you should already be set for exit, and looking to set line for the next corner. 

I type all this shit out to make the point, in circle bike track, non of that happens. Zero. 

I'm not dismissing the athletes, your interest in it, nor your enjoyment. I'm saying as spectator, on TV like many other vehicle racing sports it's boring. I think MotoGP and F1/GP is okay on TV, but in person, different world. For me personally, relative to a track day on a motorcycle or distance ride on a bicycle I'd much prefer both over going in a circle. Maybe I would enjoy Vélodrome riding, but I'm absolutely certain I'd never choose it over a day at the track on a motorcycle. Notice I haven't mentioned NASCAR? Because I don't love it either.

No right or wrong just opinions and bikes going in a circle is boring as shit to me, but hell, I like watching surfing so what the fuck do I know.

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Okay, now I understand. 

I thought that I heard someone saw that “artistic rimming was coming up”.

I felt that I should at least stick around to see what the fuss was all about.

Synchronized Swimming - macleanw

I'm not a really  strooonnng rimmer

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Real Men of Genius….

Here’s to you, designer of the modern day synchronized swimming swimsuit. The full blown ass show is most welcome.

I have absolutely zero interest in the sport, but damn me if I don't watch it.

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Synchronized Swimming - macleanw

I'm not a really  strooonnng rimmer

It's not Austistic or Spectrum Rimming yo!

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Kornacki level setting on USA vs China  remaining golds is why USA can never let China take over the world.
We got opportunities in a bunch of sprints, basketball and volleyball.

They got… ping pong and diving 

Yeah, but apparently there are 5,000 different categories of diving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, and if that's your passion great. I just watch a pace motorcycle and a couple of more laps. You bring up a very massive difference between track riding on a motorcycle (GP or dirt oval style) and this Vélodrome. 
That wall and the track mean the riders don't have to do 5 things.
1) Entry speed
2) Corner entrance
3) Apex
4) Exit point
5) Exit speed
When on a GP style track you're planning your line for the next corner entry, your breaking point, your corner entry speed, gearing for the best line to hit the apex and exit at the maximum speed. 
You also have gear selection and lean, setting weight, figuring out how to be ready to power AT the Apex through the exit and what exit/apex allow for the earliest point for entry. 
If you're breaking at any point in the corner, you did it wrong, if you're looking at exit point at apex, you're WAY behind. At apex you should already be set for exit, and looking to set line for the next corner. 
I type all this shit out to make the point, in circle bike track, non of that happens. Zero. 
I'm not dismissing the athletes, your interest in it, nor your enjoyment. I'm saying as spectator, on TV like many other vehicle racing sports it's boring. I think MotoGP and F1/GP is okay on TV, but in person, different world. For me personally, relative to a track day on a motorcycle or distance ride on a bicycle I'd much prefer both over going in a circle. Maybe I would enjoy Vélodrome riding, but I'm absolutely certain I'd never choose it over a day at the track on a motorcycle. Notice I haven't mentioned NASCAR? Because I don't love it either.
No right or wrong just opinions and bikes going in a circle is boring as shit to me, but hell, I like watching surfing so what the fuck do I know.

Last derail.
Not sure what u are you trying to convince me on. Kenny Roberts was a childhood hero of mine. My first road bike was a very scary ‘84 Yamaha RD 350LC. Bro owned a Yamaha dealership in Hot Springs and we rode all over The Ouachitas and Ozarks.

Loved the woods so raced Enduro and Cross Country for years before racing mountain bikes.

I think Moto GP is by far the most exciting road racing for spectators. Just saying Vélodrome track racing is cool and fun too and like everything else the more you know about it the more interesting it is.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2