2024 Paris Olympics

6 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Currently I am in China right now watching the Olympics on CCTV. I have no idea about what they are saying but it is non-stop coverage of all of the finals without commercials.

Why would they need commercials? We are the ones who buy all their crap.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Meh, I would settle for a gold medal tie and then we can do a jump off to determine the winner. 

It appears that China is up by 1 in the gold medal count with women’s basketball remaining so odds are good that ends in a tie. Jump off it is!

Edited by TonyTexas

19 hours ago, Underdog said:

Bet it's similar to opening round(s) kept March Madness with the different schools/fans in attendance at a tournament site. 

That would pale in comparison to the Olympics. During MM, there are 4 fan bases at each site. 200+ countries  have participated in the 2024 Summer Games

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That would pale in comparison to the Olympics. During MM, there are 4 fan bases at each site. 200+ countries  have participated in the 2024 Summer Games

We will find a way to fuck it up. Euros in Germany this summer was incredible. I would recommend putting Euro 2028 on your schedule. Being cohosted by Ireland/England/Scotland. World Cup 2030 is cohosted by Portugal/Spain/Morocco. These tournaments really should be hosted by soccer countries. Russia and Qatar were shames. 

US World Cup will be fun, but prices, cost of travel, distance of travel, no public transportation, etc is going to keep a lot of people out that would normally make it fun.

The opening game in Munich this summer had 5% of the Scottish population in Munich. Kilts and bagpipes blazing. That wont happen in the US.

Edited by HellesBier

19 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Our high jumper’s decision to have a jump off might cost us the gold medal race. 

18 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Usually best not to start playing that game. 
why not the men’s 4x100 inability to finally figure out how to execute the one thing they haven’t been able to in 2 decades. Or coming within .01 of winning that kayak race this morning, or a ton of other examples.

a new contender has entered the chat

47 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

My point wasn’t trying to compare but to mention you get a mixture of fan bases during MM, also there are 8 schools at an opening rd site. 

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

a new contender has entered the chat

Not taking a gold medal that is in your hands and would be a medal on the board for your country is about as dumb as it gets. Olympics is a team sport where you try to garner as many golds as possible as your represent your country. When you give up a guaranteed gold just so you can try and stroke your own ego, it is the pinnacle of selfishness. 

26 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So tied with ChiComs for golds at 40, won overall count by 35?  That sound right?

Correct.  We won the medal count and absolutely dominated the sports that aren’t completely worthless table.  We do need to up our game in air gun, ping pong, women’s boxing and weightlifting, badminton  and synchronized swimming though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Correct.  We won the medal count and absolutely dominated the sports that aren’t completely worthless table.  We do need to up our game in air gun, ping pong, women’s boxing and weightlifting, badminton  and synchronized swimming though.

We might want to look into diving
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Not taking a gold medal that is in your hands and would be a medal on the board for your country is about as dumb as it gets. Olympics is a team sport where you try to garner as many golds as possible as your represent your country. When you give up a guaranteed gold just so you can try and stroke your own ego, it is the pinnacle of selfishness. 

Do we know if the New Zealand guy would settle for a tie?  They would both need to agree…

48 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Will be quite different, just need to not try and emulate it. I fear way to much hollywood crap.

Yeah, this. I imagine at the flag transfer during the closing ceremony the LA rep is seriously thinking about backing away going "Nope nope nope we don't want this but merci mille fois."

On a scale of Paris 2024 to F1 Las Vegas, I fear a whole lot of Vegas + Hollywood. Hopefully not - LA if done well could also be a great event in its own right.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tara Lipinski has grown up into a hottie.

For the marathon LA could route it past sites of famous Hollywood murders. Start downtown at the Cecil Hotel and head past Bundy, Cielo Drive, Helena Drive, Bedford drive, Grandview Dr, Norton Avenue, and Holloway Dr. there’s others. I have no clue if you could route that for the marathon but maybe cycling road race.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Jesus, don’t interview the athletes while they’re walking into the stadium with the flag during the closing ceremony. Leave them alone to enjoy the moment. How fucking stupid. 

Yes. NBC has suddenly reverted back to forgetting to cover the event and instead doing a bunch of human interest crapola, with a sound system balance that’s so off you can’t even hear what they are saying if you wanted to, which I don’t. 

• Like 1

I miss the human interest stories.  I mean don’t interrupt events for it but they should have had more during the night recap broadcast or a section on Peacock for them.  It always got people more invested in the games. 

Having to compete in surfing in Tahiti kinda sucks in that you wont get all the fraternizing with all the other Olympians in the same city with all the Olympic Villlage atmosphere (and boning)

Just now, 52-80 said:

Having to compete in surfing in Tahiti kinda sucks in that you wont get all the fraternizing with all the other Olympians in the same city with all the Olympic Villlage atmosphere (and boning)

Well I mean at least you got to go to Tahiti.  In 2028 some of these poor sonofabitches have to segregate to Oklahoma City.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Well I mean at least you got to go to Tahiti.  In 2028 some of these poor sonofabitches have to segregate to Oklahoma City.  

I hope they decide to move more than just softball to locations outside of LA. I would love to attend an Olympic event without having to travel to LA which will be a madhouse 

Edited by perfectchaos007

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I hope they decide to move more than just softball to locations outside of LA. I would love to attend an Olympic event without having to travel to LA which will be a madhouse 

I think the other one that is going to be there involves whatever they are doing with canoes.

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Outside of NBA basketball players, I'd say that professional surfers are the least concerned about missing an opportunity to partake in high quality tail. They could have flown in for the last few days had they wanted.

Based on the reports the Olympic village is a shithole that was mostly abandoned by any athlete with big sponsorships. No AC.

Probably plenty of boning in Tahiti.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t see any way that Los Angeles will do as good or better a job as Paris did. France crushed it.

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Will be quite different, just need to not try and emulate it. I fear way to much hollywood crap.

1 hour ago, flatdawgs said:

Yeah, this. I imagine at the flag transfer during the closing ceremony the LA rep is seriously thinking about backing away going "Nope nope nope we don't want this but merci mille fois."

On a scale of Paris 2024 to F1 Las Vegas, I fear a whole lot of Vegas + Hollywood. Hopefully not - LA if done well could also be a great event in its own right.

I expect they'll go overboard with celebrity and the 'glamour' days of Hollywood.  But I think they'll be doing that mostly for foreign visitors who, despite what they say, will kinda be expecting it with excitement.  

I think there's plenty of environs in Southern California, even Inland, where they can host events in a World Class fashion. 

The surface transportation in Los Angeles is going to be a shitshow though, of the highest order.  Unless they completely overhaul the Metro A-K rail lines, I don't see how half the visitors get around those two weeks.  Plus half the venues aren't within walking distance of the nearest station.  We're gonna go for a week and stay at a friend's extra home near 405/Sunset.  Great location, horrific logistics to get to any venue.  Will we have the flying car thing by then? 

All that to say, despite Americans bitching and moaning about every perceived slight in France...Paris did a fucking fantastic job and will nearly impossible to top.  Only other Olympics in my adulthood that rivaled it was Beijing08, but you can put on a really great Olympiad when they have your family in a basement somewhere.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I expect they'll go overboard with celebrity and the 'glamour' days of Hollywood.  But I think they'll be doing that mostly for foreign visitors who, despite what they say, will kinda be expecting it with excitement.  

I think there's plenty of environs in Southern California, even Inland, where they can host events in a World Class fashion. 

The surface transportation in Los Angeles is going to be a shitshow though, of the highest order.  Unless they completely overhaul the Metro A-K rail lines, I don't see how half the visitors get around those two weeks.  Plus half the venues aren't within walking distance of the nearest station.  We're gonna go for a week and stay at a friend's extra home near 405/Sunset.  Great location, horrific logistics to get to any venue.  Will we have the flying car thing by then? 

All that to say, despite Americans bitching and moaning about every perceived slight in France...Paris did a fucking fantastic job and will nearly impossible to top.  Only other Olympics in my adulthood that rivaled it was Beijing08, but you can put on a really great Olympiad when they have your family in a basement somewhere.  

London 2012 was fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2024 at 2:11 PM, TonyTexas said:

Our high jumper’s decision to have a jump off might cost us the gold medal race. 

On 8/10/2024 at 2:16 PM, conVINCEd said:

I get pride. But it’s still a remarkably stupid,choice.  You’re still called an Olympic champion for the rest of your life if you tie.

I get the overall medal count but athletes compete to WIN. Especially in the Olympics due to them only coming around once every 4 yrs. It's the biggest exposure (at least here in the US for a lot of Olympic sports like track/field cuz many don't watch the world championships) Plus in the Olympics. it's $50k for the Gold medal. Those guys ain't splitting it.

22 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Down 1 gold to China.  Can win women’s hoops and women’s volleyball.

22 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

We're down 39-38 in the gold count with one day to go.

We're pretty much toast, at least to win outright.

China got all 5 that I projected + gold in women's 57kg boxing, an event I didn't include in my summary. So finished the day with 39.

US got all 3 that I projected + gold in women's soccer, an event I somehow missed and didn't include in my summary. We also got the women's 100m hurdles. So finished the day with 38.

We'll each win 1 gold tomorrow (theirs in women's weightlifting +81kg, ours in women's basketball).  That leaves our women's volleyball team needing to upset Italy and a rising sophomore wrestler at Iowa taking the gold medal match in the Women's Freestyle 76kg Final to take the outright gold medal count.

college gameday sport GIF

Every one forgets about the Gold Medal Winner from 2020.....She repeats for #40!!!🥇

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

London was fantastic.  Tokyo did great considering the circumstances.  Barcelona will always stick out in my head as well.  

It's like pizza, no such thing as a bad Olympics...just some that standout.  For me, and this is completely subjective, it's Paris/Beijing, then a handful of others, then everybody else since 1984---when I started understanding/following the Games.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

London was fantastic.  Tokyo did great considering the circumstances.  Barcelona will always stick out in my head as well.  

It's like pizza, no such thing as a bad Olympics...just some that standout.  For me, and this is completely subjective, it's Paris/Beijing, then a handful of others, then everybody else since 1984---when I started understanding/following the Games.  

Um, there is some real shitty pizza out there.