2024 Paris Olympics

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Outside of NBA basketball players, I'd say that professional surfers are the least concerned about missing an opportunity to partake in high quality tail. They could have flown in for the last few days had they wanted.

Just spitballin here but they would enjoy the camaraderie of 10,000 athletes from 200 countries at the start of the games than just 50 fellow surfers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Did I miss the handover? Usually the concert is at the end. 

This one was all French musicians. I'm guessing there'll be a second American show after the handover. Billie Eilish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Snoop are supposed to play.

1 minute ago, Texzilla588 said:

Such recency bias. La should also have The Beach Boys, Metallica, Los Lobos, Eagles, and Al Yankovich.

Chili Peppers still qualify being a LA homegrown band. What about Cypress Hill dammit?

And fuck yeah to Los Lobos.

2 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Tara Lipinski has grown up into a hottie.

For the marathon LA could route it past sites of famous Hollywood murders. Start downtown at the Cecil Hotel and head past Bundy, Cielo Drive, Helena Drive, Bedford drive, Grandview Dr, Norton Avenue, and Holloway Dr. there’s others. I have no clue if you could route that for the marathon but maybe cycling road race.

They can run through Forest Lawn.

For the marathon LA could route it past sites of famous Hollywood murders. Start downtown at the Cecil Hotel and head past Bundy, Cielo Drive, Helena Drive, Bedford drive, Grandview Dr, Norton Avenue, and Holloway Dr. there’s others. I have no clue if you could route that for the marathon but maybe cycling road race.

watching the closing ceremonies with my French house guest* has been awesome, getting some insight and perspective from the French pov. she's pretty pleased with France's performance and very proud of Paris. 🇫🇷 

(*exchange student from 2017-18, we visited her in France in May, she had to spend last week in College Station for work 😝 poor thing lol... so she came to Denver for a pallette-cleanser visit after 😄)

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

watching the closing ceremonies with my French house guest* has been awesome, getting some insight and perspective from the French pov. she's pretty pleased with France's performance and very proud of Paris. 🇫🇷 

(*exchange student from 2017-18, we visited her in France in May, she had to spend last week in College Station for work 😝 poor thing lol... so she came to Denver for a pallette-cleanser visit after 😄)

pics not loading

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

4 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

pics not loading

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Paris is a beautiful city…LA…hmmm.

Maybe I missed the memo where LA was deemed an ugly city.  We have our shitholes, but every city does.

LA will go big.  I hope they don’t corny it up.  But with all the entertainment minds we have here, it should be pretty awesome.  May have to look for some volunteer opportunities.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Maybe I missed the memo where LA was deemed an ugly city.  We have our shitholes, but every city does.

LA will go big.  I hope they don’t corny it up.  But with all the entertainment minds we have here, it should be pretty awesome.  May have to look for some volunteer opportunities.

They already have… oh wait, you haven’t watched the closing ceremony yet, have you? 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

London was fantastic.  Tokyo did great considering the circumstances.  Barcelona will always stick out in my head as well.  

It's like pizza, no such thing as a bad Olympics...just some that standout.  For me, and this is completely subjective, it's Paris/Beijing, then a handful of others, then everybody else since 1984---when I started understanding/following the Games.  

Munich would like a word with you. 

I just tuned into the NBC broadcast. Was it just the Athletes marching in so far?

Also, as a spectator at home, I think Paris knocked it out of the park. I think some athletes and spectators in person might have a few different views though. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about the Olympic Village as well as access to venues in the perimeter. Glad I was able to watch at home.

also, they just said most US medal total since LA in 1984. Also, USA tied China in gold medals. Still think those two Chinese gold swimming medals are very questionable.

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:
2 hours ago, mchookem said:

pics not loading

It took some digging but I finally found a pic of @mchookem's French exchange student.

125417_R8MSUNLP.jpg?mode=Fill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Oh yeah we’re absolutely gonna fuck up LA (and the World Cup for whoever mentioned that). Soulless corporate money grabs is all our sports-industrial complex knows how to do anymore. 

LA has done this multiple times before. Something tells me they will be ok.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon