2024 Paris Olympics

Not a big Cruise fan but the handover sequence was pretty cool.

Yeah, Should have had Los Lobos instead of the Chili Peppers. Nobody more LA than LL. Proficient in most genres of American music and supremely talented. Also just celebrated 50 years of making great music.

Yeah, Should have had Los Lobos instead of the Chili Peppers. Nobody more LA than LL. Proficient in most genres of American music and supremely talented. Also just celebrated 50 years of making great music.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

After the hand over I apologize in advance. But if this is how it is going to go then I am rooting for the earthquake in Spring of 2028.

LA does not surpass Paris as the culture capital of the world.

LA is the film and television capital of the world. They will do just fine. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Jimmy Two Times Goodfellas GIF

😀

• Haha 2

I hate LA, and I’ll be there for 2028.  My daughter graduates in 2026 but odds are that she or my son will still be in the area.   He’s 2028 from San Diego.  Either way we’ll find a bunch of events to attend.  It won’t be Paris but I’m sure it’ll be a blast.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

They're hosting the skateboarding/bmx and archery events in the Valley at Sepulveda Dam. 107 degree temperatures ftw.

The guy staying at 405/Sunset. Should be easy commute to Santa Monica for beach volleyball. Plus the Clippers new place in Inglewood is probably a 15 minute drive. Getting Downtown or to Hollywood from there is awful though usually 

LA natives will eagerly list their homes on Air BnB and leave town for two weeks. Traffic won't be that bad

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

Jordan

Carl Lewis

Jackie Joyner Kersey

There will be a lot of good candidates.  But it will be hard to top Ali in Atlanta.

Good list. What about Kobe in a hologram?

I hope Edwin Moses gets some love.

And ya know she will make an appearance.

image.jpeg.8744be30487f8e9aa7c32979f8923292.jpeg

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

France handing off to the USA is pretty fucking special given the history between the two countries. 

We have a county, just one down from mine, named after Lafayette called Fayette County.  I’ve never had a problem with France.  Always enjoyed my time visiting.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

After the hand over I apologize in advance. But if this is how it is going to go then I am rooting for the earthquake in Spring of 2028.

LA does not surpass Paris as the culture capital of the world.

What’s water, asks the fish.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Its official there will be no breaking in the LA games. 

Gonna need a source to confirm this man. Don't post some shit in jest that brings me joy only for me to find out it's lies...  that's just cruel dude.

One big reason why these Olympics have been a runaway success this time is joy.

The last two Olympics have been behind closed doors, run from a ChiCom gulag with them shoving swabs into noses and hauling off anyone who popped hot for COVID, or with everyone in Japan locked up in their hotels. You have to go back to February 2018 in the mountains of South Korea to find anyone who was visibly enjoying themselves. 

Looking forward to Los Angeles in 2028.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Good list. What about Kobe in a hologram?

I hope Edwin Moses gets some love.

And ya know she will make an appearance.

image.jpeg.8744be30487f8e9aa7c32979f8923292.jpeg

It should be Lewis, but my bet would be Louganis...

Phelps will get it the next time it is in US.

Edit: wonder how Ueberroth is doing.  He will be 90 by then.  Joan Benoit would be certainly one to bring it in but maybe not light it.

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 2

while using the googles I saw this.  he died in 2017 but last line was interesting.

"Adolph Kiefer, the 100-meter backstroke champion at the 1936 Berlin Games who was America’s oldest living Olympic gold medalist in any sport, has died. He was 98.

He died Friday at his home in Wadsworth, Illinois, about 50 miles north of Chicago, according to grandson Robin Kiefer.

Kiefer had been hospitalized with pneumonia in recent months. He had neuropathy that kept him confined to a wheelchair later in life, but he continued swimming because he could still stand in the water, Robin Kiefer said. Kiefer became an Olympic champion as a 17-year-old in an Olympic-record time that stood for 20 years. He was also the first man to break 1 minute in the 100 backstroke, doing so as a high school swimmer in Illinois. He later competed for the University of Texas."

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I love LA. Hope they show the city and not just Hollywood. Show California as a whole.

And if you have read “The Grapes of Wrath”, then you know that an important part of California’s history goes back to central Oklahoma.

That is why the white water 🛶 events and the softball 🥎 events will be held in one of America’s meth capitals.

13 hours ago, WBT said:

Jordan

Carl Lewis

Jackie Joyner Kersey

There will be a lot of good candidates.  But it will be hard to top Ali in Atlanta.

It will be IMPOSSIBLE to top Ali.

Even if Mark Spitz (from California) and (Bruce) Caitlyn Jenner go prancing up the steps to light the flame, holding the torch together, it was have 10% of the impact that Ali had.

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

We have a county, just one down from mine, named after Lafayette called Fayette County.  I’ve never had a problem with France.  Always enjoyed my time visiting.

My mom grew up in a Lafayette county, but not in your state.

17 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

France and Paris knocked this one out of the park, from the opening ceremony until the very end. Perhaps my favorite overall Olympics. Bravo.

Any Olympics missing Russia is always a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I’m interested in the difference in criteria.

WSJ has us 2nd

In the pool, French swimming icon Léon Marchand became the pride of his state—and Arizona State. Marchand packed his Speedos and crossed the ocean to swim in a desert climate because of Bob Bowman, the former Sun Devils coach who has since moved to Texas. Which means there may just be more Longhorn medalists in Los Angeles four years from now.

Not that Texas needs much help after finishing second on the medal stand behind Stanford.

The gold medalists in red, white, blue and burnt orange included golfer Scottie Scheffler, basketball star Kevin Durant and shot-put legend Ryan Crouser. But the most impressive Longhorn might have been Julien Alfred, who became Saint Lucia’s first medalist and the world’s fastest woman.

And the Texas athletes understood better than most people in Paris why Stanford might want to savor those Olympic wins while it still can.

After all, it’s almost college-football season.

https://www.wsj.com/sports/olympics/olympics-medals-total-usa-stanford-texas-f5cdc101?st=uhqkbi03yj9teck&reflink=article_copyURL_share

4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah clearly they must be using different methods for accounting.  Can't vouch for the one I posted, I just thought it was interesting.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

1st day with no Olympics to watch while at work.  Not a fan.

I'm streaming modern pentathlon that I didn't watch this weekend.  It's still new to me (not many modern pentathlon spoilers in my media diet) and I remember enjoying it from Tokyo.

A frenchwoman's horse just pulled up short on a jump, kicked a rail over with his front feet, then dipped his head to flip her onto the pile of rails.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

didn't realize spitz was from California.  that would be a good one.

Bruce/Caitlyn would be hilariously appropriate.

Yeah both of those would be good.

Greg Louganis might be a tad more palatable than Jenner who seems to spend most of her free time bashing California and complaining about its leadership. Hell, she's out there protesting the 24 games as the "woke olympics."